ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tow straps yes or no?

rs 182
Hi guys, seen a few cars about with tow straps on them, cant decide if i like them or not, anyone got a pic of one on a Titanium 182?

Cheers

rs 182
im not that keen on the eyes to be honest, i think i actually prefer the straps, just not sure if i want one or not

An orange one
They just look crap IMO, If a member of general public has to ask what something is or why it's there, you look stupid having to explain it, and looks as though your car breaks down a lot

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
w**k.
It looks like you're car has swallowed a sock or is sporting a disease ridden cuddly toy like a bin wagon.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ive got a black one fitted. My mrs mate is pretty thick and she actually thought it was part of the cars seatbelt sticking out of the bumper :s

Although ive got one fitted. I still dont know if i like it or not.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine hasnt faded yet. I have noticed it gets very dirty though!

20130203_133517_zps26b751bc.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
How long has it been on though. We had a nice bright orange one, it now looks a rusty brown colour.

Ive got a black one fitted. My mrs mate is pretty thick and she actually thought it was part of the cars seatbelt sticking out of the bumper :s

Genuine lols, just how you said she was thick made it funnier :,)

I was going to get a trs tow strap but I decided to get a tow eye instead (same one that Dan linked) I'm glad I did tbh, look a lot nicer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unless you're being towed, no.

Would you fit a space-saver spare just for the lolz?

And if someone is towing you using a solid bar, when the person towing brakes, the bar is going straight through your front grill and taking anything else out behind it!

They're pointless and s**t.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
But, just to play devils advocate here, I bet they make the pre-teen girls gush like a broken tap

I'm married so my penis doesn't work. Therefore that matters little to me! lol

Listerine & Poledo
Fairy liquid? On noes! That means another Clio is about to be found embedded in a wall!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Unless fitted properly, sack getting towed with it! Have seen bumpers burst to bits because there mounted behind then flopped over bits to sit out all nice. I personally have towing eyes front and rear.

Drive to track day. Pop out bumper blank. Screw in OEM tow eye. Finish track day. Unscrew OEM two eye. Pop bumper blank back in. Drive home.

Any kind of tow eyes/straps on a road car make you look like an automotive leper. IMO.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
They just look crap IMO, If a member of general public has to ask what something is or why it's there, you look stupid having to explain it, and looks as though your car breaks down a lot

Ive got a tow eye for exactly that reason, ive covered more miles in a recovery truck than in my clio!
also i HAD to change it as one recovery guy winched the car so far up the flatbed he put a 45' bend in the renault eye and ripped the threads out!

mine is now held in with 2 lockbolts and a bracing plate behind the chassis rail

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I don't have Silvervisions either. If I fit those will CS like my car again?

I think they look sh*t!!

And as Daniel pointed out. When the person towing you brakes, their tow bar is going straight through your grill and whats behind it.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
I had a red one on mine for a while. Looked good but when it came to me needing to actually being towed I was stupid. Due to me not having a 17/19mm spanner in my car i couldnt move the tow strap from behind the bumper so it could be used as it was behind the bumper and put into the lower part of the grill all for visual purposes(Stupid me). Since then i have took it off and its been in the shed :) Rather have no tow strap and just use the renault tow eye :)

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
They look like you are a try hard who has never been on a trackday and they are totally impractical.

But if you like them go for it.

Clio 172
Mine is on my car all the time as when doing track days the standard Renault item went in about 3 turns and seized, bought a TRS one and a high tensile steel bolt and had it fitted with the aid of an impact gun. Its not coming out again and my car is for track use so its a permanent fixture.

Listerine & Poledo
Why would you have a tow eye or strap perma-fitted to a road car?

I mean, yes fine, it's a Clio, barely a step up from any given Alfa, but do you really want to advertise that it spends more time under the power of another vehicle?

Mind, while it is on tow you'll get nawty MPGs