ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday Claim for hitting another car

02 Iceberg 172
Woah. Down here in Australia it is basically that once you are on a racetrack you are uninsured and everything is at your own risk - both physically and financially (although there may be a few some niche insurers here offer some kind of trackday insurance but iirc they are usually capped ie. up to a maximum value and/or the costs are astronomical (thousands of $$$)).

So pretty much the understanding is that everyone is responsible for their own car and if anything happens it's stiff s**t - if you don't like the risk then you don't go on track. I was always envious of the availability of cheap trackday insurance in the UK, as the idea of paying something like the equivalent of £50 for peace of mind was kind of appealing - however now it seems like it may potentially result in far greater financial risks than what we are currently exposed to. Think I'm happy with our existing 'if you are on track you are uninsured' status tbh...

Woah. Down here in Australia it is basically that once you are on a racetrack you are uninsured and everything is at your own risk - both physically and financially (although there may be a few some niche insurers here offer some kind of trackday insurance but iirc they are usually capped ie. up to a maximum value and/or the costs are astronomical (thousands of $$$)).

So pretty much the understanding is that everyone is responsible for their own car and if anything happens it's stiff s**t - if you don't like the risk then you don't go on track. I was always envious of the availability of cheap trackday insurance in the UK, as the idea of paying something like the equivalent of £50 for peace of mind was kind of appealing - however now it seems like it may potentially result in far greater financial risks than what we are currently exposed to. Think I'm happy with our existing 'if you are on track you are uninsured' status tbh...

trackday cover in the uk is not as great as you might think , its expensive ,the exces is normally 10% of the vehicle value or more , and does not cover mechanical damage .

Point missed...in this case they didn't claim from each other.

Driver A claimed from his insurance company and they paid out. Driver B had no cover so couldn't claim for the damage.

That's as far as the insurance went/goes.

After all that, the insurance company then chose to pursue Driver B in a seperate action to recover the costs they'd had to cover repairing the car of driver A.

So, no, insurance/compulsory cover for every driver on a trackday wouldn't solve a single thing..

Just to requote mark as I think over the first 5 pages this fact was lost.

I think it's bloody cheeky from the insurers point of view. How on earth can they refuse to offer 3rd party cover but then chase the claim.

I'm genuinely outraged by this. It makes no sense. Does the disclaimer you sign before going on track carry no legal weighting?

To add to my above post.

I took insurance for the Llandow day with burpspeed. I did it for peace of mind that I needed to drive to work in something on Monday morning.

If someone hit me on the day or worse if i hit someone else, I'd have shook their hand and apologised on the assumption that everyone knows the risks (and If you want to mitigate that, you take your own insurance out).

If following that I'd got wind that the insurer was chasing a 3rd party for costs I'd have dropped the claim and never bothered with insurance again - as it whole heartily undermines the principle of trackday insurance.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
A lot or people on here laughed at me when I first said this could happen bar Chip who actually saw the sense in this, for the sake of £100 plus excess it's worth taking it out, there are vultures everywhere and insurance companies are always going to look to recover the cost, something I have seen which may cover people who do this all the time is a personal liability insurance policy on an annual basis, this way it would cover you on track and off track for other stuff too, you can insure anything these days ( hair for instance ) so it's probably worth a look.

Harbinger Please explain to me how the bloke who got sued could have paid £100 and stopped this

FFS FOR THE LAST TIME YOU CANNOT GET 3RD PARTY COVER .NOTHING COULD HAVE COVERED THE CIVIC DRIVER NOT A SINGLE POLICY IN THE UK WILL !!!!!!

And I have been doing car and bike track days since 1989 ...... in the mid 90's your comp road policy could cover you (certain ones) that has long since gone .

Clio 182 FF
If following that I'd got wind that the insurer was chasing a 3rd party for costs I'd have dropped the claim and never bothered with insurance again - as it whole heartily undermines the principle of trackday insurance.
+1.

And if I really thought that the 3rd party should pay me for the damage they caused, I'd much rather sort it out with the person directly like gentlemen... would end up costing them less as it would't have the insurance companies/solicitors/courts costs on top!

WRX
I'm just interested in the internal investigation at the moment. Hopefully sense will prevail, I'd love to say common sense but unfortunately it isn't common anymore.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm just interested in the internal investigation at the moment. Hopefully sense will prevail, I'd love to say common sense but unfortunately it isn't common anymore.

It should be renamed rare sense.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A lot or people on here laughed at me when I first said this could happen bar Chip who actually saw the sense in this, for the sake of £100 plus excess it's worth taking it out, there are vultures everywhere and insurance companies are always going to look to recover the cost, something I have seen which may cover people who do this all the time is a personal liability insurance policy on an annual basis, this way it would cover you on track and off track for other stuff too, you can insure anything these days ( hair for instance ) so it's probably worth a look.

Pay 100 quid to who ?

trackday insurance doesn't cover third parties, and I would be surprised if liability insurance will but I would be happy to pay for it if it does.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
The situation would still be the same if both drivers had insurance, how can people not understand this?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
+1.

And if I really thought that the 3rd party should pay me for the damage they caused, I'd much rather sort it out with the person directly like gentlemen... would end up costing them less as it would't have the insurance companies/solicitors/courts costs on top!

So you run up the back of a 458 as your braking distance is greater, your really going to be able to sort that out :S

There is some proper s**t on this thread.

It's the opinions people have of trackdays in this thread that makes me want to go into sprints and timed events rather than be on track with idiots lol

Clio 182 FF
So you run up the back of a 458 as your braking distance is greater, your really going to be able to sort that out :S
I'd rather be paying them the cost of fixing their 458, than paying them the cost of fixing their 458 + the cost of solicitors + the cost of their insurance companies 'admin' fee + the cost of courts.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

458 guy will probably be smart enough to be insured lol, f**k wasting a 458 because some muppet can't drive.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
458 guy will probably be smart enough to be insured lol, f**k wasting a 458 because some muppet can't drive.

And because you were the muppet who ran into him his insurance company come running after you to recover their costs. Which will be in excess of the cost to fix a Ferrari in a main deals d

To be fair in all this the ruling seems weird or there are facts we dont know . Representing yourself shen being sued for 20k plus is naive to say the least

And after doing trackdays since 1989 .... and I have no idea how many but it will be 100 + ...... I have only ever been at 1 day when there has been car to car contact ...

Big accidents and car to car contact are not that common .... trax/action days aside .

And the largest percentage of accidents on trackdays are racecars .

I wouldn't be getting overly concerned ... and no doubt someone will help owen appeal it anyway

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is some proper s**t on this thread.

It's the opinions people have of trackdays in this thread that makes me want to go into sprints and timed events rather than be on track with idiots lol

Youll soon get bored of driving for two mins a few times a day on an empty track I reckon if you are used to trackdays.

Youll soon get bored of driving for two mins a few times a day on an empty track I reckon if you are used to trackdays.
Don't knock it till you try it ;) I know plenty of hillclimb and sprint guys who have more than enough budget to race or do many trackdays but they choose not to so it can't be all that bad

WRX
^Hate to think of the budget of the top guys with their Goulds.
Still think people seem to be missing the potential implications of this and the fact that being insured wouldn't alter them being sued one bit.
Plus Mr. 458 shouldn't take his car on track, if he can't accept the worst consequences. He should take a £2k Clio too lol.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
You'd try to outbrake a 458?

I have seen it so many times a muppet in a s**t box is fine trailing a supercar into a bend.

But if the super car has to avoid someone in front the s**t box will find his brakes are no where near as good.

How trackdays have the keyboard experts done?

Your unlikely to get silly expensive cars at old aerodromes etc but been on track with many an exotic.

The exotic driver may be new to trackdays but as on the road every hero will have a go.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I remember watching a flash prick in a brand new 360CS get thoroughly humiliated by a pink Clio Cup car at Donington a good few years ago

RS Clio 172 Cup

I had the same concerns before trying it. On paper the price per track mile/ time is extortionate but its completely different to track days. Because youre against the clock and competing against others its brilliant fun.

Because you do so few laps and therefore very little wear on tyres, brakes etc its very cheap motorsport. I sprint and do track days as both are great fun.

WRX
Glad you understand Willo. The driver of the first Caterham rolled out as far as I can see. Harv (as stated by himself, in the second car) did well, slowed down and carried on as you should. What am I missing?

Glad you understand Willo. The driver of the first Caterham rolled out as far as I can see. Harv (as stated by himself, in the second car) did well, slowed down and carried on as you should. What am I missing?

You are missing Adam that my phone did some weird auto correction, so what i typed didn't read well.

That was probably one of my single most scary on track moments , i was actually at full chat and Rich Morris was on a cool down lap, and only hit the trail of coolant at about 70. I would have hit it 40 to 50 mph faster had it not been for his accident, and i was running slicks and that was right where my R/H wheels would have been .

For the grace of god i saw tyresmoke and went on the brakes as soon as the car was pointing straight , else there was a good chance i may have also collected him and at a greater speed than the honda .

Rich broke 2 ribs in that Incident , another point ....stay in your car !! he should never have got out .

WRX
Not you mate, I'm not getting the rolling bit. You're right he should have stayed in the car. Totally get what you've said. Unless Riz means you did well to avoid it, I don't know lol.