ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The White ph1 172 track car. Epic content!

Trafic 140dci
Really? was it icy? or do you have a monster invisible supercharger?!?!?!

Yes. No was very warm but the tyres were cold as i'd only done about half a mile & i may also be hiding something from CS....

Chris and Gray you were both right :) I had no idea they came with an alignment tool, so was very happy when i saw it in the box.

As soon as it came today i set about changing it, i also had my shiney swager arrive ;)

download11.jpg

Wipped the old clutch off, although upon inspection it looked in very good condition, no signs of wear, which surprised me as the bite point was very high?

download10.jpg

download9.jpg

I then put the new clutch on using the alignment tool supplied.

download8.jpg

Once on i decided to try my old box on to see if it all fits ok, which it did :) Makes my engine look clean too...

download7.jpg

I had this come with the clutch kit, there is a set of instructions that looks like it goes on between the clutch and flywheel, but there wasn't one on before, so i left it off untill i hear otherwise off CS?

download6.jpg

download5.jpg

After i'd done this i wanted something else to do, so got all my hoses on the engine :D

download-1.jpg

Then i decided to clean the car a bit more, so got under the bonnet nice and shiney.
Before (only picture i could find)

IMG_1968.jpg

After

download4.jpg

Cleaned under the archs, before:

download3.jpg

After, not spotless, but a lot better than it was :)

download2.jpg

Gearbox should be here tomorrow, have the day off work, so will get as far as to paint it, get it back on the engine and refit starter motor, then Saturday morning i have dmallett coming round to help me drop the lump back in :)

Trafic 140dci
Hopefully it will be pure happiness and trackdays from now on :D evening snetterton sessions have caught my eye!
Me too, i've gone over everything now since owning it lol. Yeah you were saying before, but tbh I'm saving my self for Marham then maybe one more before Nurburgring, got lots of bills etc :(

Trafic 140dci
Thanks mate, Gearbox has just arrived at my Grandparents, will pick it up later tonight, and engine will definitely be back in tomorrow :D

Trafic 140dci
Got the gearbox back to mine at 7:30 tonight, so only had time to give it a quick coat of Silver VHT, will pop it on the engine in the morning before Dan gets here :) Was also happy to see it came with all the bracketry, mounts and sensors, one less thing to put on off my old box :)

As it came:

download-2.jpg

Masked up:

download1-1.jpg

And sprayed, will take masking tape off in morning :) Also you can see the difference as it's next to my old box, silver VHT makes such a difference.

download3-1.jpg

Busy day tomorrow, can't wait to see the end result :D

Looks great Lewis :) Really sorry to hear about the gearbox playing up again! I stand to my previous comments, you really don't hang around ;) Big respect for taking it all apart yourself without any experience of doing it

172 cup, Impreza P1
How are you going to cure the VHT paint on the gearbox? It will not get hot enough in normal use.

Looking good by the way! :cool:

Trafic 140dci
It'll be fine ;)

Was out at 8am today, first job was to get the gearbox onto the engine and starter motor fitted.

download4-1.jpg

download11-1.jpg

I then got on dropping it back in when Dan arrived at just the right time to help out, we both set about getting the engine back in, here is a picture from half way through.

download5-1.jpg

all was going fairly smoothly untill i put the coolant temp sensor back in and it snapped, luckily Dan got the broken bit out of the thermostat housing, so just needed a new sensor. I then realized DannyR was at TDF today, so got on the phone to him and he got one off Matt for me :D So the plan is Dan is getting it off Danny tomorrow and then we'll be fitting it to my car :) Here is what was left of the temp sensor.

download9-1.jpg

We carried on getting everything back on and this was the end result. Albeit a bit grubby but i'll clean that up in the morning whilst i'm hanging....

download8-1.jpg

download7-1.jpg

download6-1.jpg

Dan should then be round in the afternoon with the sensor and job should be a good'n :D

Did have a bit of difficulty trying to fire it up, turns out i'd forgot to put the copper earth on the gearbox :eek: Got that on and she fired up! Although it was running rich due to the ECU thinking it was -25! But least i know it's running, gearbox feels strong, look forward to the road test tomorrow :)

Big thanks to Dan (dmallett) for the help today, wouldn't of got it done without you :D

Trafic 140dci
It's been a good day today, Dan arrived this morning with my CTS, got that on and car fired up and was running spot on, connected it upto the laptop, temp sensor was reading, checked my TPS, that was fine. So then it was the moment of truth, would the new clutch & box work?

Got in the car put it into reverse, and took it to the end of the drive, put it into first and it was all good :D Once that was done, i bled the steering, let it run untill the coolant went through, topped it up and i was done :D

I then fitted the new 12v socket (cigarette lighter) that i got last weekend, this involved re-wiring the original plug in as it had some after market job wired in.

Then popped over to Rich's (Liquid Yellow 182) gave the car and wash and went and got some pictures which are here:

P1010135.jpg

P1010136.jpg

P1010138.jpg

P1010139.jpg

P1010140.jpg

P1010142.jpg

P1010144.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P1010156.jpg

P1010157.jpg

P1010161.jpg

P1010162.jpg

P1010163.jpg

P1010164.jpg

P1010165.jpg

P1010169.jpg

Had a really good day, the new box is very strong, car was driving lovely today really happy with it.

Big thanks to Dan and DannyR for all the help today and yesterday :)

ITB 428 Ph1
You have certainly worked hard and quickly to get all this done in such a short space of time. It really shows buddy, well done the car looks brand new, I'm glad it's running sweet too

Trafic 140dci
Thanks for all the good comments, it's really coming together now and I'm very happy with it. I've promised myself this weekend off from working on the car, need to enjoy it now :)Although watch this space, still loads more bits to be done, and should be picking up more goodies this weekend :)

Whats next?

So happy its back to health, always happy to help :) I understand having some off time, gets over whelming spending every weekend working on cars. Was nice to work on something else apart from my shed for once!

Trafic 140dci
Thanks mate you help was appreciated :)

Next? Well I'd like a more comfy/supportive drivers seat before nurburgring, would also like to rig up some brake ducts, a better rad fan and a de-mister for the windscreen.

In the future my wish list is.... I'd like a race dash, polycard windows, alloy bonnet, ditch the rear wheel well for flat 182 floor pan, cut down excess metal inside the car, get some seat rails welded in, would like to ditch the delta mic front spacers for something a little bit lighter with studs and nuts.

I have a target weight of 900kg it was 960kg when I got it, lost at least 10-20kg already so getting there :)

Need to get the weekend and night work in now, to generate the needed cash ;)

Last edited:
  Audi A5
Brilliant car mate, I just read through the hole thread and couldn't stop, really good progress keep it up!

Thanks mate you help was appreciated :)

Next? Well I'd like a more comfy/supportive drivers seat before nurburgring, would also like to rig up some brake ducts, a better rad fan and a de-mister for the windscreen.

In the future my wish list is.... I'd like a race dash, polycard windows, alloy bonnet, ditch the rear wheel well for flat 182 floor pan, cut down excess metal inside the car, get some seat rails welded in, would like to ditch the delta mic front spacers for something a little bit lighter with studs and nuts.

Need to get the weekend and night work in now, to generate the needed cash ;)

I forgot to bring the stainless brake deflectors 2 days in a row!! :(
To be honest the plans sound good, fingers crossed you will hit that desired figure!The delta mic spacers are proper heavy, plus with rotational mass etc lol.

Trafic 140dci
Cheers for the comments, sadly had the day off work today, but used this time off to clear my garage out, as a few will confirm who have been round, you can't even get in it let alone the car!

So 4 hours later, 4 bins full of rubbish i'm left with this...

download2-1.jpg

Everything is stacked so i can get to what i need too, and what i don't need is burried. I measured it all the car would fit in with about 200mm of space in length, between the white shelves and box's on the other side i have no more than 50mm of space, the car will only also fit in if it is reversed in. So the moment of truth came would it fit!? Well reversed down my drive and it went strait in, didn't hit a thing!

download-3.jpg

I could really do with either some more permanent shelves at the back of the garage, or a tool shed at the bottom of my garden, as being a carpenter i have so many different tools! But the house is rented and i don't fancy doing all that and get given a months notice again :/

d5n

RB 182 FF
Looking good Lewis that last pic looks class.
Hopefully get to see the car and you at Snetterton sometime this year as i will be booking myself some trackdays in the next few months.

Trafic 140dci
Had a nice little drive today..

First stop Dom in Ipswich to pick up his EC1 he's sold me, and to be honest i'm happier than i expected to be as it's come with a brand new wiring harness & brand new M8 coolant temp sensor (which is also annoying as i needed one last weekend) but will keep this as a spare. This will be going in a draw and forgotten about for probably 6 months or so untill i can afford a Race Logic Dash & complete re-wire removing standard ECU, all to be done by Matt.

Second was Dan in Stowmarket to pick up some stainless steel air deflector's for my brake ducts, but spent a while chatting about the plans for the Nurburgring.

Then it was off to Rhys in Haverhill to pick up a Pacet 12 inch rad fan, again spent a while chatting about Nurburgring etc.

Final stop was to DannyR's in Bury to see the Rotrex beast.... and luckily for him he needed a rad fan, so i quickly fitted my new Pacet fan, then give him my old cheapy fan to help out, but was very happy to see the Pacet fan working, and it is so much more powerful than the cheap one was so very happy with that.

So a busy day with around 200 miles covered, very much loving my car, but really want a new drivers seat!

ph1 172
Good to see you today Lewis

Really glad to hear the fan is doing the job better now and sounded nice and easy to fit?

Your car sounded superb through the village with the sound bouncing off the houses:approve:

Oh and thanks to you talking about alloy bonnets for ph1's not only when you left did I go and buy a ph1 but then found an alloy bonnet on ebay so I bought that aswell;)