ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bearing a week...

...well that's what it feels like at the mo! Bought some cheap rear discs with bearings already pressed in. Bad idea, the bearing lasted two hours on track. Who ever coined the phrase 'buy cheap, buy twice' was spot on.

So after reading a few threads on here I took myself to Renault to buy a standard set of rear dsics with bearings. They lasted a bit longer but not much! I have done c.6 hours on track and again the N/S rear bearing is rumbling like hell.

So:
1. Is this normal?
2. If not, what could be causing it?
3. Can you buy uprated bearings?

Thanks very much,

Matt

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Iirc this can happen if they are torqued up incorrectly, eg to tight. Don't quote me on that though :)

A friend of mine fitted them and I know he looked up the torque settings so they will be correct.

What is this washer you speak of?! Didn't notice anything in the box for the discs...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you need to have either

-canter caps on your wheels to keep water and crud out
-dust caps over the bearings

it's also worth checking that the nuts used are of the correct type. you need either a flange nut (built in washer) or a separate nut and washer. A lot of bearing kits turn up with a new nut, and no washer

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
172/182's don't have dust caps

it'll be spacer related IMO

I know, hence canter caps need to be fitted (as they are standard).
Remove the center caps, and you need to add dust caps. They're the exact same bearing as a mk1, same rules of durability apply

Seat Ibiza
Could an amount of dust/crap be able to get into there in such a small amount of time?

And even if it did would it be able to get in behind the seals?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
seals do **** all really. They've usually thrown some grease out in a few weeks.

I'd look at the nut and the spacer first though, and check the torque wrench is good quality, but bear the other bits in mind

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Had this problem on a megane, had 3 bearings in the end it turned out the stub axle was slightly bent.

Renault state that the rs rear disc nut is 280nm, it was 175nm a while ago.

Had this problem on a megane, had 3 bearings in the end it turned out the stub axle was slightly bent.

Renault state that the rs rear disc nut is 280nm, it was 175nm a while ago.

^^i hope it is 175nm thats the setting i have just done mine at??

275 Trophy
172/182's don't have dust caps

it'll be spacer related IMO

Local garage told me I needed rear wheel bearing nut covers fiting @ £7.16 each. Is this likely to mean the none existant seal, or the washer, or even the spacer?

I'm not overly happy with the discs they fitted, but how could I check that the spacer is in place without taking the discs off?

SQ5
You can't, disc has to come off. I imagine they mean the cap that goes on the middle. It's not needed, your wheel covers it

Megane 225 F1
I was lucky.

Bought mine from a mate at Renault on trade. We fitted them. One of them went a few weeks later. Took into Renault for and inspection and they replaced it under warranty. Fitting and all. <3 Ali.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I was lucky.

Bought mine from a mate at Renault on trade. We fitted them. One of them went a few weeks later. Took into Renault for and inspection and they replaced it under warranty. Fitting and all. <3 Ali.

Will have a look at that print off i gave you, look at the rear brakes bit and see what the torque setting is for the nut.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Maybe, the bearing burst its seal, grease was everywhere iirc. Got Renault uk down next week so i will ask the question about the setting. Bearing still ok now though?

Lionel Richie
Ali can you let me know the offical torque setting for plugs on the RS cars as Renault birmingham said i was wrong!

NGK state 29nm, renault say 23nm

Megane 225 F1
Maybe, the bearing burst its seal, grease was everywhere iirc. Got Renault uk down next week so i will ask the question about the setting. Bearing still ok now though?

Yup it's been all good ever since. Had a scary moment when I heard some savage sound coming from the the outside of my car doing a ton. Turns out my arch liner was loose scraping on the floor/wheel.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Ali can you let me know the offical torque setting for plugs on the RS cars as Renault birmingham said i was wrong!

NGK state 29nm, renault say 23nm

Will check tomorrow, I use the pre set torque wrenches for plugs, 3 differnt types, proper Renault tool. Saying that, Will. look at your print off for spark plug torque setting, 29nm seems high.

Megane 225 F1
IMAG0095.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Could anybody post up an exploded diagram of all the relevant bits? Pretty sure I will have binned the washer...

Thanks, Matt