ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do you modify?

Clio Mk1 Ph1
Was discussing in the pub earlier why my friends and I insist on changing the car from stock the moment we get the keys,

Was wondering if anyone's the same and why they do it?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Because I get bored. I have too much money, I get random ideas in my head and a bit of peer pressure from some mates in work.

Lots of contributing factors mainly but basically because I enjoy doing it :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
surely if you had too much money jaff you would just buy a better car ???

Then I'd be bored and I'd have all these ideas in my head that I can't do nothing about ;)

Ive not always had too much money tho. At the moment I'm finishing what I started but I still have the big to modify my other car too but I'm holding back on that front

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Because if something's broken, I have to upgrade it, and I always buy cars with issues.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
ITs my hobby.

Some people play golf, some people play computer games. I love tinkering with cars.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I modified my 172 Cup to make it faster around a track. Then I realised doing that was a complete waste of time. Car became less fun to own.

I've learned my lesson, the 200's staying 100% standard.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Partly to improve areas that i feel need attention, partly to stop me getting bored. Trophy is the only car that gets tinkered with though, im too old/sensible to mess with my main car.

53 Clio's & counting
ITs my hobby.

Some people play golf, some people play computer games. I love tinkering with cars.

This.

Iv never tried cigarettes or drugs, the last time I had a drink was in 2009.

My grandad was a mechanic and my dad won his first rally 2 weeks after his 17th birthday so it's in my blood.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like the sense of achievement of improving a cars performance, and I enjoy doing a lot of trackdays, so its the ideal hobby for me to combine them.

Personal satisfaction mainly, making it more personal to you. I enjoy tidying up a car servicing it and changing a few bits and bobs here and there. I've always wanted to have an old car to restore/mod but haven't got the space :(

There's a video on youtube which explains it pretty well.

Can't find it for the life of me, anyone idea of the one I mean?

All I remember is it has project in the title,starts with a garage opening up, and a civic (I think appearing), with an Asian-American guy narrating/featuring. It's a couple of years old.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
There's a video on youtube which explains it pretty well.

Can't find it for the life of me, anyone idea of the one I mean?

All I remember is it has project in the title,starts with a garage opening up, and a civic (I think appearing), with an Asian-American guy narrating/featuring. It's a couple of years old.

Eric Bana - Love the beast

Last edited by a moderator:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
In terms of being proud of creating something, its kinda explained without words In this.

..I think so anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Because if something's broken, I have to upgrade it, and I always buy cars with issues.

It's an addiction. Once you start you never stop.

Personal satisfaction mainly, making it more personal to you. I enjoy tidying up a car servicing it and changing a few bits and bobs here and there. I've always wanted to have an old car to restore/mod but haven't got the space :(

These three are bang on for me! I just love to make mine look different to others, and have a few unique things... I like having a cheaper car (imo) because I don't mind messing with it and having a go myself. I've owned a couple of expensive cars for me (£6-7k) and I never wanted to change anything because it would ruin the re-sale value, no fun!

Clio Cup Ph2 172 16v
Cars are manufactured to provide for as wide range of customers as possible, ultimately to sell as many units as possible. So when you buy one you need modify it to suit you/your needs. In some cases modifications are very small but they exist. Some people say "My car isn't modified", it is, they just don't realise it or class something as a "modification". As an engineer, thats what I would say.

As a car enthusiast, its because it's enjoyable :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
i like having my own touch on them... the RedRep was OEM++ lol, made to look a bit nicer with renault parts. although i saw the error of my ways and realised it was slightly wasted money.

the r27 is staying OEM+ though. cup spoiler, RS skirts, LY dash strips, and an ipod connection dock somewhere *havent decided where yet*

i see it as, if i leave it standard, what makes it any different to any other r27?
i also get bored of them :p

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i hosed a fortune on my ph2 172 years ago, ended up with 190bhp 159lb/ft and it was quick but to be honest i probably enjoyed it more when it was standard bar the eibachs! - 200 will be staying standard!

To learn things, make the car how you'd like it to look and to be proud of i guess. I mean a cheesey yet very true quote that probably sums most of us up: The love between a man and his car can only be understood by those who have felt it!

Ged

PD130 Peach
as i cant afford insurance for the car i want (197) so i buy as close as possible and make it not a shopping car with simple mods. just so i can walk out the house and bare looking at it.

To make it my own so its different from the rest.

+1 for me. Since I have been driving I like to make a car mine by adding my own touch no matter how subtle. Being a serial modder for 37 years now I have tried most modding/customising trends and the worst time of my life was when I had a company car that I could not touch. There's just some perverse pleasure in taking a standard car and altering it to your own ideas and needs.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Its a good way to learn things, i never thought id be able to change an interior but i managed. You get a good sense of achievement.