ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tar remover

172 cup, Impreza P1
Anyone recommend me a tar spot removing product?

The mrs car is white and looks like dot to dot game on the doors. :mad:

Civic FN2 Track Car
Clay bar, I use the dodo juice clay bar and clay bar lube. Works a treat on white cars

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I found yard is the best but I use it all the time and buy in bulk.

For ease of purchasing and for a one off thing, I'd just buy some Autoglym stuff from halfords.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Do not use clay to remove tar, it will work, but that's a really fast way to making a mess of paint, and existing clay.

In bulk buy, Tardis. Smaller sizes autofinesse oblitarate. For the halfords shopper, autoglym intensive tar remover

172 cup, Impreza P1
Seen the autoglym stuff but wasn't sure if it was any good. Not a detailed by any stretch but want to get that sh1t off so worth a punt?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I wouldn't say it was a waste for those not interested or knowing of detailing, just may require a couple of hits compared the the likes of Tardis.

cupman, get a bottle and wipe over the affected panels with a microfibre, DO NOT let it dry, it will probably require a couple of passes then wash again when finished.

Ag intense tar remover is 'ok' but you do need to keep at it. I'm going to try something new as now I'm doing 60 miles a day to and from work I'm getting a lot of crap stuck to the car.

Clio 172 phase 1
Bad practice but drove though a shead load of new layed tar and covered the car I mean covered .... Auto quim waste of everything wouldn't shift it ... I used some panel wipe / degreaser and bang beautiful polished and waxed after :) very happy and ill be doing this agen cost me £9 quid for 5 litres of the tetrosyl stuff from work :)

Clio 197
i find the AG stuff a bit of a pain to use, havent used anything else so cant really comment but will definitely be trying something different once this is used up.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm bored so just browsing through a bunch of threads.

Been mentioned already but Autosmart Tardis is what I use.

Pic whorage -

ta4eryja.jpg

erugu6e9.jpg

u3y4ypa7.jpg

Took a little agitating to get it all off but as you can see it breaks down tar very well.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I find tardis always needs agitating. I'm almost to the point where I say its not that good. But I have no experience of others.

never know how to agitate it either, surely you should refrain from touching the paint anyway?

Spray Tardis on leave for a minute and wipe with a microfibre applicator.

Always worked fine for me.

I think AF oblitarate is good though for alternative.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I have about 3 litres of tardis left so ill continue to use it lol.

rubbing tar all over the car goes against everything else though

"touch less washing" etc.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Will have to get some, still doesn't feel right though lol, I end up giving it multiple hits and agitating with a brush until they pressure wash off

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Jaff. You need to read the instructions mate. Tardis is head and shoulders above any tar remover on the market. And cheaper! 5 litres for £15 ish.

Unless you buy off ebay of course.

Anyway I use the little square mf apps. Spray onto damp/wet (clean) car leave to work. Spray MF app/cloth lightly with tardis before wiping over paintwork. A bone dry cloth will obviously feel harsh.

Those little square apps give bit and don't fold like the cloths do.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
When I say brush I don't mean a garden brush, a soft bristled brush on heavily contaminated areas, just like the white car above.

Ill try a MF applicator next time but it seems counter productive to me

i did buy 5l of the stuff ages ago due to the rave reports it was having

Suzuki Ignis Sport
When I say brush I don't mean a garden brush, a soft bristled brush on heavily contaminated areas, just like the white car above.

Ill try a MF applicator next time but it seems counter productive to me

i did buy 5l of the stuff ages ago due to the rave reports it was having

Remember, you must use it neat. Do not dilute it.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
As said I just applied left it to to work for a few mins and then misted onto a mf and wiped over with that, You'd normally decon and clay anyway when hitting with a tar remover so going to have a little bit of contact with the clay anyway but not enough that a good polish etc. wont cure.