ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£200 quote for Colour Coding my Clio Mk2 Authentique 2002, reasonable...?

Clio Authentique 1.2
All,
I was considering putting on the Sports body on my Clio Authentique MK2 2002, colour Iceberg, but financial and family (wife!) commitments have rained on my parade, so now I am looking at getting my Clio colour coded (wing mirrors, sectional strip on the front bumper, sectional strip on the rear bumper, spoiler, door handles and the mouldings which run on the sides of the car). I have been quoted £200 for the works, this will include all the prep work, primer and metallic respray in bodyshop oven, and it comes with a paintwork guarantee, oh and also pickup and delivery of the car.

I'm new to all this, so pelase tell me if this price is too high, reasonable, etc...
I can't do it myself, I know a lot of you have done that, but a) I just don't have the space at home to strip it all off, paint, etc, b) I don't trust myself with it, I wouldnt know where to start. c) And I just don't have the time.
So on that basis is that a reasonable quote, please advise.

Oh and is it best to paint the bullet on the mouldings another colour, I was thinking maybe red? Because i intend on getting black alloys with a red trim in the future (or is that just plain tacky!?)

Many thanks in advance.

Stagecoach Ticket
Yes that is a very good price if its from a good body shop including Pick up and drop off and they do a decent job

Red inserts will look s**t mate stick to colour coding

If you did it yourself with rattle cans you would be looking at £40 for paint/£20 for primer and laquer and about £10 for wet n dry paper so your only going to be £130 down on getting it done in a body shop which looking at your post mate will be the best option as you have no experiance of body work.

Hope this helps mate

Clio Authentique 1.2
Thanks for your reply Jimbo. Yeh I thought it was a good price, might as well go for it.

I'm still keen on changing the colour of the diamonds (lol not red though hey!), what can you recommened with Iceberg colour? Or from your expereicne (you seem to know what you are talking about), is it best just to colour code it all?

And I see you are based in South East kent, I'm in the county of Kent too, in South East London, near Woolwich, what about yourelf mate?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
  Stagecoach Ticket
Canterbury mate right down south

Ermm badges can go any colour mate thats an easyer job by rattle can just alot of prep to get a good finish.

Dark greys, Black look good iam not a massive fan or lound paints but thats just me alot of people on here have orange and lime green badges etc

Front one pops off via 3 pins holding it to the Grille

Rear one is abit tricky you have to take the rear panel off then u will c the mech you have to undo 3 bolts to get it out and the diamond is held in by glue/resin so just pick it away and it will pop out theres a guide in the guides section if you get stuck mate.

Colour coding is a tricky one if you go over board it looks tacky but if you get it right looks so much better

Clio Authentique 1.2
Thanks Jimbo. Slowly but surely I will do some more mods to the car in time. Seeing as I wont be applying the clio sports body on my clio, once colour coded, could I make little alterations to the bodywork do you think? I.e. Skirts, etc?

As for the diamond, I think I might spray that black or like you said even dark grey. And to be honest, I too am not that much of a fan of loud colours, just trying for a good subtle look.

Clio Authentique 1.2
Well I had another guy come round last night to look at my Clio and he gave me a quote for around £400-£450 to the above said works. That's a great jump on the £200 quoted to me by my local garage. He mentioned that there is no way in hell that the works could be carried out for £200 without having to compromise on workmanship, that the correct primers, undercoats, etc would not be applied, and at the same time allow the garage to make any profit or even break even. Fair play to him he wasnt pushing me to go with him, hell he even asked me "do you really need to colour code them!?". So now I ask you guys, especially those in the trade, is £200 TOO LOW? Are these guys likely to a shoddy job? To be honest I'm not too keen on spending £400+ on just colour coding, no matter what gold plated garages they have! I might call teh garage up and see what their paint process will be.

Many thanks.