ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What has this person done?

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Dat gear change thou...

Doesn't sound like hes spinning it much in 2nd? But 3rd? Not sure.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
There's nothing particularly amazing about the gearchanges. However by the looks of things he's moderating the throttle in 1st and 2nd and then was expecting to have enough grip in 3rd to go WOT.

RB Clio 182
My 182 gets to 70 quicker than that so it must be wheel spin.

th_CAM01021_1901_zpsaf11ce75.jpg
o]

Clio RS 200 Gordini
There's nothing particularly amazing about the gearchanges. However by the looks of things he's moderating the throttle in 1st and 2nd and then was expecting to have enough grip in 3rd to go WOT.

I can never shift like that in my car!

Renault Clio 172 cup
Was expecting to see something amazing when I watched this video , but its just some bloke going through the gears ( fluently enough but nothing special ). Dont know what the fuss is.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
FLOL! so does every car in the world.....thats the point of gears..

I think your confused about what your trying ti get across.

No, I usually lose 2k extra RPM on top of the gears during a shift and thats going as fast as possible. I can't get it anywhere near the same speed of that shift.

Can you stop being so rude in your replies?

RB Clio 182
I don't know who you are being sarcastic to?

You, cant you count??

Mine does it in 7.5 seconds seconds ish, it starts at 5 and a half secs, and finishes at 13 secs to get to 70mph.

The one you posted starts at 3 secs and takes until 12 secs to get to 70mph, thats 9 secs, derrrr!

What you are seeing in your post is wheel spin, no sarcasm needed, just video evidence son.

Last edited:
  Clio RS 200 Gordini
@Kazumz I'm not quite sure what you're on about.

Do you mean that the revs drop 2k below what the next gear's RPM is, and drag it back up with the clutch?

No no, as usual when I change gears it obviously drops revs as I'm doing it and I usually rev match it to the next shift, but that shift above was like lightning compared to my car. But yes what you said is correct but I just rev match it instead rather than jolt the car with the clutch.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I think you must just have very slow hand/eye/foot co-ordination or something. Every car ive ever owned can be shifted that quickly or quicker..

Clio RS 200 Gordini
I think you must just have very slow hand/eye/foot co-ordination or something. Every car ive ever owned can be shifted that quickly or quicker..

Might just be that, sometimes I mess up going from 1st to 2nd and I get a jolt, other times its like butter. I suppose its down to inexperience to be honest.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
did you say you rev match on the way up the box?

there is a massive difference in the speed you can shift in a 197/200 gearbox compaired to the gearbox on a 1.2 tce that's why!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
No no, as usual when I change gears it obviously drops revs as I'm doing it and I usually rev match it to the next shift, but that shift above was like lightning compared to my car. But yes what you said is correct but I just rev match it instead rather than jolt the car with the clutch.

I get what you mean, I think.

2000RPM Idle
rev to 7100RPM
Shift
2nd gear starts at 5100RPM-ish, revs to 7100RPM
Shift
3rd gear so on and so on.

The video shows the MPH needle going up with almost no hesitation. However, if you look at the RPM needle, it does go down 2000RPM or similar.

I think if you really went for it, you would be able to replicate that with ease if I'm honest.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Might just be that, sometimes I mess up going from 1st to 2nd and I get a jolt, other times its like butter. I suppose its down to inexperience to be honest.

If you're really quick shifting, you get a jolt as the RPM of the engine is still above the RPM of the next gear, so you actually jump forward.

Powershifting (keeping the throttle down and just pushing the clutch) is even 'quicker' as you essentially build up momentum in the flywheel when you push the clutch in, and then dump it back into the wheels when you let it out after changing gear. However it is REALLY bad for your box. And your drivetrain. And your wallet. But that's how gearchanges are done when drag racing.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
When I change gears it obviously drops revs as I'm doing it and I usually rev match it to the next shift.
Kazumz, can you confirm what you mean? I'm guessing you do this:

You're in 1st and accelerate up to 6,500rpm
You engage the clutch and shift to 2nd
Using the accelerator you maintain 6,500rpm
You release the clutch

At this point do you let the revs drop to around 3,500 rpm, or do you use the clutch to maintain 6,500rpm until you shift to 3rd etc?

Clio RS 200 Gordini
@Kazumz , can you confirm what you mean? I'm guessing you do this:

You're in 1st and accelerate up to 6,500rpm
You engage the clutch and shift to 2nd
Using the accelerator you maintain 6,500rpm
You release the clutch

At this point do you let the revs drop to around 3,500 rpm, or do you use the clutch to maintain 6,500rpm until you shift to 3rd etc?

No, I don't maintain 6,500 going in to the next gear as that's my limiter! I use the accelerator to "guess" where the revs are if the clutch was engaged going in to the next gear. Sometimes its lovely and smooth sometimes it's not, down to experience really isn't it?

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Or vehicles that actually need double clutching.

My head hurts reading this thread, I think OP is just a bit 'dim' to be polite.

Ah your another one of those 'Rude f***s' that this forum has. No, it's just gone off topic. It has already been answered on the first page and you had no reason to reply.

Ah your another one of those 'Rude f**ks' that this forum has. No, it's just gone off topic. It has already been answered on the first page and you had no reason to reply.

No, not really, I'm very tame compared to some. It's just completely useless trying to rev match when upshifting, and I'm guessing on the road too, which in turn one would assume you drive like a tool. As Budgie said, it's downshifting where it counts.

Oh, and it's You're, not your.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
No, not really, I'm very tame compared to some. It's just completely useless trying to rev match when upshifting, and I'm guessing on the road too, which in turn one would assume you drive like a tool. As Budgie said, it's downshifting where it counts.

Oh, and it's You're, not your.

I'm sorry. I'm not writing a dissertation each time I post. Extremely childish.