ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4 Detail Write-up 8/2/13

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'm guessing most of you have seen pictures of the finished article but I thought i'd do a small write up as I spent well over 10 hours on it.

Outside the house in the moring pretty hanging after a couple of months of grime complete with its track wheels.

IMG_4542_zps1450d81b.jpg

Roberto had purchased some new 108s earlier in the week so we fitted them (already cleany clean just needed sealing) So pictures now of pre-clean filth but with the new wheels making it already look a whole load fresher.

IMG_4548_zps1b88e454.jpg

IMG_4550_zps20882660.jpg

IMG_4551_zps411703db.jpg

IMG_4552_zpsd187a7b6.jpg

IMG_4554_zps46942829.jpg

IMG_4556_zps58f75e7b.jpg

Note how minging and dull the exhaust was looking too...

IMG_4557_zpsa22a0e35.jpg

Roof also minging!

IMG_4558_zps10d7152e.jpg

IMG_4569_zps82db7736.jpg

IMG_4559_zps618a4b88.jpg

IMG_4560_zpsa30ddae2.jpg

IMG_4565_zps1d9f3d89.jpg

IMG_4570_zpse506da77.jpg

IMG_4572_zpsdb4df6e9.jpg

IMG_4575_zps2383d465.jpg

Also dirty rusty calipers which really wasn't making the car look its best...They got wire brushed and painted nicely in black.

IMG_4566_zpsc766433e.jpg

It had a nasty graze I wanted to touch in as it was really letting the front end down, it won't be perfect but a new bumper is due to be put on to make it perfect. Also the headlight seal was absolutely shot so that was removed and replaced..

IMG_4576_zpsfe63b0b7.jpg

IMG_4580_zps5095df28.jpg

With the car being so minging it was citrus'd, pressure washered and snow foamed including all the shuts and under arches etc using various brushes...

IMG_4590_zps2d8e7db5.jpg

IMG_4596_zpsfd448117.jpg

IMG_4597_zps644e4101.jpg

IMG_4614_zps46ae0c84.jpg

IMG_4621_zpsc134a960.jpg

IMG_4629_zps00a3bf17.jpg

IMG_4631_zpseb08acb8.jpg

IMG_4633_zpsb6b577cd.jpg

IMG_4640_zpsef407e10.jpg

IMG_4643_zpse7f04c1a.jpg

It was then decontaminated with usual, IronX, Tardis and Bilthammer clay lubed with a bit of demon shine. Last time I washed the car I decomtamineted and clayed it so not really much to see with only the sills having anything stubborn on them..

IMG_4656_zps94fce263.jpg

IMG_4657_zps3422b24c.jpg

IMG_4660_zpsba35f285.jpg

The roof was then attacked with some AutoGlym gear he had got that had some decent reviews. I was surprised at the results. Really easy to use and the filth it was drawing from the roof was unreal.

IMG_4667_zps9ac32778.jpg

IMG_4672_zpsbc843c7c.jpg

The car was rinsed and washed again then dab and compressed air dried then taken inside for some paint readings. Alot of random readings so it was all documented and double checked throughout correction...

IMG_4677_zpsddfa5174.jpg

IMG_4681_zps73d015f6.jpg

Factory paint was silly hard so it took a while before I got a pad combo I was happy with. There wasn't much swirling and certainly not anything we could pick up on the camera. There were a few RDS points I wanted to sort and corrected 98% of that. The freshly paint panels were lovely to work with.

IMG_4693_zps88faed9c.jpg

IMG_4698_zps259d5c43.jpg

Once corrected it was washed again, under bonnet degreased and detailed. It was then vacumed out and quick detailed inside with megs. Then the car was cleansed, glazed and waxed. Satsuma rock was chosen. I enjoyed using it alot more the second time round.

Anyway finished pictures, if you look closely you'll see the freshly painted calipers and bumper fix too.

Finished7_zps72e620d4.jpg

Finished6_zpsfe7034e6.jpg

Finished5_zps053c3982.jpg

The underside of the bonnet topok some serious time and effort to get this clean!

finished3_zps15dc6fdc.jpg

finished4_zps41c449d6.jpg

finished1_zps48284776.jpg

I tried to keep it less text and more pictures so hope it wasn't too hard to get through.

Ant

Last edited by a moderator:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Superb work Ant, skills.

Timeless shape that brief.

Rob's a f**king bender though, who must be due back in a Phase 1 just shortly?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Wow! Nice write up dude! :eek:

It's still beading awesomely even after much snow and s**t weather driving into London, well impressed!

I'll work on my photo skills for the next one.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely work mate! That Spin Doctor is a bloody hard machine though! You need a new one! ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Thanks all :eek:

I'm loving the spin doctor, it's had a lot of use over the last few months. It'll only be going once its broke lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
<3 the silly hat.

I need to book mine in, I haven't cleaned it since you last saw it :eek:

330i. E30 Touring.
Nice work!

I need to put some effort in on my old girl to see how nice I can have it looking tbh..

I don't have the gear, or much of an idea though.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Looks great! Nice work.

I wonder what the section of the front bumper with the graze on would look like wrapped gloss black?

Exactly what I said, in my mind it looks excellent. We have the wrap so it will be trialed.

182 ff
i had a 06 z4 before the nite mare a clio 182 if it had 4 seats wud of kept it,mine was grey it looked great really dirty or really clean,i bought a soft top cover for mine from bmw it kept the rain and sun of it,and get water proof spray for it.nice car i miss it cosy in side.worse thing was tyres was £250 each u cant repair them if u get a a flat.add like to get am z3 m ,if i had money get an z8

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
i had a 06 z4 before the nite mare a clio 182 if it had 4 seats wud of kept it,mine was grey it looked great really dirty or really clean,i bought a soft top cover for mine from bmw it kept the rain and sun of it,and get water proof spray for it.nice car i miss it cosy in side.worse thing was tyres was £250 each u cant repair them if u get a a flat.add like to get am z3 m ,if i had money get an z8

I can't help but feel you were an extremely mis-informed owner then mate.

You don't put waterproof spray on the roof as it's not supposed to be waterproof, it's a tri layer roof, the middle layer is water tight, the top layer is absorbent.

Tyres are approx £125 a corner for something half decent, and can be repaired as no one uses runflats due to the poor ride and tram lining, you're better off with a can of tire foam for emergencies.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Looks great. The non-M Z4's still look a bit normal for me though. Maybe some small spacers or something?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ahh, awesome! That'll be perfect.

Facelift front and rear lights? Are they an easy swap?

Link to project thread? Had a look and couldn't find it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Looks good, always satisfying working on a grubby soft top and seeing the dirt lift off.

If I may add though.... get a belt!! Trousers falling down whilst working over the engine's not a pretty thing :rasp:

I can't help but feel you were an extremely mis-informed owner then mate.

You don't put waterproof spray on the roof as it's not supposed to be waterproof, it's a tri layer roof, the middle layer is water tight, the top layer is absorbent.

Tyres are approx £125 a corner for something half decent, and can be repaired as no one uses runflats due to the poor ride and tram lining, you're better off with a can of tire foam for emergencies.

You understood that enough to write a reply? Damn you're good.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just putting it out there, I actually like my car more than I ever have before. Walk towards it and think "that looks good".

Looks good, always satisfying working on a grubby soft top and seeing the dirt lift off.

If I may add though.... get a belt!! Trousers falling down whilst working over the engine's not a pretty thing :rasp:

I'll put censored on the pics next time, the roof has got the be one of the best bits, just looks so new in comparison!

You understood that enough to write a reply? Damn you're good.

I iz gangster innit.

182 ff
i has run flat tyres they was great,they was designed for the car,had the sports suspension pack,i test drove one without it,felt like a pram , i got mine from new, had to wait months for mine as they are made in the usa then they are shipped to germany for inpection then shipped over here.,i am quite well informed about bmws my uni mate worked for them,as part of the engineering design team.was a great little car,i would of designed the gear box better myself made it smoother,but that my personal choice.