ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welshname's Monaco 172

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Not sure if I would have driven that far for a 172 that needed work and belts done. In saying that, you seem confident enough to work on it yourself, so shouldn't be that much of an issue!

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I will compression test it at some point but tbh it'll make no difference, if it's shagged I'm not rebuilding it, it'll just get swapped when it goes.

And yeah that sounds good for oulton.

Not sure if I would have driven that far for a 172 that needed work and belts done. In saying that, you seem confident enough to work on it yourself, so shouldn't be that much of an issue!

I've driven further FLOL. Picked the fiesta up from Woking. But it needs belts yeah but it's been well maintained and the "work" is all small stuff that I would do as a matter of course on any car tbh.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I've driven further FLOL. Picked the fiesta up from Woking. But it needs belts yeah but it's been well maintained and the "work" is all small stuff that I would do as a matter of course on any car tbh.
Lol fair doos! I'll keep an eye on the updates.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Gates cambelt kit arrived today. Fingers crossed the aux kit is here tomorrow.

ryme9agu.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Borrowing some genuine ones. Picking them up tonight from a friend. Also going to attempt to pick up the pas pump, dogbone and maybe upper engine mount tonight

How much is the dephaser these days, I'd have bought one too even though there is no noise now. You just never know with these things.

I need to sort my PAS out tomorrow morning then I'll fire round to help you (weather permitting)

I bought the Trophy with the belts just done. I got them done again straight away as they didn't do the dephaser. Worth doing!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Got on with stripping the rest of bits down tonight. Pas pump off and swapped over (took over an hour just to get that done, was a nightmare to get off, then a nightmare to get back on.) Took ages and ages to get the new one on until I realised if I put the top bolt in I could tap it round that as a pivot point.

Got the top and bottom belt covers off but I'm now stuck as I can't find my torque wrench. Going to have to either buy another or borrow one. FML.

Got on with stripping the rest of bits down tonight. Pas pump off and swapped over (took over an hour just to get that done, was a nightmare to get off, then a nightmare to get back on.) Took ages and ages to get the new one on until I realised if I put the top bolt in I could tap it round that as a pivot point.

Got the top and bottom belt covers off but I'm now stuck as I can't find my torque wrench. Going to have to either buy another or borrow one. FML.

I'll bring mine round. Need anything else?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
A new back after tonight. In agony lol!

Think that's everything tbh. Drop me a text in the morning when you're free. I'll probably be making a start on getting the old belt, tensioners and pulleys off tbh.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. Joey is just being paranoid. He spent all day going "oh dear" whenever a bolt was touched.

And yeah it's low. Going to flush it in a week or two anyway so I'll probably just top it up with water for now.

Tomorrow I'll get the aux done and refil the PAS system and see how we get on. The weather today made things a little more time consuming than I'd hoped.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL! Forgot you two pikeys got your hands on the headlights. Like I said, I was going to do them as soon as I picked the car up but it was late and I was tired so hadn't bothered yet.

Cheers for your help today. I'd have been screwed without a second pair of hands.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I have a spare pair of Xenons for spare/repair if you want them cheap? Something rattles inside, I've never bothered to look at what needs replacing.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So. There are zero pictures but everything is up and running. It's been a long weekend but it's paid off.

Massive thanks to Jon.G JoeyD and Jonff for their help, would have been very stuck without more than one pair of hands. Also cheers to Scrooge for some on the phone help even though he was busy doing other stuff at the unit.

I've just quickly cleaned the car and now I'm cleaning myself before going out and enjoying a proper drive in it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
That was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. I'd been saying all along that the PAS was the thing I was most worried about being okay and then at the most tense moment imaginable...VOLCANO!

Was putting the car back together today after Jon had left and saw what looked like a "G" on my brake lines, so I wiped them with my hoodie to find these hidden underneath.

13364514444_0735fdfd63_z.jpg

Hidden Gem by welshname, on Flickr

They were that covered in s**t that without close inspection they just looked like standard lines! Very happy with that as it was on my list of things to do.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Not do the oil, filter and spark plugs when you did the belts?

Did my dogbone mount yesterday, tried to do it without a vice... top tip, use a vice. I did in the end.