ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Retro Gaming Thread

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Who was that little c**t on the master system who would swim everywhere?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Alex the Kidd in Miracle World?

He was most certainly a c**t.

I picked up my gameboy from home the other day. Addicted to tetris and prince of persia already. Got some funny looks with it on the tube this morning.
Thats the one!

Clio
Mine! Mine! Mine! No! No! No! Not you, you stupid little s**t! The one facing the other way.

As Lemming after Lemming then falls into a death of lava.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sprite masking for collision detection, that's where it's at...
...I still think head over heels is one of the best games ever designed. And games like bombjack.
Ah, the good old days! Sprite masks, XOR pixel logic ops and many other techniques that are simply lost on the poor excuses for programmers that I see today (that maybe a bit harsh, but finding a decent coder is f**king tough these days!)

Don't forget Wizball too.... :smile:
Don't forget you can play HOH and Wizball on PC... just sayin'... :) http://retrospec.sgn.net/

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Ah, the good old days! Sprite masks, XOR pixel logic ops and many other techniques that are simply lost on the poor excuses for programmers that I see today (that maybe a bit harsh, but finding a decent coder is f**king tough these days!)

Don't forget you can play HOH and Wizball on PC... just sayin'... :) http://retrospec.sgn.net/

Yeah, all the old techniques. Very few programmers outside of our generation will be familiar with them, hardware scrolling, mode x, etc.

If you never programmed a speccy, bbc, Amiga or whatever...then you missed out.

Its part of the reason that I enjoy doing embedded software so much (I think we've been over this before) because its essentially just like the old days but with f**k off powerful processors.

I forgot the daddy of all games, ghost n goblins. Just a stunning piece of work, not only did it look great, it sounded great, it played great it was hard as f**k.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, all the old techniques. Very few programmers outside of our generation will be familiar with them, hardware scrolling, mode x, etc.

If you never programmed a speccy, bbc, Amiga or whatever...then you missed out.

Its part of the reason that I enjoy doing embedded software so much (I think we've been over this before) because its essentially just like the old days but with f**k off powerful processors.

I forgot the daddy of all games, ghost n goblins. Just a stunning piece of work, not only did it look great, it sounded great, it played great it was hard as f**k.
Yes, we've bemoaned the state of modern day 'software engineering' in other threads :) Whilst I enjoy the new coding opportunities modern day technology and programming languages bring, I don't half miss the 'good old days' (and they were). :)

Ghosts 'n' Goblins. Jeez. The amount of 10p's I threw into that game doesn't bear thinking about. Especially considering how much of a b**tard it was to progress to the next level! Definitely one of the classic platformers with an iconic soundtrack :) Well, to retro gamers at least.

I quite like this site (although it may / may not work depending on whether or not you allow Java / plugins to run with your browser)...

http://www.80stopgames.com/

There's one or two games on there to choose from...

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I found my abrash book the other day, it was hiding in plain sight on the bookshelf. I swear it wasn't there last time I looked for it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Curiosity got the better of me, watcom c is open source now...tempted to create a freedos virtual machine and have a play!

A4 Avant & A3
I'm back on youtube looking again!...
Haven't seen Pajamarama mentioned!. spent many an hour playing this on my old rubber key'd spectrum 48k,
gutted i'm in the office, I can't switch the volume up!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't even got as far as installing anything! lol I kinda fancy writing a good old platformer.
Yeah, I agree; there's a certain appeal to that. In fact, if I had the time, I'd probably join you! :smile:

I'm tempted to take a look at the latest versions of Unity3D, Unreal Engine, etc. at some point and see how well-suited they would be for creating a simple and solid platformer. My only concerns would be that a) they are perhaps 'too-much' for a simple platformer and b) half the fun is in developing the tech from scratch. Hmm. I can't help it if I enjoy reinventing the wheel time and time again... :tongueout:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As mentioned above, I was fortunate enough to work with / for the Oliver Twins many years ago. They have recently been making "Let's Play" videos whereby they revisit their old games (like Dizzy) and explain the thinking behind them, the design elements and so forth. If you are interested in these guys and/or their old games then they are worth a quick watch. Not that I'm biased... :tonguewink: Here's a selection.