ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 8 launch

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Live feed for what? its been out in various forms for ages.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I can't believe people actually watch this, I lasted 5 seconds.

dk

911 GTS Cab
We had Microsoft in the office today, had the laptops and tablets running 8, they were trying to get a surface but in the end one didn't surface...

i can't complain though, for looking at the laptops I got a raffle ticket. (This was after me telling them I didn't like windows 8, and hated metro....) the raffle was supposed to be for sales people selling ms etc but I only went and won the first price of £500, nice!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I just watched it.

I love it.

Ive had Win8 on my laptop for a month or so now and i have a WP7.

With everything integrated, it really is good. I like it. :)

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I'm running it on my recent build, got the upgrade for £14.99 which is a bargain.

I like it to be honest, feels quicker and the start menu is a flawed UI concept anyway in my opinion, metro works well when customised.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It'll still crash and play up after while like previous windows platforms, all show and no go.

Maybe. But with the trillions of combinations of hardware that it has to support, it does a pretty good job. Windows 7, in my opinion, is pretty damned good. The range of hardware at work that we re-image it onto is very impressive.

D.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
hav ehad 2 of my clients upgrade from 7 to 8, both are now tryign to get back to 7 lol. If you have programs that use older technologies (like borland BDE), I would suggest staying with 7 for a while until fixes are found for such things. Also if you like the start menu (Im not osld on metro myself, seems a very slow way to launch a legacy program (in a productive enviroment).

ST
Yeah, that's why so many companies use it in the enterprise.

Is that, the enterprise or thee enterprise.. Or is it because other OS' don't accommodate certain business needs, if you're a windows bummer fair enough, though I move between mac and windows 7 and will now become 8, not thru choice but its what we have in the office but let's be fair, windows is a nice idea but lacks robustness and reliability in my opinion.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Yeah, that's why so many companies use it in the enterprise.

+1 you on this spoonie, windows 7 does the job just fine in all the businesses that I support (lets give 8 a few more months). Server editions are very powerful and AD is amazing.

Evo 5 RS
Maybe. But with the trillions of combinations of hardware that it has to support, it does a pretty good job. Windows 7, in my opinion, is pretty damned good. The range of hardware at work that we re-image it onto is very impressive.

D.

Seeing as I know you're a gamer - looking at some of the performance results it's not half bad. I'll give it a couple months, though.

Very good if you're to believe Tomshardware. Which I don't, at all.

Quote here from Tech-power up. It comes as no surprise though so I'm not slating it - just informative.
After testing both AMD's Radeon HD 7970 and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 680 on Windows 8 using 19 benchmarks, we can confirm that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 offer the same gaming performance. Some games at low, CPU-limited resolutions show Windows 8 lagging slightly behind Windows 7, which is a sign that there is some mechanism at work here that increases CPU time or otherwise limits the system from sending information to the graphics cards fast enough to achieve higher framerates. This difference is very small though and barely noticeable, especially at higher resolutions like full HD or 2560x1600. The same performance is, at higher resolutions, pretty much the same as in Windows 7. The difference we noticed would be smaller, or go away, with a weaker graphics card at lower resolution as the slower GPU will limit framerates in such a scenario.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm downloading it now to have another look at it on a VM but I'm not sure I want to rebuild my main PC with it yet.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I like it actually, it seems you can pretty much set it up as Windows 7, but you get the benefit of the apps and it has better multi-display support (FINALLY!)

Having some domain issues though.

Fiesta ST
I like it actually, it seems you can pretty much set it up as Windows 7, but you get the benefit of the apps and it has better multi-display support (FINALLY!)

Having some domain issues though.

What domain issues you having? I got a load of win8 boxes on different domains with no issues so far.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I think it works faster than 7.

You can set it up to boot on the normal desktop instead on the metro desktop.

I love the way you can use all the apps now on the desktop.

I haven't found a fault with it yet so I'm happy.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not 100% sure on the way it looks yet - but I guess that will change as I use it more. No gaming issues to report as of yet, either. :) The only work-related issue we have had is that the existing Cisco VPN client we use, flatly refuses to run with it.

As we're a Windows 7 Pro house with little work incentive to go to 8, I guess that really doesn't bother us though.

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
What domain issues you having? I got a load of win8 boxes on different domains with no issues so far.

It wouldn't see the domain even though it was all configured correctly to see it, it seems to be fine now however (thanks)

I have to say I'm very impressed with it, definitely quicker than 7.

Last edited:
  133/225/CLS AMG
Had a play about with Windows 8 at work, seems alright really. Not great for a corporate environment but I assume you'll be able to change that so it's more back to basics.

Otherwise though it's alright, bit fluffy looking but got some good ideas. Can't help thinking it'll be far better on a tablet than a desktop machine though.

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
If I purchase the Windows 8 upgrade can I do clean installs or do you need to install windows 7 first, then upgrade?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as I know you're a gamer - looking at some of the performance results it's not half bad. I'll give it a couple months, though.

Very good if you're to believe Tomshardware. Which I don't, at all.

Hmmmm - Windows 8 fixed my weird vsync issue that I had on XCOM too. Strange how the latest nVidia driver I have installed is the same one for both Win7 and Win8. :)

D.