ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valve failure at 7500rpm.

HBT 172 Cup
c**ting crappy F4R's

DSC01219.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01224.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
Haha cars always been set to 7350rpm, had the cams put in and thought it pulled a bit better top end, pulled over in a layby few clicks on the laptop and away we go.....less than 5 minutes later im on the side of the road with a dead car :(

ITB'd MK1
Haha cars always been set to 7350rpm, had the cams put in and thought it pulled a bit better top end, pulled over in a layby few clicks on the laptop and away we go.....less than 5 minutes later im on the side of the road with a dead car :(

lesson: LEAVE IT THE f**k ALONE!!!!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
some last and others dont, my other clio used to bounce at 7800 with bodies and 428s all day long and never batted an eye lid, ive not tried to go past stock revs with this one tho

HBT 172 Cup
I guess the 421's warrant better springs when at 7500rpm? Should be noted the valves are only 5000 miles old tops, but they were "camtec" pattern part ones :S

Clio 172
I know your pain... looks identical to my first engine that died... second engine that died wasn't as bad (was going much slower, just bent the valve).

First one:

HA2P1390.jpg

HA2P1392.jpg

Needless to say, my car now runs OEM cams...

Clio 172
Were 428's both times. First time it happened the car still had the std rev-limit too... f**k knows why it happened.

Golf GTD Mk7
421s should be fine on standard internals. Looks like you've been unlucky mate. You looking fir a new lump now?

Renaultsport Clio 172
mine has cams, set to 7500 and although I very rarely hit the limiter it often sees the redline, shift right after the first red line but I can sware it is right ther at the edge on 7500 and has not failed. Like said, bad luck and/or a tired engine. this things are not foreever, they are at least 6 years old, but you mentioned it did not have OEM valves, I take those would be the weak links on your chain.

So forgive me if I'm wrong, it was setup and mapped to 7350rpm and you thought it would be just fine to raise it the rev limit more? Without adjusting anything like timing/fueling all the other parts you do calibrationwise etc etc?

There's a reason a race base looks like that. It's expected it'll be taken and all the interior thrown in the bin anyway (would have thought being a cup owner that thought would have crossed your mind with yours ;) ) then replaced with a bride bucket, takata's and a cage then off to play. Why pay more for the recaro's, red carpets etc if you plan to strip it anyway. Common sense ;)