ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WWDC 2011 & iOS5

Re: WWDC 2011

Watched it all from start to end. Apple are on fire.

My only concern is that as this becomes big, which it will, how secure is all this data going to be? It's all well and good dancing around sucking off Steve, but what are the implications of a server farm being hacked? As computing and data heads down this road and the general population become increasingly reliant on personal data floating around, the PSN debacle has the potential to look like a walk in the park (Kazanski). No? Am I wrong?

Obviously someone will now point out the security methods involved, and the encryption etc, and say it can't happen, but that's probably what PSN said before it got torn a new one.

AK

M240i
bcdd18c6-ebae-ce36.jpg

Internet speak is dead.

Lol @ dk

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

My only concern is that as this becomes big, which it will, how secure is all this data going to be? It's all well and good dancing around sucking off Steve, but what are the implications of a server farm being hacked? As computing and data heads down this road and the general population become increasingly reliant on personal data floating around, the PSN debacle has the potential to look like a walk in the park (Kazanski). No? Am I wrong?

Obviously someone will now point out the security methods involved, and the encryption etc, and say it can't happen, but that's probably what PSN said before it got torn a new one.

Hackers use macbook pro's We are safe.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Just to add to that, it was a thougth of mine but to be fair a lot of stuff is stored online these days.

Using Die Hard 4 as an example everything is controlled via the net these days. Things like pictures ect... are the only real thing stored on hardware.

Maybe why technological warfare/cyber terrorism is feared by governments just as much as physical warfare. Anyway i'm blabbering but the cloud as people have mentioned before will store everything eventually. How safe can something be when it's online.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

iCloud is just multiuser storage. it has no intelligence.

Bus w**ker
Data encryption and security seems to be the biggest unanswered question regarding iCloud at the minute (just for Tom). I'd hope that there is a shared private key between users iDevices and iCloud at the very least.

I'm sure all will become clear before the beta ends though.

Oh and iOS5 beta has been jailbroken already lol.

Musclenerd said:
iOS5 jailbroken on ipt4g: http://is.gd/7GxIcK http://is.gd/BwPvfh via limera1n + tethered boot..not too many surprises :)

Last edited:

My info that will be in the iCloud isn't going to be that important in the grand scheme of things. My emails/app info/to-do lists/songs. Not the end of the world if someone got it.

Someone hacking iTunes is more of a worry, with my card/bank details etc all attached.

My info that will be in the iCloud isn't going to be that important in the grand scheme of things. My emails/app info/to-do lists/songs. Not the end of the world if someone got it.

Someone hacking iTunes is more of a worry, with my card/bank details etc all attached.

I see your point but I'm not so sure. Your login, your billing details. Personal documents. Business documents. Identifying photos. Basically everything. Potentially very damaging. I'm not scaremongering, I just think it's something to serially think about. I'm sure Apple are doing just that though, and they're hardly stoopid so it should be ok, until it becomes self aware and hacks itself. Stealing Steve's identity and giving it to Tom to muck about with on Facebook.

1.8 Civic EX

think of all "home movies" and pics of blokes birds that will be stored on there lol :approve:

Inferno 182 CUP

how good/bad is the IOS5 beta .. i registered my UDID and i have the download but not sure whether to bang it on and test or not?!?

also im assuming once the GM is released i can sync my iphone and download with that straight away?

Evo 5 RS

I've got to hold my hands up, the new Cloud system along with the staggering amount they've invested in it seems to be a truly awesome idea. Might just sway me to further my Apple collection on from purely the iPhone

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

I don't think I fully understand the concerns about 'cloud' computing. Yes I understand that all your data is there for someone to possibly hack, but there is already a lot of data about me on many companies servers around the world anyway. What's the difference? Is it that fact it's in one place and not spread over many places?

LY 182

Does this mean you can say use an iMac, then if you wanna pop downstairs or on a business trip or whatever, you can have access to all applications, docs etc on a Macbook?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes assuming you set it to save everything online.

LY 182

Awesome.

Will have to take a proper look at the keynote coverage etc later.

Now I just need to get moar monies to buy said iMac. :cool:

I don't think I fully understand the concerns about 'cloud' computing. Yes I understand that all your data is there for someone to possibly hack, but there is already a lot of data about me on many companies servers around the world anyway. What's the difference? Is it that fact it's in one place and not spread over many places?

I just think it's starting to blur the lines. Right now, if you want to read any of my documents, a scan of my passport or gas bill, you need to gain control of my computer. To a large extent that is under my control. Once you throw it out into the 'cloud' that control has gone. It's 'out there'. I understand that most people won't care, but I'm just saying they should care. The potential implications are very costly. Imagine a time in the not so distant future where your whole life is out essentially in the public domain. The digital world is taking off in a big f**king way, and I for one am cautious about where it will eventually lead.

Personally I'd expect any sensible person to be able to think about the possible consequences. I don't buy the "it's bad enough already" attitude as an excuse to make it worse. Having said that, it's undeniably excellent, and I'm sure I'll be using it, as we all eventually will. One day, the digital world will turn back and bite the hand that fed it. Mark my words. I'm serial.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Poor soul. Died for the cause iirc.

A silver one

Once you install iOS 5 you will never need a mac again. However the device would be blank if you used another machine to install it.

I understand that you can wirelessly (sp) update your iOS devices, sync your purchases, music, apps, etc. via iCloud, but could you seriously operate without a Mac or PC?

What if you have Terabytes of photos, music, HD films etc? Surely you can't store everything on iCloud (or am I missing the point)?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I'm really not sure. In theory you could, but the interface isnt there yet to check

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Is the Keynote available for download yet? It's not on ITunes yet.

Im going away with work tomorrow and would like to watch it whilst flying!