ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats happened to car insurance ?

none of the above, ive had 1 car wrote off which was about 6+ years ago IIRC, you only have to declare them for 5 years at the most, ive no points, car is parked on the drive, ive got about 6 years NCB IIRC

If you've got over 6 years no claims, a clean licence and are over 25 then sounds like regardless of driveway you live in a shitty postcode.

Have a look on here to get an idea.

http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

Skoda Fabia vRS
yea its not the best, WA9, however its never been that big an issue until this year

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
yep, i've heard they are raping young motorists with cars they can't handle, luckily i'm an old b*****d so am not affected ;)

Yup.. Most places want sub 3k for a 1*2 for me and sky insurance want over 5k! :(

I can never understand Brentacre insurance, i e-mailed them for a quote when i was 18 and they said i had to be 19... and now i'm 19 they say i have to be 20. They are ment to be rather good aswell.

yea its not the best, WA9, however its never been that big an issue until this year

It'll no doubt be playing a part, if they're pushing up premiums you can bet that high risk postcodes will be seeing a higher increase than low risk.

Integra Type-R DC2
Teg is going to cost me over £1500 to insure this year. Up £200, not bloody happy. Probably going to have to get rid of it.

Doesn't anyone else call and try their luck at renewal time?

I always, without fail, call and say I've got a quote cheaper than my renewal notice (exaggerated) and get it cheaper.

Skoda Fabia vRS

I always, without fail, call and say I've got a quote cheaper than my renewal notice (exaggerated) and get it cheaper.

always, but the thing is the comparison sites are usually good to bring your premium down with a proper company, like i said at first i pay more than my cheapest quote because i wanted to go with someone i trust, and with the legal cover etc etc etc

im worried this time im gonna end up paying like £900 again and i thought those days were long gone

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

Yeah. I was with Admiral, tried all the companies under the group (Elephant etc) and managed to knock my renewal down by £350. If you can prove you actually got a quote by giving a reference or whatever they've got no choice but to match it. I don't have a performance car or anything so I have no problems insuring myself with them.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
my renewal was for the same amount as last year, phoned them up and got £100 off. job done. (ended up cheaper than comparison sites)

with Tesco :)

Last edited:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
A lot of the companies refuse to match quotes now, and discount!

Directline just told me when I asked to cancel the policy that they will not budge on their renewal price at all!

Skoda Fabia vRS
gonna have to be option 1 :(

im not gettin rid of the Furby as its saved me a lot of money over all, less tax than the Clio, it WAS cheaper to insure, better mpg, and touch wood 2 years of trouble free motoring

cant afford to move yet either

gonna try adding the mrs or my dad on as second drivers see if that makes any difference, could do with the other half on it anyway but all the years previous its gone up

Corsa :$
Will the mrs be able to actually drive the car though? Do you trust her not to kurb your wheels? lol

When i added the OH on to my insurance, it went up....

Noticed my dads insurance was higher this year than last because i deal with all that stuff in our house. He was quoted £378 last year fully comp, this year smallest i could get it for was £490!!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I've added my mum and dad - bought my insurance down by £400 with Elephant!

They don't even live with me antmore, but I can still add them according to them.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Once you're over 23 / 24 and start getting up above 5 years NCB, it all comes down to post code and changes in the market.

Mine went up £200 because I moved house, lol.

Skoda Fabia vRS
lol had to read that a few times before i understood that, but buyin the Furby is one of the best purchases ive ever made

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I've just purhcased mine for £587 in the end through Elephant. Not bad considering my renewal price was over double that from Directline!!

What is strange though is that if I said that my car was parked in the street rather than the garage then it brings the price down by £85 - insurance just doesn't make sense at all tbh!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've just purhcased mine for £587 in the end through Elephant. Not bad considering my renewal price was over double that from Directline!!

What is strange though is that if I said that my car was parked in the street rather than the garage then it brings the price down by £85 - insurance just doesn't make sense at all tbh!

Probably been a spate of garage burglaries in your area or something, which resulted in cars being damaged, so the % of cars damaged in garages increased above cars damaged on the street in your area.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I don't think so we've had anything recently in the area, well, I've not heard anything.

Insurance just makes no sense at all ... for example, if I put my job title to "Sales Executive - Travelling" instead of "Sales Executive - Non-travelling" then it brings it down even more?!

I'm pleased I got it down to what it is tbh - I've not paid more than last year now, I did have to fiddle the mileage though which I will increase if needed later in the year, although most companies dont' even ask for the vehicle milage anyway!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think so we've had anything recently in the area, well, I've not heard anything.

Insurance just makes no sense at all ... for example, if I put my job title to "Sales Executive - Travelling" instead of "Sales Executive - Non-travelling" then it brings it down even more?!

I'm pleased I got it down to what it is tbh - I've not paid more than last year now, I did have to fiddle the mileage though which I will increase if needed later in the year, although most companies dont' even ask for the vehicle milage anyway!

As I say, it's all based on stats, so travelling sales man have less (or less serious) claims than none travelling.

I agree though, it doesn't always seemt o make sense.

We just have to pay it.

Not helped by all the fronting / not bothering that happens no doubt.

Bumder With A Buffer
£520 for my new car :)

<-------

£80 quid more then Greenlight wanted to renew the 172!!! And Greenlight wanted £1200 for the EVO. Yeah sod off.

my renewal came though for 411 from last years 370 did a reqoute though admiral got it down to 396 which they would match went on to go compare got an even cheaper quote of 379 admiral were again quite happy to match their own cheaper quote took servral calls though

Bumder With A Buffer
^^^ I got mine even cheaper by using the multicar ption. My and the GF both have cars at the same address so it made sense.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I'm gonna try putting the mrs on a multicar policy with myself (Diamond are the cheapest stand alone) see if it's cheaper.

Skoda Fabia vRS
still not had my renewal yet but its looking like ill be paying £1000 this year :(

checked some more sites today and the prices are similar to when i posted this thread, this sucks big donkey balls

its no wonder people drive without insurance

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I just went for a 10 month no claims booster policy with Elephant for my cheapest. Did Some quotes for when I get my first NCB and on average my premiums go down about £1,000.

I found price comparison sites to be bloody expensive compared to ringing around too.

In your shoes Brun I'd sell the skoda and buy a £200 shed to run about in. Use the cash saved from cheaper insurance and back from selling the skoda to fund moving. Buy a place with a postcode where the insurers don't presume your car will end up on fire on it's roof inside a week.

Skoda Fabia vRS
lol, i dont have the funds to move for another 2 years+

and i love the Fabia, its saved me a lot of money on fuel/repairs in the 18 months ive owned it

You don't have the money because you're insisting on keeping the Fabia and paying out £1000 a year on things like insurance ;-)

Buy a nail with 12 months tax and mot if it lasts longer great if not throw it away. I paid £235 to tax the Clio alone this year.

Skoda Fabia vRS
if i buy a nail ill only spend the money id save on the extra fuel it will drink, and repairs to it, their is no point in doing it whatsoever

You work in a garage don't you? I know techs who run old diesel 106' or fiestas which they never do any work on and use barely any fuel. Sounds like you're just making lame excuses to cling on to the fabia. If I had to choose between property or an ever depreciating lump of metal I'd go with a pile of bricks all day long. Guess it's all about priorities.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
The z4s quote has gone up about £400, but tbf i may just store it for a while n drive the golf

LY 200
I got mine down by about 200 quid on this years automatic renewal which was a hike on the previous after a few years with Directline.

Mine was just over 500 with RAC using go compare.