ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Did one recently with high comp and 438s, although strangled by the overly silenced exhaust it pulled very hard indeed.

I don't see how you could see an aftermarket ECU as a downside in any way, the stock ECU is so inflexible it's very fruatrating to try to work with. Even a map that's had a lot of time and attention spent on it is never any more than best guess, to do more than that isn't possible. Pete should already be running on super, that's what it's mapped for and I told him to use.

438s will work perfectly with ITBs

In any case, that's not the route I would plan, but that's between me and Pete to discuss :)

Hi Dan I'll drop you a mail re this, still got you other mail, I'll reply to that and see what I can sort out.

Had a couple of deliveries last week, rear brake calipers returned from Bigg Red and my new fiberglass bonnet and boot, unpacked and they are as good as expected - light, bonnet 4.8-5kg and boot with no polycarb window 4kg and almost ready to fit, some holes to drill and that's it. Oh and a paint.

Had planned to travel up to Oulton Park to watch the CSCC race but things being things and plans didn't go to plan, we didn't go and now have a mountain of Brownies to get through - someone has to win???

Any way over the weekend fitted the rear calipers back on only to find that they both leaked, again from the same place, from the handbrake operating lever. Not impressed to say the least. Have called Bigg Red and they are sending out some refurbed rears obtained from another supplier and these should be here before the weekend. 3rd time lucky I hope.

Also started removing the bonnet and boot - Bonnet was easy, though I cut a bit of the inside wings off to get at the bonnet hinge bolts - pikey, but after the faf with the calipers wasn't in the mood to remove the bolts screws\allowing me to move the wing 1cm to get at 2 bolts. Bonnet weighed in at 13kg with hinges\bolts attached - 9kg saved there. Just waiting for the bonnet pins to arrive, using four pins as not going to put the Aerocatches back on, will drill, spray, fit and that's all done.

The boot wasn't so easy - couldn't get the rear polycarb off - tried for ages to get a hole and then cut the sealant - the rear polycarb has only been on since March and thought it'd be easy...going to get the bloke back that fitted it to remove and re fit. The sealant would've cost me £10 and so for an extra £10 I'll get it removed and refitted. Now that's easy!!

Fitting the fibreglass boot as I see it I have to cut two access holes for the hinges (so can get the nuts on) and then drill the holes for the hinge bolts, attach hinges and then fit back to the car. Hope it's as easy as it sounds. Going to attach a length of cord, one length to each side so when open the wind won't blow it over the top onto the roof.....and a prop as I'll not be replacing the boot gas struts. Not had the boot door off yet so no weight.

Planning to go to Brands on the 30th October for a last trip out this year...if I get everything sorted in time.

Cup In bits
Be interested to see how you get on with the boot Pete, I had a quick look at mine and noticed there was some work required to mount.

Be interested to see how you get on with the boot Pete, I had a quick look at mine and noticed there was some work required to mount.

I'm also thinking to drill and use 4 instead of 2 bonnet catches, 1 just under the spoiler on each side and one each side at the bottom so it lifts off like the bonnet...going to do it on Wednesday\Thursday this week...hoping the hinges aren't to problematic too sort.

Cup In bits
I haven't really thought about making mine fully removable, ill maybe do that with the boot if the hinge points are too much hassle.

Didn't get round to doing Bonnet and boot this week, plan to do it this weekend. Rear calipers have now arrived, apart from the carriers they look new??

Going to start to de-grease\sand the fibreglass bonnet and boot ready for my eBay cheap primer and matt black paint (both Autotek)...though have 2 questions....

How much keying\sanding of the fiberglass do I need to do...just thinking enough to take the shine off?

Also will I need to lacquer the matt black paint after? - didn't on my cage inside (as it's inside the car)

Cup In bits
Just a scotch bright pad should be okay for keying the surface Pete. Matt paint's are all different, some better than others, some will say apply a lacquer others wont, have a read of the tin usually advises but if you do decide to lacquer make sure its satin or matt as you will end up with a gloss finish which im sure is not what your aiming for.

Just a scotch bright pad should be okay for keying the surface Pete. Matt paint's are all different, some better than others, some will say apply a lacquer others wont, have a read of the tin usually advises but if you do decide to lacquer make sure its satin or matt as you will end up with a gloss finish which im sure is not what your aiming for.

Also read that if you apply lacquer touching up afterwards is a pain as you have to remove\sand down...so i'll go without for now just for this reason ...Scotch bright - didn't think of that, got loads and have bought 8 sheets o P600... never mind. Didn't break the bank.

So, de-greased and rubbed down the boot and bonnet-

2012-10-13-211_zps4f2313e2.jpg

and first coat of primer - needed somewhere warm and dry; ah the conservatory - perfect. No complaints from Sam either. Who else can get away with this I wonder?

2012-10-13-212_zpse955afb2.jpg

Quite impressed with this Autotek paint £4 a 500ml can posted from eBay. Primer has gone on a treat.

All primer coats on ready for topcoat tomorrow morning, looking good so far. Have a bit of filling to do on the boot, air bubble between the gel coat and fiberglass when sanding cracked and left a hole. As I've no filler will fill and paint when it's all mounted on the car.

2012-10-13-213_zpsa0ab8867.jpg

They look good Pete.

Cheers - all coming together now

Nice job Pete, excellent use of a conservatory.

Thanks - Lol...it's purpose built...

Looking good fella, will they be hard to install. do they already have holes in to bolt the hinges or do you have to drill them?

Actually I don't think they will be, now I've prep'ed and painted them. The boot has marks for all the holes required, 6 for spoiler and two for the hinges. Just have to cut a square hole above where the hinge goes for access.

Here's the bonnet - will be fitting the pins tomorrow -

2012-10-14-214_zps946a9935.jpg

Boot is painted just have to wait for the bloke to swap the rear screen over tomorrow before I fit, cut and drill it. Ran out of time today as also re fitted the rear brakes, fingers crossed they haven't leaked..... yet. Though both rears seem to be bind a fair bit now, really hard to rotate the disk by hand. Would this be the two sliders on each caliper bolt being stiff...they did move OK\free before I fitted.

Last edited:
Looking good Pete! Do you know if the guy you got your set off of has anymore of these panels? Wouldnt mind a set to keep for a 'rainy day'...

Nick

Not sure Nick PM Hal who's HRRAcing on here - He happened to have a pair in when I pm'd other wise it would've been a wait for them to be made etc.

I thought it would look s**t. But that isnt to bad! good price too

No quite showroom finish but passes the 20 mtr visual very well.

Got the bonnet pinned and fitted the boot today - also hopefully sorted the binding rears too.

Some pic's of the finished bonnet and the boot - still have to put the lower pins in, it all took longer than planned (as is always the case) started at 07:30 and got the Cup back in the barn just before 18:00.

Remembered to re route the washers too - not a bad screen wash either.

2012-10-15-216_zpse20b926c.jpg

and the boot with a nice matching matt black spoiler on too - an eBay bargain, not sure what Clio it came off but the colour is just right.

2012-10-15-215_zpsfd5ada2d.jpg

Ok sounds good Pete, This is a route im thinking about going down as well. Agree with above, as its a race car, the 20m visual will do ;)

Any idea of total weight of car (without driver) when finished?

Had it weighed when corner weighted earlier this year was 925kg (or 928) with a full tank - didn't get round to weighing the boot after I took it off - but should think it's all close to 900kg with a full tank, take of 35kg for fuel = 865kg dry.

I'll weigh the boot + glass + spoiler later and post the scores then.

Tyre walls don't mind them.

Phew - had a massive Doh moment there as didn't give the MSA reg's a thought.....

Love it Pete, looks spot on that. I take it the OEM cup spoiler weights a lot, was this why you put that spoiler on?

Yes, this one is from a black 1.4 Clio (only know as someone has just posted a project about one) weighs less than half - it's singled skinned and that's about all there is to it. The Cup spoiler is a fair bit chunkier and worth £100 so that's another good reason to get rid...lol.

The fitting of the bonnet was easy but time consuming - 4 hours give or take. It's double skinned where I put the rear pins and that made it a bit tricky getting the holes top to bottom - misaligned, not straight but off centre to each other allowing for the straight pin against the sloping bonnet - it was a case of four pilot holes then expand from there in the end. Front pins, the two skins are closer together so a lot less of a faff. I also choose to put backing washers on when using the rivets - stops the rivets deforming the fiberglass and pulling through too. A lot of faff but worth it I think.

Boot fitment took two hours, cut two access holes for the hinge bolts - drilled two pilot holes for the hinges and once they fitted OK took off and drilled the holes for the spoiler. The 2 middle screws were awkward as the washer is angled, a lot of - fitting, taking off then file to get them to fit. Drilled an access hole for the stop light cable. Then made two 5cm by 3cm backing plates for the hinge nuts- to spread the nut load a bit more and stuck it all on. Had someone swap the rear polycarb while I did the bonnet, will do the boot pins later this weekend. I'll just put them where the boot bump stop is I expect.

Last edited:
925kg thats good! I take it that includes the cage? Where you shed the weighed? I had mine weighed and it came in at 980 (inc 38kg cage and half tank) and mine it stripped.

It must be sub 900 with those new panels now.

Been checking since I typed the weight last night -it weighed 938kg (not 925-928) back in April Detailed in post 344

Thats with a tank of fuel, cage etc - though I took out my pax seat, sub frame and everything else that wouldn't be in the car for a race, harness etc. Cut all the vents etc out of the lower dash the lower dash is just a skin now, anything that looked like it could go did....all glass out too except front.

I'll no doubt get it corner weighted \ set up again feb march next year - will then get a more accurate weight.

R8, Clio172, 172cup
Thats with a tank of fuel, cage etc - though I took out my pax seat, sub frame and everything else that wouldn't be in the car for a race, harness etc. Cut all the vents etc out of the lower dash the lower dash is just a skin now, anything that looked like it could go did....all glass out too except front.

Thats impressive! Do you have any pics of what your dash looks like now as I am currently on a mission to strip more out of my cup and in the process of removing as much dash bits as I can. Would be really helpful to see what you ended up with. Did you lose the Airbag ECU too, or just strip it back to a box and resistors?

Got a couple of pics - sort of can see the hacking\cutting marks if you look closely....thinking I may bin the whole dash set up (well the bottom part) and make a center console type thing over winter.

I was quite cut throat with the wiring, cut out all that wasn't needed internally - though after every wire removed I started the car just to know what wire caused an issue (none did). I could still do with removing some more as put a lot of "end caps" on wire where I just run out of patience tracing back etc...

I have the serv and air bag light on all the time - not sure even if I had, had the air bag light turned off once I'd removed the air bag ecu if the light comes back on ....I just cut it all out and live with the lights - I have a shift light on top of my dash now so never look down any way.....

03032012544.jpg

From the other side....

03032012542.jpg

and shift light etc....can see air bag light on too.

ScreenHunter_01Sep152123.jpg

Got the Cup off the trailer and gave a once over ready for Brands Indy on Tuesday, will for sure get the slight leak from the gearbox sorted over winter, also finished off the boot pins and sanded the filler in the hole I made. Bubble under gel coat which cracked when sanding before spraying.

Rear calipers still leak free after two weeks.....bonus. Only had to send them back 3 times, in the end I think they sent me new ones, as now have different hand brake levers for the cable.

Doubt i'll be taking my winter work as seriously as James\BigAsh..lol. His car is now a bare shell.

Really looking forward to Brands after watching 6hrs of the BTCC, who were there last weekend - need to practice some\our wet lines too.

2012-10-27-217.jpg

Cars looking great Pete :) Where is the box leaking from just the selector? I was thinking of you the other night when I dropped one of the doors on my foot and I see what you mean about them being very heavy!

Good to hear you got the callipers sorted, I need to sort my callipers all round but dubious about sending my rears off to the same people :(

Haha needs must unfortunately :(

Brands is awesome, Have a great time!

Flipping heck Pete, that will take you hours to get to Brands.

LOL, Sam's started on her way now, with a flask.....I'll join her on Tues.

Cars looking great Pete :) Where is the box leaking from just the selector? I was thinking of you the other night when I dropped one of the doors on my foot and I see what you mean about them being very heavy!

Good to hear you got the callipers sorted, I need to sort my callipers all round but dubious about sending my rears off to the same people :(

Haha needs must unfortunately :(

Brands is awesome, Have a great time!

Think maybe possibly a bit more that the selector as there's a slight covering of muck over all that area...the selectors dripped for a while...may be the oil has just spread.

Well if you do send your calipers to Big Red you'll end up with new rear ones!! 3rd time lucky though. All in all they were helpful and at no point did they try and say it was my fault incorrect fitting etc, they took it on the chin and made good...though had it been on a in use road car I would've been more "angry". Fronts have been spot on and even pad wear too from the Donington race.

I'd be :cry: having to start over so soon....at least you'll be able to do it blind folded after putting back together....

Cheers mate.....it's addictive...! Not too sure if this will be the last either...lol. Donington in Dec maybe.....