ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tips to remove wiper arms?

clio 182 FF silver
Anyone got any good tips to remove 182 wiper arms? The passenger side one has seized on the spindle and so far resisted all my efforts to remove.

Thanks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Of the tools you are likely to have to hand, getting the open end of a spanner under and jiggling it a bit can work, but obviously be careful.

Worth spraying with some pentrant spray too.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
WD40 or similar and leave to soak for a while, if the arms are similar to a MK3 then you smack the sprung hinge area fairly hard with your hand and it loosens it a lot so you can pull it off.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
A light hammer helped me the first time round, give it a bit of shock whilst pulling. Again be very careful as the glass is not far away.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I had to use a grinder on both of mine, good luck.

That is on the rear though. Never had any trouble with the fronts.

Yeah the rears can be really bad, I reckon compared to some of them you would struggle to get a better join with a welder!

Clio Trophy
i tried two weeks ago to remove mine, had no problems with the drivers side, could not get the passenger one off at all, booked in at a garage monday for them to take it off

FF Clio 182
I have removed several and they all seem to seize on that side. It's a bit off a ball ache with a proper tool so can't see much home without. Just spray it loads with fluid and hope for the best

Black Sheep
Ball joint seperator as said by mantis.

Cancel the garage booking mikey, get yourself to halfords think they are £8 or something.

Clio Trophy
I got a wiper puller? Are they not the same thing? I tried heating it, spraying it with wd40, used the spanner method, I tried just yanking it off, nothing would budge it

clio 182 FF silver
Thanks, sounds like it is a common problem. I have got a small puller somewhere but can not find, so looks like trip to halfords tomorrow.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The 2 metals fuse together. It's retarded even after all these years!

clio 172
try a battery terminal remover. Its like a small pulley remover, goes for something like 3 quid and makes a hell of a difference.

Black Sheep
I got a wiper puller? Are they not the same thing? I tried heating it, spraying it with wd40, used the spanner method, I tried just yanking it off, nothing would budge it

The ball joint seperator can apply much more force due to its simple design.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's an utter b**ch. The middle two were easy enough with a wiper arm removal tool (as others mentioned here) - but the passenger side took some effort. So much so that at one point, the removal tool was bending before it gave way.

With the bonnet up and the tool in place, sometimes lowering the arm a little helped for me. In theory, it shouldn't and simply add more tension. But I think it might straighten up the arm on the spindle ever-so-slightly - and enough to allow it to come free.

D.