ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£40 E-Bay Chip For Valver That Worked!

Williams 2 - Clio 1.9D
I know there has been alot of talk about these cheap chips off E-Bay and alike and if they work or not. I read a few of these and I think the general view is go for a full re-map, but these are expensive :dapprove: . If I was going to spend £000's on my engine then I would just drop a 2lt bottom end in. So I decided to purchase this chip.
Now I'm not saying I believed everything the guy said on his ad and I know compared to re-maps etc.. it won't be half as good but for value?
£40 posted I thought I'd try it.
The result: She is now more drivable, has better throttle response, improved low - mid range torque and he even set my rev limiter to what ever I wanted (Went for a sensible 7300rpm's :boring: ) I think for £40 it was very good value for money.
I'm planning to do a couple more small things to the engine like modding the throttle bodie and what have you then get her on the rollers so I'll post the results.
I'd like to hear anyone elses experiences with these types of cheap chips & whether or not they've worked for them etc...

depends if it's a actual ECU eprom or the infamous ebay resistor chip. Sounds like a Gunner chip, in which case for the price you cant go wrong, so ignore the misinformed if that's the case pal

Williams 2 - Clio 1.9D
Yeah its an Eprom chip not a resister. No one should pay 99p for a resister let alone £40! Haha :clown:
Don't know what damage "Pettsi" thinks will be done. I'd like to know rather than him just writing that but I guess he doesn't know either?
Whats the "gunner chip" then?

he probably thinks you bought an ebay resistor chip, but whatever you bought should be fine as it would simply not run the car if it was wrong.

Gunner chip is one of the lads off Williams Clio, he has a load of maps and the WinOLS software to edit the fueling on them etc and rev limits and has a good selection of maps, sounds like the same sort of thing you bought, in which case it's a bargain for an ECU, as depending on what map it's using you wouldn't see much more of a gain from an RR map, as these were all done on an RR at some stage anyway, just not on your engine.

A Real Cup
he probably thinks you bought an ebay resistor chip, but whatever you bought should be fine as it would simply not run the car if it was wrong.

Gunner chip is one of the lads off Williams Clio, he has a load of maps and the WinOLS software to edit the fueling on them etc and rev limits and has a good selection of maps, sounds like the same sort of thing you bought, in which case it's a bargain for an ECU, as depending on what map it's using you wouldn't see much more of a gain from an RR map, as these were all done on an RR at some stage anyway, just not on your engine.

Are you saying the resistor jobbies wouldn't do any damage?

Clio 172
Sounds like a good purchase. I know someone who does chips for Rover diesels and to flash a chip with the program costs a few quid so he can sell them on at a low price and make profit, sounds alot like what this guy is doing.

Are you saying the resistor jobbies wouldn't do any damage?

no, I'm saying it's clearly not a resistor chip... hence me saying Eprom :rolleyes: