ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, XBOX ONE, PS4)

Mito Sportiva 135
First reviews are out - got 9.3 on IGN (not that their scores mean much!)
Overall - very good except for the main story
Not sure I can handle a 100 hour game right now but want to buy just because the developers seem to be genuine gamers and not out for a quick buck

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Why are reviews in the gaming world so over-averaged compared to the film world for example?

The best films of all time are often about a 9/10, average ones about 6/10 - but in gaming you see 100% or 95% for good games, and then even some pretty average games get like 80%.

A game can never be 100%, there will always be areas to improve.

Mito Sportiva 135
I think a lot of the issue is that gaming is generally more emotive than films and reviewers not always as qualified/experienced. Lots of knee-jerk reactions to game scores and often external factors influencing scores...e.g. COD is generally very high (9/10) or very low (1/10) just depending on whether someone loves or hates the franchise
Some games are almost perfect of their own time (e.g. Goldeneye, Mario 64) - I think only games which you can look back at 5 years later or so fondly deserve such high scores

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I think Skyrim was the best single player game I've played, purely because of the depth and hours I ploughed into it. Was it perfect? No. But it was worth every penny of the £40 or so I paid, so maybe that demands some of the overall score %?

Uncharted 2, again, brilliant. But it could have been improved. All subjective to different people too.

This does look bloody good mind.

Can't wait for this. Nearly bought Hardline or Project Cars but held out for this, uni assignment due Thursday then after that I have time to delve into a new game. Really enjoyed dragon age so hoping for something similar.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Hmm, after watching that, I'm not sure....

....whether to get a digital download or a hard copy

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Why is it £40+ on console and about £30 on PC?

Well, there's a thread about a rumoured graphical downgrade over at NeoGAF, which the devs have issued a "neither confirm or deny" statement about.

ozAzLD2.jpg

admvLGj.jpg

Developer Insider: "The Witcher 3 Was Downgraded" - CLICK HERE

NeoGAF Discussion Thread (it's long) - CLICK HERE

Honda. Tesla Someday
They did release a statement regarding the nerfed graphics. I believe it was due to both consoles being weak and they simply did not have the man power to make a seperate uber epic PC version... Sucks!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone started playing this yet? My local Game is doing a midnight launch, I've never been to one before, but I drove past one for GTA V when it came out and it was ridiculous.

Think the queue for this at a midnight launch would be long? I haven't pre-orded and would like to play it tomorrow, tempted to have a gander. Doesn't strike me as a mainstream game, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I'm having a bash now, the movement feels very much like Dark Souls? Haven't played any previous Witcher games

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Crossbow is a bit tricky. At times I was locking onto enemies easy, other times it wasn't letting me. Also had a glitch that told me I was at the end of the world and that I had to turn back, had to restart what I was doing.

Other than a couple of small niggles, I am loving it.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok developer has now confirmed that it was NOT downgraded due to consoles! Each version was made independently.

Evo 5 RS
They removed quite a lot including building and ground tessellation. If you play it though and see the game in motion, it still looks pretty amazing.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Early impressions? Visually stunning, by console standards possibly raising the bar, perhaps the best looking console game made to date.

It's taking a little while to get used to, I didn't start on the recommended difficulty, I went a bit higher because I like a challenge. The controls are a little jerky, I'm not a huge fan of the way the player moves, but again I think that's just getting used to it.

Opening sequence was epic, voice acting seems very good.

One complaint, these displays you use for changing weapon where you point your analog stick in the direction of the bit you want on the circle, it works well when you use north, north west, east, east west and so on, but as games try and incorporate more and more into this type of menu it becomes a bit chaotic.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
How are people finding the combat? I've not played previous Witcher's but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the combat, and it's taking me ages to get used to it, you can only lock on at short distance, you can't really take on large groups at a time, so you need to try and aggro one or two, but you can't because you need to get so close to lock on. It's kinda taking the Dark Souls approach, but the combat seems much more erratic.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
As soon as I got on the horse I immediately felt RDR - and that's a good thing. Also, I know this is such a small and arguably pointless point, but the mini map is brilliant. Doesn't look out of place or washed out, it's very detailed and crisp.

I'm only maybe 15 minutes in so I'm not sure if I've got to the prologue yet (which is the area you should absolutely RINSE prior to taking on any quests or main battles - picking up ability points, recipes, potions and crafting menus). I've completed the fighting and running tasks with Ciri in the dream, and then travelled to the Inn after helping the caravan salesman, Bren. I saved it when I got there so I've got a LOT to do still 😂

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Picking up loot from enemies is a bit glitchy, sometimes you have to be standing at a certain angle for the option to become available or you have to wait a second or two.

I'm currently doing the baron mission where I have to find his wife. Them botchlings are horrible lol

My game won't get past the first screen, played it for a while yesterday now trying to get back on and it's stuck!

Edit: if it happens to you, turn the console off at the plug and then it should be fine.

Last edited:

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Picking up loot from enemies is a bit glitchy, sometimes you have to be standing at a certain angle for the option to become available or you have to wait a second or two.

I'm currently doing the baron mission where I have to find his wife. Them botchlings are horrible lol
It's not just loot from enemies, seems to be all X interactions (not sure what that is on Xbox, A maybe?) Like igniting flames, or getting on the horse, you always have to get into certain positions/angles - fast travel posts too.

I'm starting to get used to it now and progressing better.