ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sump Removal on 182

Had the misfortune earlier of driving over a brick in the road which not only smashed the cup spoiler but has made a tiny crack in the sump about 5 mil long which is now dribbling oil.

Anybody know if I can get the sump off without splitting the box. First renault and never looked at one of these engines before and now its dark.

Mightily pissed off right now.

[Edited by welsh182 on 23 January 2005 at 7:22pm]

It was some brick, I was driving round a sh*tty estate looking for a mates 2003 motocross bike which was nicked a fortnight ago and now this happens.

I did something similar some years ago, drove over a traffic cone base and it smashed the sh*t out of my sump.

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by welsh182 on 23 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 23 January 2005

has it gone through the plastic cover ?
Hasnt gone through the cover, just whacked it hard enough to crack the sump.

if it hasnt cracked the guard or gone through it how has it damaged the sump?

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

hey, sounds familiar, had similar prob wiv my 172, if the sump is the same (probably is) u can drop it without touching the g/box, but u need 2 lower the subframe or the sump wonnt come out. what u need to do is remove the subframe bolts one at a time ane replace them with threaded rod of the same size with large washers an nuts on them, once u done that slowly lower the subframe bout 2 inches by undoing the nuts, then remove the sump, refit is reverse then replace the threaded rod wiv original bolts, hope this helps

It is dark so I might be wrong, but the cover does not look holed, just marked, but there is definately a small crack in the sump, I have taken the front of the cover off and yopu can see where it is leaking from, give it a wipe and you can see the crack.

[Edited by welsh182 on 23 January 2005 at 8:16pm]

Quote: Originally posted by benji&eka on 23 January 2005

hey, sounds familiar, had similar prob wiv my 172, if the sump is the same (probably is) u can drop it without touching the g/box, but u need 2 lower the subframe or the sump wonnt come out. what u need to do is remove the subframe bolts one at a time ane replace them with threaded rod of the same size with large washers an nuts on them, once u done that slowly lower the subframe bout 2 inches by undoing the nuts, then remove the sump, refit is reverse then replace the threaded rod wiv original bolts, hope this helps
That the best news I have had for a while, dont mind doing that, but did not fancy having to split the box, looks like the box is bolted to the sump casting but as long as it comes off Ill be chuffed.

Forgot to say Thanks a lot

[Edited by welsh182 on 23 January 2005 at 8:17pm]

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

regards above forgot, u gotta unbolt the steering u/j on the 172 but everything else cleared, even though i had to lever the exhaust back into place

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 23 January 2005

Cant it just be sealed?
I have considered it, I have use epoxy aluminium resin to repair crank cases on bikes before now with 100% success, and a gearbox casing in my golf when the clutch exploded - just dont know if I want to risk it on my car.

Anybody got any ideas I am open to suggestions??

Got top go out for a while, but any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks all

Any Renault techs got any advice??

And does someone know what sort of sump gasket is on these, is it rubber and reusable or cork or what??

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I had an ali sump welded a while ago on a gte 16v. That seemed ok afterwards but i think its hard to do on ali. Think the problem is the heat and the amount they expand.

You have to have the correct gear to weld ali but its not hard, i reckon £10-15 to get someone to weld it up that would be my choice.

As if any reno tech would know what to do, Ive yet to see one that can tie up his own shoes!

Cheers

I know someone that can weld ally no problem, I drained the oil today and had about 4 litres out of it, been leaking into a bowl since yesterday evening and very little was in the bowl under the car this lunchtime. Tiny crack = big pain in arse.

Quote: Originally posted by stu8v on 24 January 2005

You have to have the correct gear to weld ali but its not hard, i reckon £10-15 to get someone to weld it up that would be my choice.

As if any reno tech would know what to do, Ive yet to see one that can tie up his own shoes!