ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£3000 to spends Turbo or Bodies?

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I got f**ked over when using Omex before as part of a badly experienced job I had done! Also its an arse to find anywhere close to me that maps it! And most people ened up going back and forward for a few months before its good!

unlucky, had mine 6+ years and it's never once had any issues :)

Ph1
Might be easy to say go out and buy a faster car with the money but in reality it'll cost a heck of a lot more than just a 3k premium with all the running costs, insurance etc etc

Best option imo would be either turboing or saving up a tad more for a supercharger. These 2 options have one major advantage over TB's, huge future potential !

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Is an SC totaly out of the question? Wait a bit to save for it? I personally wouldn't turbo it. TB's sound amazing and if you can get 200bhp it will be brilliant but i'd only get itb's if the price was very good, i.e alot cheaper than the charger. I'd love a sc'd clio, i almost did it but decided to change car instead

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
A fail to see how people can say a clio with 200bhp is 'an absoloute weapon'... where would it be a weapon, track.. possibly, although i've seen standard cars driven well match tb'ed ones so the difference isnt that great.
In a straight line? Pfft.

Its a 30bhp increase max, yeah of course you'l notice the difference but turning a relatively quick car into "a weapon"... not gonna happen!

Oh and Andyman, are you forgetting the fact you will have to declare the turbo/supercharger/tb's. I could insure alot faster car than my trophy for the same money if i declared a turbo conversion!

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
A fail to see how people can say a clio with 200bhp is 'an absoloute weapon'... where would it be a weapon, track.. possibly, although i've seen standard cars driven well match tb'ed ones so the difference isnt that great.

Its a 30bhp increase max, yeah of course you'l notice the difference but turning a relatively quick car into "a weapon"... not gonna happen!

Oh and Andyman, are you forgetting the fact you will have to declare the turbo/supercharger/tb's. I could insure alot faster car than my trophy for the same money if i declared a turbo conversion!

More a case of fail to understand, which is fairly common on this board. Power delivery is completely different, but unless you have driven one extensively then you simply wont understand this.

As far as insuring other cars go, people also quickly forget what cars they are comparing them to and must think that Evo's have the same mpg and general running costs of a Clio :rolleyes:

My advice is this: dont listen to people on here, they dont know what they are talking about and have pre conceived notions rather than actual knowledge or experience. Sorry if this offends some people, but sadly it's true.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I'd probably look to go down the supercharger route if it was me - the mini cooper s I've got is pretty quick already and the supercharger conversion for the Clio takes it about 65bhp higher then mine (got an uprated pulley on mine already) while being lighter then the mini. Makes an awesome noise in my opinion.

Never had throttle bodies, but had twin 45's on a kit car - they sounded cool, but I prefer the supercharger - more torque all the way through the revs, and pretty progressive.

White Evo V
LMAO at the people saying buy a faster car! Thats boring! If you love the clio then spend the money on it! I did and I have NO regrets at all! Its awesome!

For £4k I got 252bhp and 202lbft from RS Tunings Supercharger kit! Its awesome, see my supercharged monaco thread in the media section! You would love it!

Ph1

Dont get hung up on peak power. Its what the car does all the way through the rev range that counts.
For example my 172 was running only 182 bhp with roughly 165lb/ft (at the time) of basic mods (cams 182 mani etc) which sounds rubbish but with full interior, 25kg's of ICE, heavy Speedlines it was still able to beat my mates stock R32 on 3 back to back runs on a quarter mile plus some other 2ltr Turbo units it shouldnt have even got near really. Best time was 14.4

Its all in the set up and driveability not peak power.

The Supercharger conversion is insane in terms of out and out acceleration! If you had a go in one you'd change your views. ;)

Insurance will go up but not by stupid amounts. Someone posted a quote up on a charger thread and it was in the mid 100's.

EVO's annual fuel and service bill alone would pay for a charger conversion

SQ5
FFS some people do not read! Coilovers and brakes have been upgraded so there fine! I've done around 1300 track miles this year alone with tuition lol! I feel I now have my car on it's limits, the only thing I haven't spent much on is the engine which only has matched inlets and itg panel filter

the car is basically setup ready for more power!

Still getting mixed opinions about what to get, still set on turbo though due to the potential afterwards! And stop suggesting f**king superchargers! I don't have 6k

williams and trophy
More a case of fail to understand, which is fairly common on this board. Power delivery is completely different, but unless you have driven one extensively then you simply wont understand this.

As far as insuring other cars go, people also quickly forget what cars they are comparing them to and must think that Evo's have the same mpg and general running costs of a Clio :rolleyes:

My advice is this: dont listen to people on here, they dont know what they are talking about and have pre conceived notions rather than actual knowledge or experience. Sorry if this offends some people, but sadly it's true.

lol...keyboard warriors not knowing wtf they talkin about in terms of tuning........ i told u that bout TAWT or woteva they called......would u listen???

knowledge on this forum is very very limited ;)

v6
FFS some people do not read! Coilovers and brakes have been upgraded so there fine! I've done around 1300 track miles this year alone with tuition lol! I feel I now have my car on it's limits, the only thing I haven't spent much on is the engine which only has matched inlets and itg panel filter

Still getting mixed opinions about what to get, still set on turbo though due to the potential afterwards! And stop suggesting f**king superchargers! I don't have 6k

This i can testify to! :evil:

Danny, i'm going to annoy you and suggest a supercharger! Circa £4k but 250bhp/200lbft is nice plus apparantly puts less stress on the drivetrain than a turbo due to the linear power delivery.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=451227&highlight=supercharger

03 RS clio 172 flameR
well iv been out in bens 172, and it is very fast and very drivable, but iv also been out in the gdi supercharged clio, and as andyman said... its INSANE!!! but so is 6k! imo they are both the best options, have yet to try the turbo kit but would only buy from ktec, not the link on the first page from ebay, bens setup is great for the money and if i wasnt a cheap b*****d id copy his like a gimp, but i am, the supercharger kit is ultimate, but if its too expensive then its to expensive, if you want to buy now get bodys, if you wanna wait and save and you really devoted to tuning the clio, then get the S/C

Ph1

Calm yourself down fella. No need for the attitude.

Sure the charger can be had in the region of 4k

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
Dont get hung up on peak power. Its what the car does all the way through the rev range that counts.
For example my 172 was running only 182 bhp with roughly 165lb/ft (at the time) of basic mods (cams 182 mani etc) which sounds rubbish but with full interior, 25kg's of ICE, heavy Speedlines it was still able to beat my mates stock R32 on 3 back to back runs on a quarter mile plus some other 2ltr Turbo units it shouldnt have even got near really. Best time was 14.4

Its all in the set up and driveability not peak power.

The Supercharger conversion is insane in terms of out and out acceleration! If you had a go in one you'd change your views. ;)

Insurance will go up but not by stupid amounts. Someone posted a quote up on a charger thread and it was in the mid 100's.

EVO's annual fuel and service bill alone would pay for a charger conversion

Oh Peak power is pointless I know, but then again so is spending so much on N/A tuning in my opinion.
Ive done it before, wasted alot of money and its not worth it for the money spent.
Ive spent the past part of 2k on my last car to get a roughly 80bhp increase to see nearly 220bhp/ton, yes it was turbo'ed but still...the amount you would have to spend on an n/a clio to get it to that level just isnt worth the expense.

End of the day its your car, if your happy spending £4k on a clio you will never get back to gain at a max 40bhp.. fine :boring:

Ph1
Oh Peak power is pointless I know, but then again so is spending so much on N/A tuning in my opinion.
Ive done it before, wasted alot of money and its not worth it for the money spent.
Ive spent the past part of 2k on my last car to get a roughly 80bhp increase to see nearly 220bhp/ton, yes it was turbo'ed but still...the amount you would have to spend on an n/a clio to get it to that level just isnt worth the expense.

End of the day its your car, if your happy spending £4k on a clio you will never get back to gain at a max 40bhp.. fine :boring:

What im saying is, folk see X amount of K's spent for X amount of BHP and think its simply not worth it on a Clio ie paper gains as they do indeed look rubbish but in reality the drive is a hell of a lot different as the examples i quoted further up.

From experience of modding the Clio its far better spending a decent amount on forced induction than skirting about with bolt on's. All or nowt basically for these imo

Anyone can go out and buy a Scooby or a Evo, borrringgg :dead:

RS Clio Trophy
Mate...more air and more petrol is exactly what creates more power?!?

I'd choose bodies myself. What's your beef with Omex? Was it the hardware/software or a 3rd part issue i.e mapping?
You cant just dump more petrol and air through an engine WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE and expect a decent return in power that doesent run like a tractor

2005 Nissan Navara
Why cant you?

Everything has its limit, naturally....but yes, you can "just" fit ITB's and calibrate the fuelling/ignition to suit, and it will make more power.

The thing with itb's is the torque increase everywhere throughout the rev-range....so no mattter where you are rpm wise, there is more torque and power available=quicker car.

Its horses for courses...imo if you are going to go down the turbocharged route, you AT LEAST want forged pistons aswell, which will take the total past your £3k budget.

Coupe/Defender V8
I am still in two mind to go either ITBS/Turbo. I have however been out in K-Tecs low pressure turbo and it is needless to say rather FAST even if not as insane as Bens SC. The low down torque is a god send.

alien green rs133
i find itb's are pretty savage,

if you like the roar and gained torque and power everywhere then get itb's just dont expect it to be as smooth as standard.

imo turbo is smoother and yes you can get silly power out of a turbo, IF you put low comp pistons in. putting boost into a high compression engine is bonkers

with adding power to an engine you have gotta think is the drivetrain gonna handle it

we ran an f4r on a jc5 gearbox f4r had cams and itb's
4 gearbox's later we went for sadav seq box :rasp:

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Why cant you?
Its horses for courses...imo if you are going to go down the turbocharged route, you AT LEAST want forged pistons aswell, which will take the total past your £3k budget.

To be fair, thats utter rubbish. Build and set up a half decent turbo/Supercharged engine and forged pistons and steel H section rods aren't a must by any means. Not until you start running fairly high boost ratios anyway. I built a Mini engine once running cheap Omega cast pistons and got 210bhp.
Don't get me wrong, my motto is "Fit and forget" so I agree that forged pistons and H beam rods are definatly the way forward on a race motor. But for a lad trying to stick to a budget like in this case with a fairly low boost motor, the standard pistons and rods will be fine.

If it were me I would go down the forced route. ITB's obviously make good power in these cars reliably as its been proven. Thing is, if your looking at bang for buck the turbo or S/C will always win. I'm currently building a n/a motor for my vee using the rare Trophy inlet manifold and other goodies but deep down i know a positive displacment blower plonked on top of the motor would be heaps better in all areas out the crate........................other than fuel economy that is! lmao

2005 Nissan Navara
To be fair, thats utter rubbish. Build and set up a half decent turbo/Supercharged engine and forged pistons and steel H section rods aren't a must by any means. Not until you start running fairly high boost ratios anyway. I built a Mini engine once running cheap Omega cast pistons and got 210bhp.
Don't get me wrong, my motto is "Fit and forget" so I agree that forged pistons and H beam rods are definatly the way forward on a race motor. But for a lad trying to stick to a budget like in this case with a fairly low boost motor, the standard pistons and rods will be fine.

If it were me I would go down the forced route. ITB's obviously make good power in these cars reliably as its been proven. Thing is, if your looking at bang for buck the turbo or S/C will always win. I'm currently building a n/a motor for my vee using the rare Trophy inlet manifold and other goodies but deep down i know a positive displacment blower plonked on top of the motor would be heaps better in all areas out the crate........................other than fuel economy that is! lmao

How can you say its utter rubbish, THEN go on to say your motto is "fit and forget"? You obviously follow my logic!

My point is, if your going to do it, do it right. That means fitting forged pistons and altering the cam spec is the way to best results when fitting a turbocharger to these engines. Sure, you can do it half-cocked....but why spend £3000 getting 50%?? I dont see the logic personally. And this is aside from longevity.

Aside from that, turbocharger engines and supercharger engines arent really comparable in terms of "when forged pistons are required"...a s/c based engine will inherently tolerate higher cr's due to the way boost is produced (i.e with squared root of rpm), and will inherently perform better with NA type cam profiles and timings. So your average centrifugal s/c conversion will always work better than your average turbo conversion.

Tav

Clio 197
No one being a pikey and just running a decompression plate to lower compression? Back in the day VW ran a 8.5:1 CR in their boosted cars, much close to 10:1 with direct injection. I'd be wanting it nearer 9:1 or below on the Clio.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
How can you say its utter rubbish, THEN go on to say your motto is "fit and forget"? You obviously follow my logic!

My point is, if your going to do it, do it right. That means fitting forged pistons and altering the cam spec is the way to best results when fitting a turbocharger to these engines. Sure, you can do it half-c**ked....but why spend £3000 getting 50%?? I dont see the logic personally. And this is aside from longevity.

The reason I said "its not a MUST" is because its obviouse we arent talking about a balls out 25+psi motor here are we. At this level of tune, solving the problem and combating pre det is more important than firing expensive materials at it to cope with it. Your dead right that cams with the correct overlap and lift will give better power gains but like this chap has stated, he's just after a decent power hike to match his decent chassis. Ive fiddled with Volvo T5 engines before and know that by fitting the easy to find 2.5 N/A cams it gives a power hike from the so called better, more suited turbo cams. A friend of mine had his go from 296 to 328bhp doing this so the fact is, there's sod all technicaly wrong with running stock cams. End of the day, if you've got the money build the motor from the bottom up and uprate it where possible. If not, build it with a sensible limit for the level of tune you have and don't go beyond it.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Just a quick one on this raging cam debate,

The last time I was at RStuning we done a run with the VVT disabled. This in theory gave the perfect setting with very little overlap.

The result was a 10-15 bhp loss through out the rev range.

The standard 1*2 cams in the dephased state are almost indentical in profile to the catcams Turbo profile for the f7r engines obvious a different engine but you would of thought it would work to a varying degree.

Steve

2005 Nissan Navara
F4R cams:
in--269* / 11.25mm lift
ex--256* / 10.25
The F4R in dephased are 0.4mm lift at tdc on inlet, 1.55mm on exhaust

F7R turbo cams:
in--258* / 10.65mm
ex--268* / 9.3mm
inlet 1.55mm at tdc ex 0.6mm at tdc.

Quite different specs and very different timing figures. .