ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats happened to car insurance ?

Skoda Fabia vRS
You work in a garage don't you? I know techs who run old diesel 106' or fiestas which they never do any work on and use barely any fuel. Sounds like you're just making lame excuses to cling on to the fabia. If I had to choose between property or an ever depreciating lump of metal I'd go with a pile of bricks all day long. Guess it's all about priorities.

when i have the cash for a deposit you might be right, but at the moment it doesnt make sense

What's the fabia worth? That would no doubt be a decent sized chunk towards a deposit if you replaced it with a snotter. Assuming it's all bought and paid for and you don't have a loan on it.

Silver 182
My 182 insurance is 770 and on my dads policy for exige is around 730(would have been 540 something just on his own)

On mums merc c180 on her policy insurance would have been around 500 (340 for her right now, cos she doesn't let me drive it :D) Those are business and pleasure policies all around with 9-10k miles.

So no idea where you guys get those crazy prices from!

22, 4 years no claims.

oh and edit: my renewal on a 1.4 clio before i scrapped it was 381!

And someone mentioned that to have windscreen changed it was logged as incident? I thought normal policies state that changing windscreen doesnt affect your future premium and/or no claims discount?
P.s i also got now 3 points.. so wonder how much it will jump next summer!

Last edited:
  Skoda Fabia vRS
right well ive now had my renewal from Flux who im with at the moment

£816 if i pay it outright, £965 if i pay 10 monthly installments, or £915 if i pay a £300 deposit and the rest over 9 equal monthly payments

ive checked and last year i paid £800, including the interest for monthly payments

so my insurance has gone up by at least £100, i think this year ill pay it outright

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I've just purhcased mine for £587 in the end through Elephant. Not bad considering my renewal price was over double that from Directline!!

What is strange though is that if I said that my car was parked in the street rather than the garage then it brings the price down by £85 - insurance just doesn't make sense at all tbh!

in insurance eyes, you are more likely to damage it by parking in the garage than leaving it on the street/driveway (although this may also depend on your post code)

dk

911 GTS Cab
in insurance eyes, you are more likely to damage it by parking in the garage than leaving it on the street/driveway (although this may also depend on your post code)

Flol, that's something I have NEVER heard before

Surely, in a garage, the car is out of view, therefore less likely to be nicked, so should be cheaper, lol @ causing more claims people damaging getting it in and out, really, no, really? ;)

I've never head that either!

Like Dave generally I'd expect that a car garaged will always bring the quote down being as it's out of sight of thieves, harder to nick if they know it's there and out of harms way from drunks or vandals vs being parked on the road where it's open to any kind of attack.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Cheepest quote i could get anywhere was £878, 25 with 4Years NCB, would have sold the car if i had to pay that.

then Greenlight quoted £427, how can they be so much cheaper???

Its true about the garage thing, maybe not the reason given, but its true. Every time I have had qte's for car insurance, to change it from being parked on the street to being garaged, it always puts the premium up.

God knows why, but its a fact.

Skoda Fabia vRS
sadly Greenlight dont insure Fabia/Octavias

how fucked up is that, the VAST majority of them are owned by old people, or in the case of the Octavia, taxi drivers who im sure have special policies anyway as its for business use with huge mileages being done

320d
I was hoping to insure another 1*2 for <£1000 fully comp when I'm 21 in 8 months. I seriously doubt that will happen the way insurance is now.

Silver 182
I was hoping to insure another 1*2 for <£1000 fully comp when I'm 21 in 8 months. I seriously doubt that will happen the way insurance is now.

It would if you live in a good area and your parents have no claims/ points as good additional drivers bring the price down (as if they were using it and careful experienced drivers.. car less likely to have an accident than if it was driven purely by you.)

As i said.. 770 for me at 22.

1.2 dynamique
well your all lucky i had a small crash when i was 17 which was decided 50 50 and now i pay 2400 third party only on quinn for a 1.2

Skoda Fabia vRS
ive tried adding my dad to it aswell who has never claimed in all his years driving, and it put £100 on the policy

Citroen DS3 White
Mine went up from £800ish to £1300 ish on Direct line. I'm 30, 8 years no claims, one SP30, that's it. Rang them to ask why, snow. Went with Endsleigh in the end at £1100. Stupid East London.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Fail. Don't get this tbh.

1.1 C2 worth £2400 = £514
1.6 89bhp UK MX5 worth £1300 = £740
1.8 133bhp Eunos import worth £2000 = £740

The f**k?

E87 118d M Sport
At the moment a 1.9 130 bhp diesel golf is looking more expensive to insure than the 172...../confused.

Silver 182
C2 is alot less popular mx5 .. and eunos.. well its an import )

is c2 younger car than the other 2?

brand new c180 was cheaper to insure than 180 clk x reg... and the answer was "because this car is newer and hence safer"

Nissan Jewk
I paid £400 last year with 2 years NCB. This year, my NCB is now 3 years, but I got 3 points for speeding on motorway. My cheapest quote is £800, wtf?

Fiesta ST2
I always vowed never to spend over a grand on insurance, my highest was £900 which was my first year on a 1.1 Renault 5 campus.

Not paid over £500 for most of my driving career.

all well and good mate but now you would be paying around 1500 / 1800 to insure that if you where 17 and just passed your test! also as its over 1.0 some insurance companies wouldnt even touch you now!

i'm paying £1600 for my 07 197 F1 i'm 23 with 2 years ncb (or 3? cant remember) I accept its dear because of my age we'll see what its like next march when I have another year ncb.. might need to get rid of it might not! who knows

Clio 172 Cup
Just had my renewal through for my 172cup. I have been shopping around and cant seem to get it much lower than £1200 a year. I have 5 years no claims and no accidents but i do have 6 points (1 sp30 conviction) for a rather stupid act at the Evo triangle.

I need to have comprehensive cover, protected no claims and its a cup so is there anywhere I should look for a quote aside the usual tesco/go/comparethemarket? Ive sent for an email quote with Adrian Flux and Greenlight dont want to touch a Cup!

Any help appreciated.

Monaro VXR
Just went on money supermarket to get a quote for the C4 or should that be have a laugh at the quotes.

£1320 was the lowest one with a £3000 compulsory excess...honestly £3000.

I wouldn't mind but the car is only group 15 and I am 27 with 7 years NCB and never had any points or accidents. 7000 miles a year and I use another car more than the VTS. I just don't get how the quotes can be that high. I know Manchester is bad but f**king hell. Not like I live in a crap area in Manchester either.

clio 182
well i just renewed...

23 years young, 3 years no claims, 1 sp30. fully comp cover declaring all mods including cage, seats, harnesses, decat etc and it came in at a grand total of.........£1100......im delighted!

this is through Brentacre, cant recommend them enough

Clio Sport
I managed to save £220 this year which was a relief. Hope I get the same this next year, though it doesn't seem likely. Although I will be 25 which is an age where apparently it should go down. If anyones interested in who I'm with it was ibuyeco, but I just went with the cheapest quote.