ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Think maybe possibly a bit more that the selector as there's a slight covering of muck over all that area...the selectors dripped for a while...may be the oil has just spread.

Well if you do send your calipers to Big Red you'll end up with new rear ones!! 3rd time lucky though. All in all they were helpful and at no point did they try and say it was my fault incorrect fitting etc, they took it on the chin and made good...though had it been on a in use road car I would've been more "angry". Fronts have been spot on and even pad wear too from the Donington race.

I'd be :cry: having to start over so soon....at least you'll be able to do it blind folded after putting back together....

Cheers mate.....it's addictive...! Not too sure if this will be the last either...lol. Donington in Dec maybe.....
Mine leaked from the join between the two separate parts of the box after it had been refurbed so it was sent back and is now spot on so you might have the same problem. Could be the oil spread though, the whole underside of my car is covered in oil and the engine only lost less than 1 litre when it blew.

Yes unfortunately I think I have to send my fronts back to Alcon but I will enquire

I don't really mind to be fair it's all for silly little jobs that are just fiddly but don't cost any money to do them properly! Yes hopefully

It really is I think if the engine hadn't of blow I would of still been out doing track days! Jolly good I don't blame you :)

Mine leaked from the join between the two separate parts of the box after it had been refurbed so it was sent back and is now spot on so you might have the same problem. Could be the oil spread though, the whole underside of my car is covered in oil and the engine only lost less than 1 litre when it blew.

Didn't know the box split in two....I should think that this is where the "extra" oil is coming from then....did think that the drip on the selector had spread a bit much!!!

Anyway....taking the heat away from Clio #12...

#17 is ready and all set to go to Brands tomorrow........something's cooking in the oven too and will be coming with us......won't spoil the surprise but who ever has some will like it.......and it's not brownies this time.

Your diet sounds good Pete, I must get back to Hal...

Cheaper to put a second hand engine in than acquire and fit a new head. Over 200 quid in parts just to refit the head.

Better the devil you know sometimes though...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
not a helicoil no, a timesert or bigsert depending on how much thread material has been damaged. can be done safely in situ

What was the traffic like? I didn't get home until 20.30. Nice day in the end.

Bad until we got to the Dartford crossing, home at 19:20....after spending 2 hrs to get to Catford and back earlier in the day, all of 14 miles round trip, to pick up the HT leads from Eurocarparts. I'm glad I left the big smoke some years ago - as been said many time in the press the average speed of cars now in London is less than it was 100 years ago for horse drawn carriages , FFS!

Got a link or pic of those top mounts....Dan said (in James thread) he can do the welding - so may get done at the same time as when he Bigserts my plug hole....lol.

Clio 172
Glad you got it sorted Pete. Not done Brands for a few years, I need to get down there sometime next year, its just an absolute b*****d of a drive to get there.

Have fun boys and girl :) Hope all goes well!

LOL...keep quiet next time...:rasp:

Gutted I'm working away from home, would of been 'sick' otherwise so I could come down. :(

Day turned out good and did manage a few clear laps part way throught the PM session...not that I was timing or anything....

Not good Pete, new head is it then once your done today? Or is it salvageable?

Salvageable - though the way this enging has performed would've happliy replaced the head with another one, maybe a ported\flowed one too..will get Dan to fix...

Your diet sounds good Pete, I must get back to Hal...

Cheaper to put a second hand engine in than acquire and fit a new head. Over 200 quid in parts just to refit the head.

Better the devil you know sometimes though...

I'm seriously looking at replacing the doors now - with half a tank and the 25 -30kg weight loss the perfomance gain was really noticeable - I've not got it on video but the 10 mins I got out after fixing the plug I kept hitting the limiter in 3rd and 4th whereas before 3rd and 4th was all that was needed... Changing from 5th to 4th for paddock was\is interesting....no pressure as don't want to get that wrong...must admit I left 5th out for quite a few laps, lots of traffic and no need to really push all the time.

new engine for a stripped thread!!! PMSL over reaction much? EASY to fix

I'll call you re getting this sorted, if thats ok.

Glad you got it sorted Pete. Not done Brands for a few years, I need to get down there sometime next year, its just an absolute b*****d of a drive to get there.

Thanks Adam...so was I!! 3rd or 4th time there since March this year and this time traffic was b1tch, ok getting there though.

Sounds good Pete, did not manage ti get down due to other commitment.

Catford!! Im only in Bromley and had spare HT leads could have had mine... Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Im building up a spare box to inc plugs, coil pack, leads, injectors etc etc as replacements if anything goes wrong.... I learnt the hard way before.

Sounds good Pete, did not manage ti get down due to other commitment.

Catford!! Im only in Bromley and had spare HT leads could have had mine... Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Im building up a spare box to inc plugs, coil pack, leads, injectors etc etc as replacements if anything goes wrong.... I learnt the hard way before.

Yes Sonny my spare list - box is getting bigger every time I go out on track....

Clio 172
Thanks Adam...so was I!! 3rd or 4th time there since March this year and this time traffic was b1tch, ok getting there though.

Who's Adam? LOL its Andy and yes the only reason I don't do Brands more often is the drive.

Looks a bit damp heading up to druids, for a minute I had visions of that Honda from the TT race earlier in the year.

182cup & 172 racecar
It was a little fun to start with, but I did miss out on the really early greasey sessions,(thankfully).

Well held :)

Thanks, surprised even myself as both my hands and foot of the brake to cover accelerator (can see if you look) move with out me seeming to think about it.... weird watching it back...lol

Who's Adam? LOL its Andy and yes the only reason I don't do Brands more often is the drive.

Looks a bit damp heading up to druids, for a minute I had visions of that Honda from the TT race earlier in the year.

It was that or Dan...strange as I know you're Andy looking back at my thread...

It was a little fun to start with, but I did miss out on the really early greasey sessions,(thankfully).

I remember chatting to you - saying no one has had an off - then someone stops on the start finish straight and we then see a blue roof go slowly down Cooper straight and both say "that's Sam oh 5uck!"

Last edited:
Been messing with some final drive figures - is it as simple as this?

Got the JC5 figures from the forum. The final drive figure from the Bacci web site

Put into an excel form from gearbox man - and this is what I got...

ScreenHunter_01Nov031701.jpg

with 205mm tyre width

ScreenHunter_02Nov031717.jpg

and with the normal final drive 4.06 in and 195 tyre width

ScreenHunter_03Nov031720.jpg

Last edited:
Just received the Provisional dates for the CSCC TinTop series next year, 2013.

March 26th Snetterton – Test Day
April 13th/14th Snetterton (300/200)
May 6th Brands Hatch (Indy)
June 2nd Anglesey (Coastal)
June 14th/15th/16th Spa Franchorchamps
June 29th/30th Cadwell Park (Full)
July 13th/14th Castle Combe
August 3rd/4th Pembrey
August 24th/25th Donington Park (National)
September 21st Oulton Park (International)
October 19th Snetterton (200)