ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The noise from my K-Tec Stealth...

'02 MG TF160
Okay, so i've got a good 1000 miles on my Stealth now so its bedded in and coked up like a good 'un.

The noise it makes it awesome, nice and bassy, with a wicked rasp when it runs through the revs. Not too noisy either, just sporty enough.

The problem i have is that there is a metallic resonance, quite high pitched, at a certain rev range, which just happens to coincide with driving at 30-35mph.

This is really annoying, so i'm just wondering if this is the case with all Stealths (its the new one), or if not, is there anything i can do about it?

i'm thinking about taking the car down to Hayward and Scott, as they're just down the road from me, and see if they can do anything....

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mine resonates at 3k very noticeably, and less so at 2k and 4k - I quite like it :approve:

Any higher than that and I'm normally full throttle so it's rasping away anyway.

Clio 172 Mk2
had mine re-fitted last night. took it for a proper blast today, god i absolutely love it, the sound is so sporty and raspy!! spent about 2 hours fitting it making sure it hangs perfectly. Can't see it at all from the back now!! I do know what you mean about that slight noise around 3-4k but i think its just how it is. Brill exhaust

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Check the heatshields. We recently had a car in with a noisy centre and it turned out that the exhaust was fitted too close to one of the heatshields.

David.

'02 MG TF160
Thanks David, i'll have a look tomorrow. To be honest its not even close to being enough to put me off the exhaust - the noise is just awesome!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
it sounds like someone blowing into a bottle ;)

Thats not the heat sheilds

'02 MG TF160
Sometime this weekend i'm going to take a video of my car from the inside, windows down, redlining through the gears, and i'll stick it up on Pistonheads.tv

Then everyone can have a good idea of what it sounds like...

172 CUP
my ktec is only slightly noisier

don't really notice it when driving normal

under full load its louder but not much

certainly doesn't drown you out like some loud exhaust

(mine on a 172 cup) with std cat etc..

just CAT back system

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
The stealth is one of the quietest systems available for the 172 but still makes the right noise under acceleration.

If anyone is unsure about the noise prior to purchasing one they are more than welcome and take our standard Clio 172 down the road which has the system fitted.

David.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The stealth is one of the quietest systems available for the 172 but still makes the right noise under acceleration.

If anyone is unsure about the noise prior to purchasing one they are more than welcome and take our standard Clio 172 down the road which has the system fitted.

David.

Hmmmmmm Mine was loud, ok if pootling about. My mate reckoned it sounded like jason plato balls out around oulton park on a drive by!

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I have the stealth system from cat back. Recently fitted new front and middle exhaust mounts , genuine Renault and not sure if it's my imagination but seems boomier noise on motorways. My passenger on the 300 mile drive to Scotland got a bit pissed off with the noise.

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
had mine re-fitted last night. took it for a proper blast today, god i absolutely love it, the sound is so sporty and raspy!! spent about 2 hours fitting it making sure it hangs perfectly. Can't see it at all from the back now!! I do know what you mean about that slight noise around 3-4k but i think its just how it is. Brill exhaust
Any chance of pics underneath mate? On my 172 cup it drones at around 3000 to 4000rpm which is annoying at motorway speeds. Under that and it's acceptable but I know the tip is visible

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
Despite only fitting a new rear exhaust hanger less an 2k miles ago, the £9 one from eBay was split. No wonder it was noisy, was sitting on the alumium hanger and resonating through bodyshell. Fitted a new genuine renault one £14 from eBay. Much better now .
image.jpeg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Any chance of pics underneath mate? On my 172 cup it drones at around 3000 to 4000rpm which is annoying at motorway speeds. Under that and it's acceptable but I know the tip is visible

That was from 2007 bud.

My rear mount lasted 2 months. Is vibrating on idle now. So annoying. Going to make my own mount soon.

Have you seen the powerflex inserts for these? Or @levaz ones that he does? They look very good imo.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I charge £35 delivered for those.
They come either blank for you to drill your own hole (to suit box height) or i can drill a hole centrally for you

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
They're much stronger than the oem ones lol.
Been running mine for nearly 2 years now after doing 2 genuine renault ones in 9 weeks!