ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£2,000 Budget for improvements / mods... What would you buy??

Transit & Death trap
Hi, I'm after peoples wish lists and recommendations:D. If you had £2,000 - £2,500 to spend on a completely standard 172, what would be on your list to make the 172 an even better fast road car?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Providing the cars all up together (cambelt, tyres, brakes etc etc) then i'd buy a set of eibach springs, a new smaller steering wheel and some decent seats.

If the car isn't uptogether then i'd concentrate on that before spunking my money on mods.

Spending money on remaps/exhausts/filters etc is a bit of a waste of money if you're after performance. Either do it properly (throttle bodies etc) or don't bother. I'm talking from experience! lol.

Last edited:
  Transit & Death trap
For me, brakes, suspension, seats, steering wheel.
What would you do brake wise, discs and pads or bigger brakes(new calipers etc)?

sell it and buy a 182.
I thought about it, but I only picked it up this Saturday and it would be a shame to part ways so soon;), surley sorting my 172 to out pace a 182 would be more fun:rasp:

Exhaust system, remap, coilovers and use the rest to make it a minter (wheel refurb if needed, cup spoiler if needed etc).
I was thinking maybe something along these lines, the suspensions really firm and it handles great already, how harsh are clios with coilovers, recommended brands?

RS6 C7
Ye but come resale time you will loose a f**k load of dollar on the modded parts, where as you wont loose as much on a 182 especially the trophy ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
What would you do brake wise, discs and pads or bigger brakes(new calipers etc)?

I thought about it, but I only picked it up this Saturday and it would be a shame to part ways so soon;), surley sorting my 172 to out pace a 182 would be more fun:rasp:

I was thinking maybe something along these lines, the suspensions really firm and it handles great already, how harsh are clios with coilovers, recommended brands?

H&Rs ride the uk roads well, but you're looking at around the 1k mark.

Get a fast road brake set-up, like DS2500s and Brembo HC discs. Don't bother with 4 pots or anything like that, overkill on a Clio.

Coilovers can make your teeth fallout, depending on the make. If yours is for road, I wouldn't bother with coilovers knowing what I know now.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
pollybush suspension,
pollybush dogbone,
coilovers,
topmounts,
tyres,
decat,
matched inlets,
remap,
steeringwheel,
HC discs and decent pads

would be what i would do

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Get a fast road brake set-up, like DS2500s and Brembo HC discs. Don't bother with 4 pots or anything like that, overkill on a Clio.

Coilovers can make your teeth fallout, depending on the make. If yours is for road, I wouldn't bother with coilovers knowing what I know now.

I disagree, my coilovers transformed the car for fast road driving. Well worth the money.

Transit & Death trap
Yep. Don't spunk £2k on a bloody 172, you'd have to be mental.
Why? Im sure there must loads of 172's on here with a fair old whack spent on them!

Providing the cars all up together (cambelt, tyres, brakes etc etc) then i'd buy a set of eibach springs, a new smaller steering wheel and some decent seats.

If the car isn't uptogether then i'd concentrate on that before spunking my money on mods.

Spending money on remaps/exhausts/filters etc is a bit of a waste of money if you're after performance. Either do it properly (throttle bodies etc) or don't bother. I'm talking from experience! lol.
The cars all good, cam and aux' belts done this time last year, discs look reasonably new and brakes are VERY effective. I take it inlets, remaps and exhausts are no good then?

spend it on learning to drive
Do you mean tuition time on a track?

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Why? Im sure there must loads of 172's on here with a fair old whack spent on them!

Yep. BUT:

1) The owners will never see that cash again, ever.
2) I bet most of them that have had big money spent on them will be for the track.
3) The money spent could have been spent on a much better car (hey, I'm a Clio enthusiast but even I wouldn't spunk £2k on my absolutely MINT 172).

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
some people love their money too much.

dont let people tell you how to spend yours!!

sure most of the 172's with money spent on them will be for track, but that doesnt make them any more likely to get the money back!! if it's your hobby and its something you enjoy, spend as much money as you like on it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Matched inlets, Ph1 airbox + ITG filter, yozza + decat, coilovers, better brakes + lines, a second set of wheels + tyres (for track), a 'safety helmet' then spend the rest on track days and fuel, and/or a blat around Europe.

But, in reality, if I had a standard 172 (which I did), I'd not bother spending anything on it that I couldn't see back with more than a set of spanners and a screwdriver, flog the lot, and buy a better car.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
The other way I look at it is this, I want mine to stay mint and stock so that when I sell it on someone else gets a nice unmolested example. Look at how many older Ford Fiestas and Mk2 Golf GTi's are buggered because people couldn't leave alone.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
on the other hand, i bought my mk1 for about £1000,
and ive spent most of my weekends building it up, and god knows how much money.

its by my hobby and i have no regrets on the money that "ill never see again" because ive got so much enjoyment out of driving it, the money ive spent is more than worth it!!

at the end of the day, youll never get any of the money you spend on: concert/festival tickets, nights out, holidays, women, etc, but if its something you enjoy doing, you shouldn't look at it from the money point of view.

thats just my opinion, and im usually pretty skint because of it ;)

Here's my 2c:

I've spend A LOT on my Clio, I bought it for £6k, and I've spent probably about that again on it. First it's my money, so I'll do with it what I will, secondly.... people will say what a waste of money...look at what you could buy for £12k!!

But....if I had that £12k car, it would cost me s**t loads more to run, insure etc and all the added costs of bigger tyres and brakes on track (which it what my car effectively is for now)

My little Clio still costs the same to run, which is peanuts relatively speaking. AND....it's not massively slower than a lot of the suggestions people will throw out there, something I realised the day I did my first non RenaultSport trackday.

Lastly...it's my project...I know I could only sell it for bugger all, even with all the mods....but I don't care as I'll never sell it.

So don't listen to all the 'don't spend £2k on a Clio' nonsense. That's their opinion, and they are in a different situation to you, as is everyone.

It's your money remember, just be careful with it. I very nearly spent almost £5k on a supercharger conversion, I'm so glad I didn't. But I though about it VERY carefully.

EDIT:

And probably most important, I love driving my car. It puts a smile on my face even if I pop down the road in it.
If I was in some standard boring E46 M3, I don't think I would enjoy on anywhere near the same level.

Transit & Death trap
Yep. BUT:

1) The owners will never see that cash again, ever.
2) I bet most of them that have had big money spent on them will be for the track.
3) The money spent could have been spent on a much better car (hey, I'm a Clio enthusiast but even I wouldn't spunk £2k on my absolutely MINT 172).

Fair comment and I see your point mate, but I'm not too worried about seeing the money again, I spent far more on my Astra MK3 and only saw about 60% back when I broke it for parts. Its more about enjoying the car.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Oh, I'd love to buy an old wreck and set her right. I'd love a really early 1.6 205 GTI. But I don't have the time and money right now. And I completely agree, but the only reason I'd have to buy an old wreck like that and do it up is because so many have been f**ked around with. If they'd been looked after I could just got and buy one that hasn't been restored and enjoy it. I'd love fixing one up, but it just isn't practical with my job and where I live right now.

Transit & Death trap
I disagree, my coilovers transformed the car for fast road driving. Well worth the money.
Just wondered what coilovers you're running?

But, in reality, if I had a standard 172 (which I did), I'd not bother spending anything on it that I couldn't see back with more than a set of spanners and a screwdriver, flog the lot, and buy a better car.
I see why people are saying this, but I'm interested to see what these ''better cars'' are? And I'm being genuine, not sarcastic! I sat down and trawled the autotrader trying to decide what car I'd get and the clio 172 seemed a great option.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Just wondered what coilovers you're running?

I see why people are saying this, but I'm interested to see what these ''better cars'' are? And I'm being genuine, not sarcastic! I sat down and trawled the autotrader trying to decide what car I'd get and the clio 172 seemed a great option.

Depends upon your whole budget for a car, really.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Depends upon your whole budget for a car, really.

well assuming you can get 2k for a 172, and hes talking about spending 2k, id say a budget of £4,000

of course you could have a better car for the money you spend on a clio, but all id want to do if i bought a better car, would be spend money on it!!
and its not about having a better car,

its about that X-factor, the fun factor of driving for me. ive driven a lot of better cars, but driving (for example) a 330 bmw, thought it is quicker in a straight line, i find very boring.
i like the fun of throwing little cars into the corners more than having a "better" car.

172 Cup
Some good tyres, uprated brakes, replace a few bushes/mounts, some eibach sportlines & some koni shocks, nice steering wheel, good service, spend the rest on a few track days and enjoy it ;)

phase1 172
Here's my 2c:

I've spend A LOT on my Clio, I bought it for £6k, and I've spent probably about that again on it. First it's my money, so I'll do with it what I will, secondly.... people will say what a waste of money...look at what you could buy for £12k!!

But....if I had that £12k car, it would cost me s**t loads more to run, insure etc and all the added costs of bigger tyres and brakes on track (which it what my car effectively is for now)

My little Clio still costs the same to run, which is peanuts relatively speaking. AND....it's not massively slower than a lot of the suggestions people will throw out there, something I realised the day I did my first non RenaultSport trackday.

Lastly...it's my project...I know I could only sell it for bugger all, even with all the mods....but I don't care as I'll never sell it.

So don't listen to all the 'don't spend £2k on a Clio' nonsense. That's their opinion, and they are in a different situation to you, as is everyone.

It's your money remember, just be careful with it. I very nearly spent almost £5k on a supercharger conversion, I'm so glad I didn't. But I though about it VERY carefully.

EDIT:

And probably most important, I love driving my car. It puts a smile on my face even if I pop down the road in it.
If I was in some standard boring E46 M3, I don't think I would enjoy on anywhere near the same level.

Well said.
Ive owned 6 subarus in the past and have spent so much money on them its stupid. But now after buying the 172 and deciding to modify it on a budget im loving it and having a whole shitload of fun !
Your always going to get a difference of opinion on what to splash your cash on but its your decision, and you should spend it how you like.

Only advice i would give is get the best tyres, best brake pads, get the geometry set up and book some track time with an instructor.

260% JCW
sell it and buy a 182.

Why?.... because the 182 is better?....has more power?.....

And like you'd get a Trophy in px for a 172 + £2.5k......

As Daniel said, cover the basics 1st....then go for some simple mods.

The standard shock's will no doubt be past they're best so some Koni's shocks and Eibach springs. Next a panel filter and an exhaust with a decat to free things up a little, last and one of the best IMO a re-map (RStuner).

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's alot of money to sink into an old car which you'll never see back - although you don't expect to make a gain. If you have £2k upfront why not consider buying a newer car with it? If you really do need to spend it on this car, I'd suggest driving it in the circumstances the mods will be designed to operate in first - i.e. track it first if you want the mods to work well there.

If I was in your position I'd be getting the following:

Cup Turinis - £400
Cup Spoiler - £200 (With respray)
CF Splitter - £100
Springs - £100
2nd hand exhaust - £250
decat - £50
Brembo discs, DS2000 pads, braided lines - Not sure, can't remember £250
Matched inlets - £250
If you're feeling adventurous when getting the exhaust, get a 182 manifold and cat (Sports cat - 100 cell) get it fitted at the same time and cut [Manifold £180, Fitting £120] - £300
Remap - where ever you feel best -£200

That's your £2k and should get a car which looks alot better, will be a fair bit quicker but you're ignoring the seats and steering wheel. I'd be happy with the eibach after market spring kit with the standard system as I don't think you getting a budget set of coilovers will be any good.

With any of the parts replaced you maybe able to sell them on and get a new steering wheel if you want. Personally, I like the idea of an air bag, if I were to replace the wheel I'd have to get some harnesses to.