ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£300 to spend on 172 Cup mods, what to do?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
ben_p said:
how ofteen is goin to the ring though? our roads are sh*te, standard setup with apex springs would do for any "steet racer" a bit of noise and power is a far bettrer option,

Again rubbish Got Koni and eibach sportlines and it rides better than the std set-up and takes bumps better and is so much more composed. Ring was used as an example. Your car will be faster safer and more enjoyable if you get the sus and brakes done before bothering with more HP. Exhaust yes but just for the noises as the std one is terrible.

Do as he wants but this is the facts.

If you put APEX on std shock then the ride is terrible i know have tried most of the options.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
jon_r said:
Personally i'd spend the £300 on two trackdays, book some instruction and improve your driving.

A decent driver with 150bhp will destroy a crap driver with 250bhp.

Your 172 Cup has ample power as it is and handles superbly already, spend your money on something usefull.

Agree with that.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Chris n`nic said:
But not everyone is going to be going to Ring a few times a year m8.....faster can mean different things to different people...I got a 15 sec dead in my std cup on the 1/4 mile....£500 later I got 14.1....surely this would make more than a second difference over a 14 mile track? Obviously the susp makes a difference but driving around duel carriageways etc it isn`t going to make the same difference as on a track

Chris

Take your car to the ring and i think more power is the last thing you want..

A nice handling car is so much enjoyable than a car that is less than a second faster over a qtr mile.... If you into traffic light grand prix then fine its the right thing to do.

A-B your car will be safer and faster with sus and or brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris n`nic said:
But not everyone is going to be going to Ring a few times a year m8.....faster can mean different things to different people...I got a 15 sec dead in my std cup on the 1/4 mile....£500 later I got 14.1....surely this would make more than a second difference over a 14 mile track? Obviously the susp makes a difference but driving around duel carriageways etc it isn`t going to make the same difference as on a track

Chris

what was the 500 quid spent on?

jon_r said:
Personally i'd spend the £300 on two trackdays, book some instruction and improve your driving.

A decent driver with 150bhp will destroy a crap driver with 250bhp.

Your 172 Cup has ample power as it is and handles superbly already, spend your money on something usefull.

Makes sense.

I would, now, if I was in your position.

I'm not interested in going faster or improving lap times or anything to be honest. I just love my car and love driving, when I have a bit of money there is nothing else I need to spend it on so it goes towards the car, anything to improve the experience really.

As much as I love it to pieces on a quiet Sunday morning around the Wiltshire countryside, and happily jump at the chance whenever a airfield day comes along, its still first and foremost my only mode of transport and therefore has to be comfortable and a bit practical.

Perhaps I should have explained a bit more from the off, but 5 bhp gains or whatever means next to nothing to me as the likelyhood of me a) noticing it and b) utilising it, is next to nothing.

Thats why I thought an IK would be good, not noticeable day to day when commuting etc but when I do go for a good run every other day or so on quiet roads I can open it up and enjoy the sound a bit more.

and P.S. and if my driving standards were in any doubt, Clio_Chris mullered me in his 1.6 at the last Airfield meet after handicaps were factored in, maybe some tuition isn't such a bad idea!

Last edited:
  C63 AMG, F430 & 172
EVOgone said:
Again rubbish Got Koni and eibach sportlines and it rides better than the std set-up and takes bumps better and is so much more composed. Ring was used as an example. Your car will be faster safer and more enjoyable if you get the sus and brakes done before bothering with more HP. Exhaust yes but just for the noises as the std one is terrible.

Do as he wants but this is the facts.

If you put APEX on std shock then the ride is terrible i know have tried most of the options.
agree but hes got 300quid, i ik and apex springs fit into both of this. and give noise and a better out on a sunday blast car,

ukaskew,
My experience of mods are, (on a 182)

custom exhaust & panel filter = worth it for the noise although no increase in power - cost approx £350

coilovers = amazing difference the car came to life round the lanes - cost ££££'s would agree with EVOGone though some springs and shocks will give similar handling improvements

engine work = big bhp and torque increase, noticeably alot quicker - cost ££££'s.

Overall the engine work is pretty amazing but you have to spend loads of cash for the performance increase. I think the coilovers have been the best mod I made and IMO IKs, 10bhp increases are not worth the effort.

If it was me I would go springs and dampers or if you like noise a loud exhaust is a good mod.

Tesla MP3 2021
if you cant decide then you could just give the £300 to me........that will be a nice addition to the coilover savings....lol