ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test Drove the 197

Good choice. I was of the similar thinking of you when I first drove a 197, back in November/December 2006. Then a while later I saw a R27 in a local dealership and thought "hmmm I really must give the 197 another try..." A couple of months later I ordered one and haven't regretted it one bit. I thought my 182 was a superb car. But my R27 is a superb package.

Renaultsport 200
You have done the right think mate. I have had mine 12 months now and hand on heart it is a different car from when I picked it up. I got it on 4k and there is now 12.5k on it after 12 months. It picks up better, it's less tight, it more economical and it sounds better. You will have to work the box but that shouldn't be to alien to you coming from another NA RS. I find 1st and 2nd gear pretty brutal tbh and once it's moving it just pulls and pulls right through to 6th gear.

I still look forward to getting in mine and driving it, even when I have to do normal sh1tty journeys. I love it to be honest.

Just remember though, it truly is a PIG to drive when it's cold, and it may bounce out of junctions and make you look like a right d1ck!

Black 197
Do you think it would of had that remap done by Renault if its on a 57 plate ? heard there was a map by Renault to improve cold running... I always let my cars warm upbefore driving them anyway so hope it dont affect me too much

That software upgrade is toss, it made no difference to mine.
As you say, warm her up first.
I've had 4 RS CLio's previously in many guises and the 197 is just as fast but feels more grown up (but still fun).

Clio 197 08
I always let my cars warm upbefore driving them anyway so hope it dont affect me too much

I always let my car warm up before i drive it away! It then doesnt have problems with the Kangerooing!! You notice it on the odd occasion when you drive away before it warm and then they are pretty bad!

Clio 197 08
Definately mate, keep your eye open for a lakeside meet! Depends how far you want to travel! You getting your motor Wednesday morning?

Renaultsport 200
Do you think it would of had that remap done by Renault if its on a 57 plate ? heard there was a map by Renault to improve cold running... I always let my cars warm upbefore driving them anyway so hope it dont affect me too much

I have had the map, but tbh before I had it I sorta learned how to control it. It does work and it does make the car a little smoother when cold though.

I wouldn't bother going out of your way to get it though. Let your car warm up a bit and you will be fine! Only give it the beans 5 or 10 minutes after setting off though. The car runs on different parameters when you start it, then it changes and that is when the power is available. I think it is an emmisions thing tbh when you first start it up.

Renaultsport 200
That software upgrade is toss, it made no difference to mine.
As you say, warm her up first.
I've had 4 RS CLio's previously in many guises and the 197 is just as fast but feels more grown up (but still fun).

It made a difference to mine, although how much of that was in my head I don't know!

Black 197
I always start my 182 - have a cigarette - get in and drive normally untill its fully warmed up, never drive it hard though till fully warmed up

Swift Sport
All the best with the 197 mate, hope you love as much as I do mine! I went from 172 to 182 to 197 and I haven't looked back once! :)

Black 197
Dealer rang and said car has had its first service today a few k early (9k), all is good with car and they have put 1 yrs tax on, just waiting for the cup spoiler to arrive from france and be sprayed and fitted then i'll pick her up.... TBH i feel like a kid at christmas lol.. Hopefully it'll be ready by wednesday coz i WANT MY 197 !

White clique
excellent looking forward to the pics! I bet the insurance quote was a nice surprise, being in a lower group?!!

White clique
yeah £435 FC with Admiral, Pics will go up same day i pick car up !! The wait is killing me tbh lol

wow thats an amazing quote, mine is currently £460 i think 9 yrs no claims and clean license, age 29.

make the most of the 182 for the last few days!

Black 197
wow thats an amazing quote, mine is currently £460 i think 9 yrs no claims and clean license, age 29.

make the most of the 182 for the last few days!

Im quite lucky tbh as i have a PCV (Bus/coach) license so get a good discount as its classed as a professional license so helps with the quotes

And the 182 poor thing is being driven like its stolen lol... Its a good car will miss it as had it for 3 yrs and i love my car but times change i spose and cant argue that my new car to be does look the danglies

Black 197
Just an update, Will be picking the 197 up tomorrow, dealer called and said car will be back from the body shop tomorrow morning with the newly fitted cup spoiler !, Feels wierd that my lovely 182 will be gone tomorrow sometime, Anyway pics to follow tomorrow of my 197 at some point

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Skipped part of the thread, in the beginning you said you weren't going to buy it and now on the last page i see you are a convert. I do have to say the 197 does not feel as quick as my old 172 but it is, no doubt and never had any trouble in keeping up with 1*2, or out gunning type r's for that matter. As mentioned its the lack of 5K kick that does it.

Clio 197 08
Bet your well excited! Lol! You thought about whether your going to bring your new pride and joy to South Mimms?

Black 197
I am ash mate i csant wait, Im gonna try and get to the south mimms meet just the gf is pregnant so i'll have to see how she's feeling, will defo pm you and let you know either way

Clio 197 08
Yer let me know mate! Its not til 2pm, the 'morning' sickness should be over! Lol! Hope she is doing well though mate!

Black 197
Stress mate im telling ya, gonna be mass genicide in my house soon lol, Its harder work than i first thought, It's like she's a dif person.... Hormones.... !!!!!

Clio 197 08
Lol, well apart from that i hope shes fine!! :S! Lol! And never let her see your last post! You wont live it down!

Black 197
mate she cant even stand the CS site pmsl,Thinks it's "sad" ?? Apart from that she's ok thanks for asking, knowing my luck my car wont be ready until late tomorrow, Gonna pressure them though me thinks

Clio 197 08
Lol, dont know what she is on about!! Must be the hormones! :S! You going to be out driving most of tomorrow once you picked the car up? I would be!

Black 197
First stop is somewhere nice to park up and grab some pics, In one way its gone quite quick since buying it but i think tonight is gonna drag, lets hope its gonna be ready hey

Clio 197 08
Just take some sleeping pills with dinner and time will fly by. Lol. I was well excited the night before i got mine. When i pulled up to the garage to collect mine i could see it and started wondering round and looking at it before i had even seen the salesman! He had to come out and get me!! :eek:

Black 197
I been up since 4am due to work and should be tired by now but im not !, Oh well only 1 day to go hopefully