ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test Drove the 197

White clique
I'm a happy 197 owner, and can vouch that its not quicker than a 182 - but then it never promised to be either. Just in the same way that the 182 was never leaps and bounds faster than a 172.

Its a more refined, roomier and better built version of the 182 with pretty much the same 0-62 time and a little less off the top speed.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Horses for courses. Have to agree with Gaz though, if you want NA, it's the new car to go for. Few years ago, I could never see myself going for forced induction, but with the increased weight of the newer hatches, it's either forced induction or nose heavy engine. I still think a turbo would transform the 197. The newer turbo's are very nearly as responsive as FBW NA engines, imagine a 197 with the 230 engine+lsd. Remapped to 260bhp/320lbft.

Mini Cooper S sport
It's a shame you didn't get to test drive the R26, I wonder what you'd have thought.

Mine's got a f**king puncture. GRRR.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'd give you a puncture TBH.

I'm kinda tempted by an R26 next, my bro has one and is a lovely car. if you want turbo = r26. if you want N/A = 197/182.

320d
Very good review that mate.

I thought exactly the same about the non RS MK2 v MK3 when I test drove the 1.2 TCE. Yes the MK3 was better imo, didn't realy test its handling just straight line speed and comfort etc however it just wasn't worth the extra money over my MK2 1.2 imo.

PS the meg needs the black wheels in my opinion.
SP_A0048.jpgThis is mine, Black on black looks good, I think so anyway, the R26 is the perfect car to replace a 182, its what i did.

Black 197
Thanks mate

I wasnt being biased either even though i own a 182, i agree the 197 is a much better car in many areas infact nearlly all areas but for me it aint worth the extra £££

Was a 197
197 is a grown up 172/182. Perfect comparison, the original golf gti compared to the one today, more refinement, more kit, build quality etc etc.

Surely its not all about how fast it can corner, brake, accelerate, you gotta be able to live with it day in day out IMO.

Also wasn't the 182 roughly the same price as a 197 new???

Renaultsport 200
Horses for courses. Have to agree with Gaz though, if you want NA, it's the new car to go for. Few years ago, I could never see myself going for forced induction, but with the increased weight of the newer hatches, it's either forced induction or nose heavy engine. I still think a turbo would transform the 197. The newer turbo's are very nearly as responsive as FBW NA engines, imagine a 197 with the 230 engine+lsd. Remapped to 260bhp/320lbft.

Silly fast would be the result. It would step on the R26's toes though

Golf 7R
I dont think you can really judge a 197 within an hour ( or so ) test drive if im honest! Yes they start of tight as a nuns chuff, but like any Renaultsport they love mileage, and they open up superbly!

Mine is on 10k now, and will easily stay with any 1*2 in any situation. It's just unfortunate that the majority will often write it off after a quick 10 min blast from the dealers in a cold tight car.

I guess we will always be this way, and im sure there are people that have already written off the Clio 200 and the Megane 250 ... shame really!

Renaultsport 200
I dont think you can really judge a 197 within an hour ( or so ) test drive if im honest! Yes they start of tight as a nuns chuff, but like any Renaultsport they love mileage, and they open up superbly!

Mine is on 10k now, and will easily stay with any 1*2 in any situation. It's just unfortunate that the majority will often write it off after a quick 10 min blast from the dealers in a cold tight car.

I guess we will always be this way, and im sure there are people that have already written off the Clio 200 and the Megane 250 ... shame really!

I think the 1*2's will just shade it to 60, but a 197 just keeps on pulling and pulling and once in 5th then 6th gear I think it will have its nose infront.

Same driver, same track and the 197 comes into its own tbh.

Black 197
I agree with all 197 owners its a fantastic car but not for me just yet, i dont want to spent £10k on a car that aint miles above my current car. the 197 is better made, steering is spot on and the brakes are fantastic, it looks the nuts too but from my position i dont see it worth spending 10k on a car over my 182

Renaultsport 200
I agree with all 197 owners its a fantastic car but not for me just yet, i dont want to spent £10k on a car that aint miles above my current car. the 197 is better made, steering is spot on and the brakes are fantastic, it looks the nuts too but from my position i dont see it worth spending 10k on a car over my 182

Fair point I guess, and its your own money so you decide what you want.

I'd never chose a 1*2 over a 197 for any reason other than price.

Theres zero bias as I dont have either but I think the 197 is a better car in every single way.

Swift Sport
Personally, I think there are too many contributing factors to take into consideration when comparing the performance of cars. For example, you could have a drag race with several standard 182s/197s and they wouldn't all cross the line at exactly the same moment would they??

Same applies to handling, there aren't many people out there that can utilise their cars full potential. The differences between both cars aren't significant enough to argue over imo.

And as far as reliability is concerned it's in the hands of the gods really isn't it, I mean I've owned four Clio's now and haven't anything go wrong with any of them. On the other hand my friends mk4 golf has been nothing but trouble. I work in the motor trade and as far as I'm concerned whether your car is well built or reliable is a matter of luck in many aspects. Some of our more expensive/prestige cars have been more trouble than the cheap and nasty ones. How you look after your car is a major factor too!! lol

Anyways, I'm going back to sleep lol :)

Turbos.
The 197 is certainly more grown up and a better all round car. For me though, it is lacking loads of potential options (heated seats for one!) so i'd always go for the Golf GTI instead.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The 197 is certainly more grown up and a better all round car. For me though, it is lacking loads of potential options (heated seats for one!) so i'd always go for the Golf GTI instead.

Agreed. A lot of 197 owners seem attracted by the grown up side of the car. Having driven both, i'd say the golf's better built and quicker. Riz's gti runs neck and neck with my ph1 in a straight line, and my ph1 is quicker than a 182.

Personally, I think there are too many contributing factors to take into consideration when comparing the performance of cars. For example, you could have a drag race with several standard 182s/197s and they wouldn't all cross the line at exactly the same moment would they??

Same applies to handling, there aren't many people out there that can utilise their cars full potential. The differences between both cars aren't significant enough to argue over imo.

And as far as reliability is concerned it's in the hands of the gods really isn't it, I mean I've owned four Clio's now and haven't anything go wrong with any of them. On the other hand my friends mk4 golf has been nothing but trouble. I work in the motor trade and as far as I'm concerned whether your car is well built or reliable is a matter of luck in many aspects. Some of our more expensive/prestige cars have been more trouble than the cheap and nasty ones. How you look after your car is a major factor too!! lol

Anyways, I'm going back to sleep lol :)

Wo wo wo wo!! Thats far too sensible for this forum! lol..

You've used logic and eeeeeeverything!!

Spot on TBH.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Amen Ste.

I like the 197. It's just not raw enough for me, it felt too tame. My opinion though.

Black 197
Oops... I think i may just eat my words !

Well last night after driving the 197 i was laying in bed thinking about the drive, I couldnt get the 197 out of my head so along with HAS from the forum we both jumped into my 182 today and went back to the dealer to have another crack, We looked round the car again and asked for a drive, so 10 mins later we was back on the road.. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive and upon arriving back at the dealer i signed the dotted line ! So i pick the car up next Wednesday as there gonna tax it and service it (only done 9k ).. I've also ordered the rear spoiler as i think it looks much better with it so that will come in 2 days and get fitted to the car by monday, Theres a stone chip on the passenger door but there gonna sort that too, Im well chuffed and cant wait until next week...

Happy days aye

White clique

Well last night after driving the 197 i was laying in bed thinking about the drive, I couldnt get the 197 out of my head so along with HAS from the forum we both jumped into my 182 today and went back to the dealer to have another crack, We looked round the car again and asked for a drive, so 10 mins later we was back on the road.. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive and upon arriving back at the dealer i signed the dotted line ! So i pick the car up next Wednesday as there gonna tax it and service it (only done 9k ).. I've also ordered the rear spoiler as i think it looks much better with it so that will come in 2 days and get fitted to the car by monday, Theres a stone chip on the passenger door but there gonna sort that too, Im well chuffed and cant wait until next week...

Happy days aye

NICE ONE!! :D

Well done mate, you wont regret it, cracking cars.

That was a real about-turn, what colour did you buy and reg / milage / spec etc?

I PX'ed my 197 today although i still have it for about 2 more weeks whilst they prepare my new car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Happy days aye
Good for you fella. Did you get to drive an R26 in the end?

Black 197
na no R26 around so i'll step up from my 182 to the 197 and in a year or so i'll take the jump again

Car is Black, 57reg, 9k on the clock, bar the scratch on the door that they are repairing its mint ! I think even HAS from here was suprised, paid 10k for it and got 5k for my 182, im well chuffed

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
na no R26 around so i'll step up from my 182 to the 197 and in a year or so i'll take the jump again

Car is Black, 57reg, 9k on the clock, bar the scratch on the door that they are repairing its mint ! I think even HAS from here was suprised, paid 10k for it and got 5k for my 182, im well chuffed

Nice one mate.

White clique

10k is a decent price especially with 9k on the clock, sounds good. The door scratch will be sorted out a piece of piss, it will look quality.

What options, anything such as xenons / auto lights / climate etc??

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Fair do's, I would of waited TBH. As the R26 is no longer produced, chances of getting a low mileage car will be lower in a year. Your car though, so long as your happy!:D

Black 197
no xeons but has them driving lights what ever they are ?? has auto lights and stuff, doesnt have climate but i dont use it anyway in my 182, got ac but again never use that

White clique
no xeons but has them driving lights what ever they are ?? has auto lights and stuff, doesnt have climate but i dont use it anyway in my 182, got ac but again never use that

if it has auto lights then the driving lights might be the cornering lights, which are a separate bulb on each side that come on as you turn corners (i know they have this on xenon clusters as mine as it, just not sure if they are on the non-xenons)

They are a decent gizmo to be honest.

Mini Cooper S sport
Fair do's, I would of waited TBH. As the R26 is no longer produced, chances of getting a low mileage car will be lower in a year. Your car though, so long as your happy!:D

Don't worry, mine will probably only have about 7k on it on a year's time lol

Nice U-turn on the 197, enjoy the new motor! I would have definitely had one after the 182 but I was set on the Meg.

Black 197
Well when i pick it up ill bang some pictures up, what do you guys think of the spoilers ? i like it so ordered it but whats your view

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Well when i pick it up ill bang some pictures up, what do you guys think of the spoilers ? i like it so ordered it but whats your view
If it has the spoiler, splitter, and side sill bits they look great. Without all 3 it looks half baked. Get them all or none IMO.

Black 197
i didnt get the front one but i may get it, prob best to go renault for that and fit it myself unless anyone knows where it can be found ?

White clique
i'm not a fan of the spoiler but it would probably look best on a black of all the colours, as it wont stick out like a sore thumb. I'd be keen to see the pics with it on a black one.