ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange and very annoying non starty issue

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Hello all,

I have an intermittent issue with starting.

When I turn the ignition to stage 2 the immobiliser light will either go on then off, flash repeatedly or stay on solid.

When flashing the car will not start. It doesn't matter how many times I try.
If I turn the key back and forth to stage 2 in quick succession the light stays on solid.

When the light is on solid I have a routine which seems to start the car. I turn to stage 2 whilst pressing the end button on the stock. This enters the dash diagnostic mode. I leave it 30 seconds or so then switch it off.
Stage 2 and the immobiliser light goes off. Switch off then start it up.

Can anyone help by explaining why this is happening? Basic fault code reader shows a code for the pre cat lambda. When the car is running it is running fine.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Have you tried swapping around the little relays in the fuse box to see if this cures the problem.

Swap number four and five around. They may be salmon colour in the 172/182

P1000855.jpg

Attachments

• P1000855.jpg
    P1000855.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 1,129

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Have you tried swapping around the little relays in the fuse box to see if this cures the problem.

Swap number four and five around. They may be salmon colour in the 172/182
Hi Graham,

I have not done this, Could you tell me what these are for and why it could cure it?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yeah, they are for the fan relay and one for the ignition relay (turns off the imobiliser). Both the same so if you swap them around you will see if one of them is duff.

If the immob relay can work intermittently if it's giving up.

I had a similar problem on our car and a new relay solved it. Swapping around was an affirmative test though.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Yeah, they are for the fan relay and one for the ignition relay (turns off the imobiliser). Both the same so if you swap them around you will see if one of them is duff.

If the immob relay can work intermittently if it's giving up.

I had a similar problem on our car and a new relay solved it. Swapping around was an affirmative test though.
Perfect mate, Thank you. I will try this on the way home from work tonight and get back to you.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Perfect mate, Thank you. I will try this on the way home from work tonight and get back to you.
I had a spare 5 mins so went out and tried it. No difference unfortunately.

Key in ign stage 2 and immob light flashing. Turn the ign back and forth quickly and the light stays solid. Do the dash diagnostic for 30 secs and then off. Next turn and it starts.
This seems to work every time.

any other ideas? GrahamS

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
If it's flashing it's like the key is not synced to the uch.

try this that I stole from another thread

CLIO II, KANGOO & MASTER INFRA RED RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
2. Press the central door locking buttonin the car for more than 5 seconds.
· Note :the door should lock then unlock.
3. When this happens, 10 seconds is allowed and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate.
4. Point the 1st key at the receiver and press the button twice, the doors should then lock and unlock. Repeat this for other remotes as required.
5. Check that the remote control unlocks and locks the doors.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
If it's flashing it's like the key is not synced to the uch.

try this that I stole from another thread

CLIO II, KANGOO & MASTER INFRA RED RESYNCHRONISING
1. Turn Ignition OFF.
2. Press the central door locking buttonin the car for more than 5 seconds.
· Note :the door should lock then unlock.
3. When this happens, 10 seconds is allowed and the immobiliser warning light should illuminate.
4. Point the 1st key at the receiver and press the button twice, the doors should then lock and unlock. Repeat this for other remotes as required.
5. Check that the remote control unlocks and locks the doors.
Cheers,
This is something that I cannot do at the moment as I have broken the microswitch in the fob. Need to solder a new one on.
This problem has been happening since before the broken switch.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Morning all,

If I put the key in to stage 2 the immobiliser light flashes or stays solid.

If its flashing then I have to turn the key on and off a few times to get the light solid. Once its solid I know the car will start once I have done the dash diagnostics.

Any ideas guys?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Another update, when I left work earlier I tried the usual to start the car and the immobiliser light kept flashing.

However, the light continued flashing and the car started. Drove for a while still with the light flashing!
Any ideas?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I am looking into buying a full UCH ECU keys and locks etc...

If I do, is it likely that the issue I am having will be fixed with a full new set or can it be something totally unrelated?

Cheers

Dave

172 Phase 1
I have had exactly the same problem last couple of months. Ended up not starting at all last week.

I got the spare key out and it fired up straight away meaning my key is knackered.

Do you have a spare key you can try ?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have had exactly the same problem last couple of months. Ended up not starting at all last week.

I got the spare key out and it fired up straight away meaning my key is knackered.

Do you have a spare key you can try ?
Hello mate,

I don't have a spare unfortunately. Today again it started eventually but the immobiliser light continued flashing for an 11 mile journey!
Nothing else seems to be wrong with it so I'm stumped!

Any other ideas?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Yesterday I had 2 journeys where the car was difficult to start but did and drove with the immobiliser light flashing repeatedly.
This morning on the way to work it would not start, well time ran out for me to try and had to leg it for a bus.

Can someone please help me out, Why would my car drive with the immobiliser light flashing and be temperamental with the starting procedure???

Cheers

Dave

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Today I decided to take the circuit board out of my key.
Battery also out.

I did a lock and unlock procedure between stages.

Holding the chip up close to the decoder ring = no immobiliser light car runs
Holding the chip at the other end of the key = flashing immobiliser light non start
Key reassembled = no immobiliser light car runs

I have since done about another 5 starts.

Something is at fault here and I really hope this info can help narrow it down.

Help please!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have taken my key to timpsons to get them to cut a new one. Their machine does not detect that my transponder is there and have advised that it must be a faulty chip/circuit board. They tried an employees Renault key and it reads that fine.

looks like my key has had it then.

Can anybody help with where I can get a replacement as this is my only key and the relevant code cannot be copied.

Cheers
Dave

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Im having similar symptoms mate so i feel your pain. Ive also done a thread asking about keys so maybe take a look in there for replies, as i will do in here. Hope it gets sorted for the both of us ASAP!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Cheers guys! I think I'm going down the route of swapping the UCH ECU and the chip in my key, I'm told that should be suitable with the correct matching parts.

Fingers crossed eh!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
That's the replacement ecu uch and key circuit board switched over. The car started first turn of the key.

However, I now have a light on the dash which I believe is the traction control. I do not have a switch on my car for TC. The parts are from the same car just 6 months newer and the uch shares the same N3 code.

Is having this TC light on detrimental in any way?

Cheers again.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have what I believe is the traction control light on the dash, it comes on immediately.
Using a code reader I am getting code p0500 which I think is a speed sensor, are these 2 things related?

Cheers

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I have what I believe is the traction control light on the dash, it comes on immediately.
Using a code reader I am getting code p0500 which I think is a speed sensor, are these 2 things related?

Cheers

The kit is probably from a 172 cup where they use the speed sensor on a gearbox instead of the abs. Can be changed in clip. Does your speedo work? Probably just need the setting changed.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Glad you got it started [emoji1] . Is the light a triangle with a car with skiddy lines lol?

Yes it is that symbol mate, as below do you know if it came from a cup?

The kit is probably from a 172 cup where they use the speed sensor on a gearbox instead of the abs. Can be changed in clip. Does your speedo work? Probably just need the setting changed.

Yes my speedo is working, everything seems to work. After every drive though I have been scanning it and get the P0500 code. Should I let this bother me? or shall I just ignore it? I assume my standard ph2 172 doesn't have traction control as standard?

Dont know, presume it came from a FF as thats what i asked for when searching. My car is an 03 plate and has traction control. then again it also has a speed sensor that apparently it shouldn't have! Damn frogs!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Dont know, presume it came from a FF as thats what i asked for when searching. My car is an 03 plate and has traction control. then again it also has a speed sensor that apparently it shouldn't have! Damn frogs!

Ok pal, Frogs, got to love em.
Can you tell me which member you bought it from?

Cheers again.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
mattsglobal

I believe this ECU UCH and lock kit originally came from yourself. Could you confirm if this was from a cup model or if it has had any issues?

Cheers

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have been informed that the kit I bought is from a standard 172.

Can anyone advise why I would have the TC light illuminated?

Cheers

Dave