ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£50 Challenge

If you had £50 to spend on a piece of kit, what would it be and why?

Lens? Bag? Tripod?

Shoot away! (no pun intended) ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Dan can you recommend a cheap tripod, it's actually for my new bridge FZ38.

Thought i'd get a lot more out it with a Tripod. :)

Thanks.

gally - Good choice. A tripod is a must if you want to get serious.

Although I can't recommend a specific model, I would pop into Jessops and try a few out that are in budget.

BUT....if you ever want to move up to SLR cameras (heavier, longer lenses etc) then you might want to factor that into your decision possibly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks very much for that Dan, my usual motto is by the best to start with save buying twice.

Maybe I should listen to it! Do most camera's fit most tripods then?

I'd be up for a meet.

Like at beach in Wales somewhere, or somewhere interesting in the Midlands......

Despite living in Southampton, I wouldn't mind the drive to Wales, some of the scenery looks really nice around there!

If enough people were up for it, I think it would be a decent day!

Pretty much every camera, even point and shoots will have the thread to fit any tripod. Have a look at the bottom of your camera, there should be a threaded 'hole'.

So any tripod will theoretically do, it's just a case of the quality - which will affect it's maximum load, maximum height and things like that.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Probably another memory card (nice expensive CF cards on the 7d :dead:) or a second battery.

Got a tripod, filters and a flash already !

Remote is always good.. RC-2 (IIRC) about £15 on Amazon.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Gally - I got a £15 Hama Star 12 (or something like that) tripod from Amazon. It's not the best, but it does the job ! Extends to be taller than me and has given me some epic shots in the past. Can't imagine it'll be amazing in high wind but there's a hook to hang more mass on if needed.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Dan can you recommend a cheap tripod, it's actually for my new bridge FZ38.

Thought i'd get a lot more out it with a Tripod. :)

Thanks.

If you haven't sorted one by the summer meet mate you can have my jessops one, it's just gathering dust tbh. Pretty basic but fine for a bridge.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Gally - I got a £15 Hama Star 12 (or something like that) tripod from Amazon. It's not the best, but it does the job ! Extends to be taller than me and has given me some epic shots in the past. Can't imagine it'll be amazing in high wind but there's a hook to hang more mass on if needed.

If you haven't sorted one by the summer meet mate you can have my jessops one, it's just gathering dust tbh. Pretty basic but fine for a bridge.
Thanks dudes! :)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've just spent close to £50 on a new bag. Lowepro Fastpack 250 and it seems pretty decent.

So my next "spare" £50 will be going on or towards a decent tripod. I have a £10 one but i wouldn't trust it on the new camera so i'll use it for the flash.

Gally - if you spot any decent deals can you put the link up?

Cheers

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Will do mate. Those Hama star ones are good but i'll have a gander in jessops.

Can literally just scrape another battery for £50, ouch.

Would be that or another CF card like TEG says, the 5Dii munches through them.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Can literally just scrape another battery for £50, ouch.

Would be that or another CF card like TEG says, the 5Dii munches through them.

7day shops batteries are awesome + cheap

Mk2 ph1 clio
Massive saving on the battery for my camera on 7dayshop lol ... £130 for canon one ... £15 on 7dayshop lol.

With £50 I'd probably go for a new CF card, something that can keep up with the continuous shooting on my camera.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I am up for a meet up, it would be a good excuse to shoot something other than weddings. London is always a good place to meet, I would always be happy to help some of you out.

I think I would spend £50 getting all the rubber bits put back on my D800, its falling apart.. Maybe a sensor clean. D4 is on its way for just after Xmas :)

However if people want fun things to make photography more interesting, buy a glass prism, stick it in front of your lens and shoot away! You can get some awesome results.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
A cliosport national photography meet sounds like a spot on plan :smile: Somewhere central of the country

Still got an original 18-55 EFS lens and would like some money go towards a new cheap new lens

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be up for a meet one day.
I actually managed to get a tripod for under £50. The hama traveller pro. Suits me for when I'm walking around the mountains, at the beach etc. If I need anything more substantial I'll use my manfroto.

@gally If you are still looking...
http://www.tesco.com/direct/hama-traveller-compact-pro-tripod/210-4437.prd

I've also just got a new day bag for when I go to London, the Crumpler Jack pack 5500 which I paid £28 instead of £72, brand new on eBay.

If i was still looking to spend £50 then I'd go for a 50mm 1.8 lens.

I'd be up for a meet as well.
Really lost the plot photography wise in recent months.
I'm more into mountain biking now and can never be arsed to carry the camera with me.

London might be a good shout or somewhere central in the country if not.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I could do London but I'd need a fair bit of notice to get the train ticket price down from £100 ish to £40 ish.
Most other places I'd drive, unless it was a city spot.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
City would be decent I think. Probably better than trying to get a clear night in the country for stars.

Birmingham? Manchester?
I've never been to Birmingham so I don't really know whats there. Manchester is OK.

Birmingham more central, sorry for stating the obvious ;)
Haven't been in years, but have seen some cool shots of the various interesting buildings in the city centre.

Manc is good as well, bit far for me personally though.

Swift Sport
If you met in Birmingham and I was free on the night that you arranged I'd tag along. My photography skills are limited but I'm an enthusiastic noob lol.