ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibration at 50mph + (clio 182)

Mini, Clio, Megane
Hello all,

Ive had this vibration on the clio since I bought it. Ive had 2 new front tyres and balanced (twice now), track rod end replaced and tracking set. Cant feel any play in wishbones etc etc. Small knock on the NSF strut top, slight play on inner rod on steering but not worth noting.

Basically when driving, at speeds in excess of 40mph the steering wheel shakes. It gets worse with speed, so 70/80mph is really shaking the wheel.

The drivers side CV boot was loose when I got the car, now secured.

Is this a driveshaft issue? anything else I can check tomorrow without a ramp?

Jordie

Mini, Clio, Megane
Had tracking done, guy said it was out....

Drove home, no real improvement. Now i wonder if this is related, i find the car hard to drive, it wonders across the road randomly. I cant find any play in the wishbones etc. So ive been reading about steering rack bushes and that may be the issue, but need to check it out at the weekend.

Could the rack bushes be so worn that the vibration is caused by the rack moving? Vibration is mainly 40+ mph. Steering is very vague.

Ive been trying to get it into DTM but they are on holiday. I might order the bushes just incase as I may have access to a ramp at the weekend.

Last edited:
  Mini, Clio, Megane
Broken NSF spring, mis matched OSF spring. Play in both inner tie rods. ARB bushes showing wear.....some other stuff too, bit of a list to work though.

DTM doing springs and tie rods for me.