ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Fatty's KTEC alternative induction setup that works just as well!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Yeah I've had the clip on & off, up & down, every way. I can't force it in without bending the mesh inside the filter. Seems ridiculously tight tbh. Just getting defeated at the mo
right firstly you battery is way too far forward! So move that back as far as possible.

if the pipe is being a pain to get into the filter, put some oil / grease on the inside of the rubber collar. It should then just slide in nice and easy. Also make sure the rubber on the filter isn't stone cold! Check you havent bend / damaged the cage inside the filter as it looks bent to hell on one of those pictures! Also the jubilee clip looks too tight!

A note to all of you that haven't fitted it yet: MAKE SURE you DO NOT squeeze the filter on the foam area! You have to grip it around the rubber base only!! If you try and force it on the pipe by doing this you will damage the mesh cage inside, which then might end up in your engine!!

Arctic 182
Right guys; first off apologies for that terrible swearing post earlier, I had the hump & it wasn't going well. As mentioned my battery was the main issue, I undone the bracket, pushed it back a bit & hey presto enough space.

That filter neck fitting in that pipe though, Jesus it's tight. Must have been an odd one. Hope others fit on ok. I didn't try lube, I tried shaving some rubber off the edge to no avail.

I eventually cut a split in the neck & forced the pipe in. The jubilee clip was pants & kept popping off so used cable ties on the neck & also to hold it in position.

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong! A 15 min job turned into 2 hours, I've got multiple cuts on my hands, my new pipe is scratched to f**k, filter is bent & my iPhone is damaged too! But it's on! Taking it for a drive soon.

Arctic 182
@The Fatty
Yeah it is quite bent inside mate, do you think it will be ok? Nothing looked like it snapped off & I tried to push it back to how it was. Jubilee clip didn't seem to work in the end, just used cable ties.
Depending on your answer, I might even put the original air box back on & get another filter for it before using it.

@The Fatty
Yeah it is quite bent inside mate, do you think it will be ok? Nothing looked like it snapped off & I tried to push it back to how it was. Jubilee clip didn't seem to work in the end, just used cable ties.
Your filter will be fine as long as it is still held snuggly enough by the clip/hose, that it won't fall out the hose. I've got the Ktec kit and the previous owner overtightened the jubilee and squashed the 'neck' of the filter in a bit. I just bent it back into shape as much as I could. The only problem is if the filter falls out the hose and given the tight space and assuming everything else is secured reasonably well enough that's not going to happen. As long as there's no rips/tears in the filter material that covers the cage, then you're good to go.

Thousands of miles, cams and a custom remap later and it's still 100% fine.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
@The Fatty
Depending on your answer, I might even put the original air box back on & get another filter for it before using it.
Make sure the top area of the cage is still all ok. Its normally a 1 to 2 inch wide bit of mesh that folds over the cylinder bit of mesh and the gets secured. provided its still in place and secure, it should be ok. if its loose, don't use the filter until you secure it again.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Right guys; first off apologies for that terrible swearing post earlier, I had the hump & it wasn't going well. As mentioned my battery was the main issue, I undone the bracket, pushed it back a bit & hey presto enough space.

That filter neck fitting in that pipe though, Jesus it's tight. Must have been an odd one. Hope others fit on ok. I didn't try lube, I tried shaving some rubber off the edge to no avail.

I eventually cut a split in the neck & forced the pipe in. The jubilee clip was pants & kept popping off so used cable ties on the neck & also to hold it in position.

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong! A 15 min job turned into 2 hours, I've got multiple cuts on my hands, my new pipe is scratched to f**k, filter is bent & my iPhone is damaged too! But it's on! Taking it for a drive soon.
At least you didnt give up :) not sure about the cutting of the filter, you sure there's not a leak now?

Arctic 182
@chaski @The Fatty
Thanks for the advice guys, just been out for a quick blast with @levaz & it seemed ok. Definitely an increase in noise, & not sure if placebo but seemed quicker. Will post a better review once I've driven more & gotten over fitting it lol.

At least you didnt give up :) not sure about the cutting of the filter, you sure there's not a leak now?

Didn't seem like it mate, it was only a vertical slice in the first part of the neck to open it up more. Will probably get another one tbh, maybe even a new pipe as mine is scratched! Call today a test fitting lol.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
@chaski @The Fatty
Thanks for the advice guys, just been out for a quick blast with @levaz & it seemed ok. Definitely an increase in noise, & not sure if placebo but seemed quicker. Will post a better review once I've driven more & gotten over fitting it lol.

Didn't seem like it mate, it was only a vertical slice in the first part of the neck to open it up more. Will probably get another one tbh, maybe even a new pipe as mine is scratched! Call today a test fitting lol.
those scratches should polish out with some metal polish.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Anyone know what the widest diameter air feed hose you can fit into where the acoustic valve pipe currently sits?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Mine arrived. Havent had a chance yet to try it as im still at work. I did try to fit the pipe into the filter and yes it is a bit tight. I got it on without problems though.

probably wont be able to do this in situ in the engine bay but it you hold the pipe at 45' to the filter and jiggle it in, it goes in pretty easy.

loads of dust and crap was in the pipe by the way, going to wash mine out later.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Anyone know what the widest diameter air feed hose you can fit into where the acoustic valve pipe currently sits?
Im pretty sure ive seen cold air feeds going from the fog light hole , would probably guess the same diameter as the fog light hole.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Mine arrived. Havent had a chance yet to try it as im still at work. I did try to fit the pipe into the filter and yes it is a bit tight. I got it on without problems though.

probably wont be able to do this in situ in the engine bay but it you hold the pipe at 45' to the filter and jiggle it in, it goes in pretty easy.

loads of dust and crap was in the pipe by the way, going to wash mine out later.
wonder if they are digging these out of an old warehouse?! Could explain why they are tight (i.e. an old batch that wasnt quite right)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
forgot to say if you need to stretch the filter hole a little you could use the bottom of a glass or cup. I have left mine stretching a little, hopefully when i get back it will be ready to slide in.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
forgot to say if you need to stretch the filter hole a little you could use the bottom of a glass or cup. I have left mine stretching a little, hopefully when i get back it will be ready to slide in.
did you try putting some grease/oil around the inside of the rubber?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Boom

591F9000-0263-4E92-AF83-2AEACEED0AF9_zps1ebda229.gif

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Just remember... MAKE SURE you DO NOT squeeze the filter on the foam area! You have to grip it around the rubber base only!! If you try and force it on the pipe by doing this you will damage the mesh cage inside, which then might end up in your engine!! :)

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Pipe turned up yesterday! Finished work at midday so decided to give fitting it a bash, took all of about 10mins I reckon.

Old setup that was on the car when I bought it...lol

15546541177_9ec29ac2ec_z.jpg
IMAG1103 by terryclarke13, on Flickr

Mahoosive sponge cake like filter removed along with the never ending cold air feed

15546540367_8d5bfb8c25_z.jpg
IMAG1105 by terryclarke13, on Flickr

15729805581_38d87157bf_z.jpg
IMAG1104 by terryclarke13, on Flickr

New filter and pipe in place

15546539977_9e302d3296_z.jpg
IMAG1108 by terryclarke13, on Flickr

Tight squeeze! Instead of using cable ties to pull it into place I cut down a piece of pipe insulation and wedged it down there for now. No rattles on the short test drive around the block.

15545845419_336277d6ed_z.jpg
IMAG1110 by terryclarke13, on Flickr

15111759934_cb66637701_z.jpg
IMAG1109 by terryclarke13, on Flickr

Thanks to The Fatty for putting the op together.