ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

se8erygy.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Annoyingly Dirt3 isn't remembering my settings so I have to go and manually set everything back to max again every time I start it. :mad:

Still coping well with the weather though.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2605495

:)
Wrapped up in a Fractal Design Define XL Case complete with a side-panel window that I managed to cut into it myself (just to put into perspective how difficult it was, here's a video of the case being shot with a 12ga shotgun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_SNhi7-UWQ )
Hooked up to a BenQ XL2411T 24" 120/144Hz(nvidia3D) monitor
Connected to a Filco MajesTouch 2 10-keyless Keyboard w/Cherry MX Browns, Steel Series Sensei Mouse, Corsair HS1 USB Headset and some beefy Corsair SP-2500 Speakers :D

Now my money has been going on driving related stuff, my car, and now towards a new car! (RS 1*2)
Maybe BF4 will make me get another EVGA 670 FTW and have some SLi up in this b**ch ;)

Evo 5 RS
Thought this was pretty cool. Cloud rendering seems to be the in thing. Not sure if it'll really take off though.

nvidia-cloudlight,K-M-394726-13.png
Nvidia has introduced a new a system for [FONT=inherit !important]computing
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cloud-Light-Voxel-Irradiance-Map-Photons-Rendering,23718.html# indirect lighting in the cloud to support real-time rendering on a user's local device. Called CloudLight, the abstract was thrown up on the research portion of Nvidia's website sometime in July, written by Cyril Crassin, David Luebke, Michael Mara and five other Nvidia employees.
[/FONT]

"CloudLight maps the traditional graphics pipeline onto a distributed system," the company states. "That differs from a single-machine renderer in three fundamental ways. First, the mapping introduces potential asymmetry between computational resources available at the Cloud and local device sides of the pipeline. Second, compared to a hardware memory bus, [FONT=inherit !important]the networkhttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cloud-Light-Voxel-Irradiance-Map-Photons-Rendering,23718.html# introduces relatively large latency and low bandwidth between certain pipeline stages. Third, for multi-user virtual environments, a Cloud solution can amortize expensive global illumination costs across users."[/FONT]
Nvidia said the new framework explores tradeoffs in different partitions of the global illumination workload between cloud and local devices, and how available network and computational power influence design decisions and image quality. The ten-page technical report, released here in PDF form, describes the tradeoffs and characteristics of mapping three known lighting algorithms – Voxel, Irradiance Map and Photon -- to Nvidia's system. It also demonstrates scaling up to 50 simultaneous CloudLight users.
For the voxel approach, the system will voxelize scene geometry offline or dynamically, inject light into and filter the sparce voxel grid, trace cones through the grid to propagate lighting, use cone traced results to generate fully-illuminated frames, encode each frame with H.264 and send to the appropriate client, and decode H.264 on the client and display the frame. Thus, everything is rendered in the cloud, encoded with H.264 to save bandwidth, and decoded on a tablet or something smaller.
The irradiance map system generates global [FONT=inherit !important]unique texture parameterization offline, and cluster texels into basis functions offline. The system then gathers indirect light at each basis function (or texel), reconstructs per-texel irradiance from basis functions, encodes irradiance maps to H.264, and transmits to maps to the client. The data is then decoded on the client and the direct light is rendered; indirect light uses irradiance light. Nvidiaused a notebook in this scenario, with the final frame rendering taking place on the device.[/FONT]
Finally there's photons. The photon map implementation traces photons using a cloud-based ray tracer. It then transfers a bit-packed encoding of photons to clients; old photon packets on the client are expired and replaced with new ones. Photons are scattered into the [FONT=inherit !important]client's viewhttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cloud-Light-Voxel-Irradiance-Map-Photons-Rendering,23718.html# to accumulate indirect light, and the system sums indirect light with locally-computed direct illumination. Photon reconstruction requires a powerful client, the company said, hence Nvidia's use of a desktop PC as an example for photon maps.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^ Certainly an interesting idea and I like the potential solutions it could offer in terms of amortizing expensive computational costs across multiple users.

Evo 5 RS
Additional information has suggested that NVIDIA will be releasing the GeForce GTX 800 series ‘Maxwell’ graphics cards sometime in Q1 2014

This is more likely to be true, if they release a completely unlocked 110 this side of Christmas, and then release Maxwell, then it's the shortest lived card in history. There will be a 790, but I think that'll be it.

Not a 320d
I need to air gun mine just to blow the dust out without coughing my lungs up.
BTW Toby did you buy that chair in the end from your thread?

- The Staples Microfibre one? £120?

Bought this morning. Hopefully be here tomorrow or day after.

Still to buy a desk. And the internet. Virgin are useless f*****s.

- The Staples Microfibre one? £120?

Bought this morning. Hopefully be here tomorrow or day after.

Still to buy a desk. And the internet. Virgin are useless f**kers.

Thats it yeh, Let me know how it is.
I got my new desk so should be putting it up tomorrow, Its like 4.5M long for both computers (doing homeworking same as you)

So just seen a massaging chair that looked sick.

Thats what desk I've got in work dimensions wise anyway. but at home my room is a square so my desk can only be 1.4ft deep other wise I'll have no room to roll on my chair haha. I assume work gave you your probook?!

They gave me a normal computer but its 10 times better than the s**t in the actual call center (dual core pentiums with 1gb ram) They barely run the systems haha.

Im moving this month now so got to get my room all sorted before I start on the 24th this month. Excite!

Not a 320d
Yeah it was like £1700. Not too shabby really. Wanted a desktop but the people who look after the printers and computers and s**t wont let us have them.

​Really dont know if ill like WFH!!

I wish my work gave me a probook lol. You would get used to it pretty quick.

Can't wait till I start this homeworking, Put a couple of quid to one side for Holiday and a car then once thats done.
My computer will be getting a massive refresh! Planned is a GTX 770 4GB (only £50 more than the 2gb so no brainer) a newer MB with bigger Ram capacity then a new monitor and a couple of HDD and an SSD.

Not a 320d
Yer but major drawbacks. No social contact. Ive got a diesel BMW sat in a communal parking basement doing zero miles (Unless I take it out for a run to the supermarket). I'm in my usual indecisive mindset on whether or not to hand the BMW back and either get something cheap to save money for another place we can rent out or get something quicker and petrol.

In a way (for me anyway) It would be more social contact. It takes me 45 mins roughly to get to work, so that gives me an hour and a half to do more in that day.

So wake up a bit later and can actually go out at 6 instead of waiting till I get home from work.
Can't wait to start, sell the clio and have some money for a change lol

Not a 320d
\ok its good.

very comfy. Doesnt make me think holy s**t, this is amazing. But it makes me think yeah this was worth the money.

Cleaning the jizz off it might be a problem so investing in some gtechniq fabric sealant.

Its really warm too with it being the fabric it is which could be a problem. Dont know how it will wear yet but i have heard reports of it being pretty s**t after a couple of years. Think ill invest in something rather expensive in a few years once this is fucked......

Evo 5 RS
I ordered the Ivybridge-E CPU off Overclockers this morning. Had a shipping confirmation and everything. They've since taken it off the site and said they can't ship till the product is available. So close...they would of broken NDA as well and been in a world of s**t!