ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£900 budget for tv

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hi

Hi looking for a TV no bigger than a 45inch due to space. Its going to be stand mounted. Not fussed about 3d, but will need to be good for the footie ;)

Any recommendations??

​cheers

I'm probably going to cause some xbox vs playstation style war here - but don't get a Sony Bravia

I have a 32" Samsung in one living room and a 46" 3D Sony Bravia in the other living room

The Samsung I bought 6 years ago - it's been EPIC. Never gone wrong and been used way more than a TV should.
At the same time I bought that my mate bought 2 samsung TV's (a 32 and a 46) and again both are still going strong.

Now the 46" Sony Bravia I bought last year when I moved into my new house for the main living room. Less than 2 months old it packed up.
Had a repair company come out from Sony who took it away and then told me the screen and power board needed completely replacing. Took them 3 weeks!
Since then occasionally it turns on with no picture and I have to go through a complex hold-this-while-turning-off-and-on-again process to reset it just to get it to power up.

It's a temperamental cheap piece of s**t and I have no idea why people bang on about Sony so much.
When it died I googled the symptoms (flashing power light) and found forums full of pissed off Sony owners

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have a Panasonic viera 50" plasma 3d tv and love it, great for the F1 in HD.

Its about a year old now so it could be within your budget.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
My brother has my old 42" Samsung Plasma which must be knocking on for 7 years old which still works faultlessly and I've got a 32" Samsung in the bedroom, again no problems. My main TV is a 50" Panasonic which has also been faultless and is around 2/3 years old, in my experience Samsung do make very reliable units.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^ooft!! thats nice!

Do we think there may be a bank holiday sale?! As in f**k buying one this weekend in case there is £100 knocked off it the next!

SQ5
I doubt it, its a John Lewis exclusive, may be worth waiting a couple of weeks. May be popular though as we're having to wait until the 21st for delivery!

Mini JCW
Of course, Panasonic is basically Pioneers old technology.

But Pioneer no longer make televisions ;)

However, 9G Kuros are still relavant and comparable, even to the current VT and ZT65 sets which are the best displays this year ;)

Rav4
However, 9G Kuros are still relavant and comparable, even to the current VT and ZT65 sets which are the best displays this year ;)

I still have my Pioneer (not 9G Kuro though), it's very big compared to most other TV's, but it's awesome and cannot get rid of it.

Everyone loves different brands. I think Panasonic's are great, but some Samsung's are too. Just personal preference really.

​G.

Rav4
Last time I heard anyone say panasonics were the best was when Plasma was still a thing Samsung LED tv's are amazing.

Samsung LED's are great, but they still have quite a few issues apparently.

I was going to get a 7000/8000 series but AVForums have ruined it for me.

:)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just ordered

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l42et61b-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-42-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p450103?kpid=231948461&s_kenid=0a06dadd-1e60-c6c9-a362-0000541fb00e&s_kwcid=7x2146811&tmad=c&tmcampid=52

not quite the unit recommended the other page, but space is tight and a 47" would have been too big for the lounge I feel (its needs to be stand mounted)

My mate used to work in the trade and swore by Panasonic. I currently have a Samsung 40 inch. Its ok, just run of the mill, but only has a clear motion rate of 50, so gets blurry when watching the footie. Hopefully this coupled with Sky HD should satisfy me for the mean time!

SQ5
Nice choice :)

We were going for the non-3D version of that originally, then decided its a TV for a new house which we will be in a while so dipped into the deposit money!

Golf GTi Mk2
I've had 2 vieras, a 37" plasma and a 42" LCD, the plasma was a 720p set but gave a much better image than my current 1080p LCD, all in my opinion of course.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nice choice :)

We were going for the non-3D version of that originally, then decided its a TV for a new house which we will be in a while so dipped into the deposit money!

​Priorities, you have them right :)

Mini JCW
Last time I heard anyone say panasonics were the best was when Plasma was still a thing

Samsung LED tv's are amazing.

Plasma IS still a thing - hence the reference status awards for the latest VT and ZT panels.

I'm hard pressed choosing between a VT65 plasma and W9 series Sony LCD though.

Plasma is still very much here at the moment!

I bought the GT50 for £800, cracking TV.....especially considering it was £1500 in 2012.

Plasma > LED too ;)

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Plasma IS still a thing - hence the reference status awards for the latest VT and ZT panels.

I'm hard pressed choosing between a VT65 plasma and W9 series Sony LCD though.

Is go for the Sony. I have the award winning 55" HX853 from last year and it is awesome.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just ordered

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-l42et61b-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-42-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p450103?kpid=231948461&s_kenid=0a06dadd-1e60-c6c9-a362-0000541fb00e&s_kwcid=7x2146811&tmad=c&tmcampid=52

not quite the unit recommended the other page, but space is tight and a 47" would have been too big for the lounge I feel (its needs to be stand mounted)

My mate used to work in the trade and swore by Panasonic. I currently have a Samsung 40 inch. Its ok, just run of the mill, but only has a clear motion rate of 50, so gets blurry when watching the footie. Hopefully this coupled with Sky HD should satisfy me for the mean time!

Well had said tv for a week, nice clear picture when on HD and generally happy with it......

But it seems to suffer excessive back light bleed round the 4 corners when the picture is dark?? This cant be normal surely??

SQ5
The Samsungs do that massively too.

Mines still in the box, but had a play with the 55" version at work last week, very nice picture.