ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Re: sonny172cup "track racer project"

Race report for the TARC series Autumn cup at Donington Park, 2013

What a brilliant first race meeting, this day had everything from wet/dry/damp, bright and dark weather conditions. A perfect introduction to racing at the end of a season, I'm glad to have made the last race (although it being my first). Big thanks to all those that was there and who helped out.

Qualifying session 0900

Qualifying for me did not go to well due to a scrutineers **** up, the car and PPE passed with flying colours however one of the scrutineers forgot to sign the sticker that gets allocated to the car to prove it had been tested, this was picked up on the starting grid moments before the session was started, I was sent back to the scrutineers bay to have it signed. Not having done this before I did not notice it had not been signed. By the time I came back I had to joined the session half way through via the pit lane, this meant that my quail time had been eaten into and I only manage 5 laps of the circuit, having never done Donny before I was relying on that session. I qualified 19th out of 38. Weather conditions had been raining moments before the session, and the track was wet, so I ran Toyos R1Rs and put rear coilovers on softer settings as per Spa settings, however I kept the RARB connected but on the softer setting. This seemed to work fine.

Best Qual Lap 01:46

Race 1

Race 1, having qualified 19th I was put in the middle of the grid surrounded by MR2s, I was happy with where I came. Weather conditions was clear with a damp track but with a dry line, however I decided to keep my R1Rs on as it looked like it was going to rain. However it did not rain so had to race with the R1Rs, mistake on my part, but hey such is life. Race one was under way and after a few laps trying to get into a rhythm and to get used to the circuit I started to sort my lines and braking points out, also the nerves and excitement was getting the better of me too :) I manage to lost a lot of places due to me braking to early, I made it up by slowly overtaking other cars and getting back up to the grid...I was doing well, until...the last lap where I missed a gear coming into the final chicane, I hit 2nd, this unsettled the car and made me run wide onto the grass, for a moment I thought I had control of the car, so powered down and applied throttle, this was a big mistake as the car lost traction and flicked its rear end and became friends with a tyre wall...I saw the wall coming and managed to scrub as much speed as possible. Damage was superficial, bent bumper and bent cross member and lots of blue paint. I switched of the car and jumped behind the tyre wall fearing the worst had happened, last thing I wanted was to continue racing and spill oil on the track and ruin it for everyone else. So I just waited until I got the all clear to limber back to the pits (it happened at the pit entry so that was handy).

Postion DNF, Best lap 01.29

Video Race 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arhdox8Pu8g

Base camp repairs (pre race 2)

So back at the paddock I got the car on axle stand, whipped off the bumper and wheels and gave the car a quick inspections. a few bashes with a hammer, some cable ties, but of sandpaper to clean the headlight of its blue paint and the car appeared to be race worthy again, BONUS. However I had knocked the gear box when I hit the rumble strip..result no reverse gear...all other gears appeared to be fine. Race 2, 15 minutes away.... right, wheels back on, kit up and ready to go. Thanks all for helping me out on this one...

Race 2

Back on the grid just in time, however I am now at the back due my very first 'DNF' (Did not finish), this was shared with 5 others who DNF either. Red lights on, holding revs at 4k, red lights out,,,drop the clutch and BANG...the gearbox jumped out of gear......so had to pull off in second....I ended up doing the first lap in 3 and 4th gear, after a few laps all gear was managed to be selected....hmmmm not sure what happened there, must be the selector arm..(still need to investigate), Condition for race 2 was perfect, dry and clear, I was running my Advans so everything was perfect..apart from the gearbox, this had me being worried so I was trying to preserve the box and be gentle with it. after all I wanted I did not want another DNF! Unfortunately in true GoPro fashion the bats ran out so I had no footage of this race. I finished mid grid
I had one near death experience, when a MR2 spun in front of me on the fast right hander "Redgate". I had to make a sever collision avoidance and swerve into the gravel trap, took me a while to get back on track and lost 10 places, however its better than having two crumbled cars! Unfortunately this was not caught on video but do have pics.

Finish 25th Best Lap time 01.31

Race 3

It rained again, so on went the R1Rs again and coilovers set back on as per testing, this was almost a night race so lights was mandatory and had to be on...I have never done a track day at night so this would be a first. All I can say, this was truly amazing. I did actually well and this was my best effort, clawing my way back up the grid. The tyres performed well. I was battling MR2s most of the races, the other clios was gone for dust and was actually lapped by Tony in Race 2, so in these races you end up racing the ppl around you who start on the grid with...for those that dont know.

Finish 18th Best Lap 01.38 (wet)

Summary

WOW, is one word I will describe my first race experience. I thought I was a fast driver, having done lots of track days and car control courses etc etc, but those Clio boys Tony, James and Dinger are in a diff league it made me realise a few things, maybe I was expecting to be faster, maybe I was kidding myself...first race. So well done guys.

One thing I will say, you mess up on these 15 minute races and your done....there is not enough time to claw your way back up the pack, also gutted about the **** up at the track as I feel it set the position for the rest of the day.

So whats happening now, I am def committing myself the the TARC 2014 French Trophy series, and must say I cant see myself doing a track day now, other than a tester at Brands my local circuit. The car will have its box dropped and inspected by Matt at Codered.

To do list,
Metal sump guard lol
GoPro hard wired in
Better brake pads (yep I was on DS2500)
5th bonnet pin
Own transponder hard wired in

Again big thanks to all who came along

Special thanks to Tony for giving me the nudge ;)

Few pics from the day

lv77.jpg

4f3t.jpg

gk38.jpg

bggk.jpg

flbi.jpg

s0gh.jpg

vzs9.jpg

5z3p.jpg

jmtz.jpg

p1ra.jpg

MR2 close call...

rmp3.jpg

gnxh.jpg

wv88.jpg

2miw.jpg

dbyi.jpg

0ftb.jpg

Roll on 2014 season.

Range Rover Sport

Off topic slightly, how much weight did you save swapping from glass to perspex?

clio cup

That was a good result Sonny.

Isnt it amazing just when you think you can pedal a car fast then get swallowed up by everyone, there is no shame in that and was how I felt when I started Karting, I'd done loads of testing, getting the Kart set up and then I got lapped by everyone in my first race,
Your next race will feel entirely different mate,

Great write up

WRX

I thought you did well mate and like I said before -at least you made it to the end.
I'm not expecting great things in my first race next year. Anything other than last is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

182cup & 172 racecar

Sonny, I've said it before on here. I thought you did very well. BIG difference from doing track days isn't it.

Might see you Brands at some time.

Bring on next year.

Oh, and brave move at 5.30 ish.

I thought you did well mate and like I said before -at least you made it to the end.
I'm not expecting great things in my first race next year. Anything other than last is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say anything equal to or higher than where you qualified, in any race - don't like going backwards.

clio cup

I loved the bit at 6.30 where the Black/orange Swift went grass cutting, lol,

Anyone heard anything else obout the two looneys in the Swifts? More and more videos are appearing of them,

I loved the bit at 6.30 where the Black/orange Swift went grass cutting, lol,

Anyone heard anything else obout the two looneys in the Swifts? More and more videos are appearing of them,

I've been watching a few videos and them swifts have been cropping up a lot! Lunacy driving by them idiots. There wasn't many people they didn't hit, cut across and so on it seems.

Megane r26

I've been watching a few videos and them swifts have been cropping up a lot! Lunacy driving by them idiots. There wasn't many people they didn't hit, cut across and so on it seems.

That black and orange one couldn't keep it on the tarmac and ths red one seemed quick on the straights but awful in the bends!

182cup & 172 racecar

I've just watched my vids, really proud of my boxing in move on the red one for the lead.

That was a good result Sonny.

Isnt it amazing just when you think you can pedal a car fast then get swallowed up by everyone, there is no shame in that and was how I felt when I started Karting, I'd done loads of testing, getting the Kart set up and then I got lapped by everyone in my first race,
Your next race will feel entirely different mate,

Great write up

Thanks buddy, yea I can imagine. Cant wait for the next race... Cant come quick enough

Thanks Adam, get that car sorted and on grid, you will not regret it one bit. Agree about the last bit, sometimes better getting a DNF lol. However ai am gutted i got a DNF on my first race though

Sonny, I've said it before on here. I thought you did very well. BIG difference from doing track days isn't it.

Might see you Brands at some time.

Bring on next year.

Oh, and brave move at 5.30 ish.

Cheers Tony, yes totally agree, track days pah. Yea that move when looking back was crazy more like. I sussed out in the next race that i could out accelerate them coming out the chicane, the MR2 's also seem to bog down on the uphill sections Also, Downhill they seemed to be pretty rapid.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car

Hi Sonny, it's Chris (from OPL). Well done on getting your first race in the bag, you're now on the learning curve which, from my experience, never actually ends but adds a whole new dimension that track days simply can't ever give you.

Looks like you were fighting chronic understeer in race 1, I think you need to get the rear end moving more?

Cant wait for the next race... Cant come quick enough

You should look at the remaining races at Brands this year - there's the Tin Tops series you'd fit nicely into (from what I can recall of the regs) and you'd be on familar ground so would be able to get a baseline from which to work.

http://www.barcsoutheast.co.uk/calendar.html

There's the 'Victor Meldrew' the following Sunday but think that might be only open to drivers of a certain age...

Clio 172

Sonny you represented yourself very well with a very full field of cars and no prior knowledge of the circuit and 4 seasons in one day.

Hi Chris, yes the tyres was going off pretty quick mostly due to my driving style, should have managed them a little better. They was road tyres (Toyo R1Rs). I never suffered from understeer with the softer rear springs, spacers and less camber. This was same dramas I was having at Spa, its something that I am working on at the moment.

I dont think I can run in TT due to the composite doors, I would love to race but need to save funds for next season as I dont want to be caught out.

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car

I dont think I can run in TT due to the composite doors, I would love to race but need to save funds for next season as I dont want to be caught out.

maybe worth giving them a call if you do fancy it, I've guested with them in the mini before now running under the regs from their other series (InterMarque for anything goes spaceframe specials). There's also the QMN champioship but you'd be nearer the back of the grid as they're for more modified cars.

Matt runs a TomCat in Tin Tops so will tell you all about it (Hi Matt btw :D)

Clio.

'Ello Chris!
As Chris mentioned we run the rover in BARC Tintops, it's a pretty good series, focused in the south east
Silverstone and Snetterton are the furthest circuits we use. (mostly brands hatch and lydden).
I can check our regs for if you like for the doors etc.
We are at brands on the 2nd and 3 rd of nov for our final rounds.

To be fair guys, I dont think I will push it to make another race this year, car will retire for the winter to undergo the box repair and minor mods. Also give me time to save up a racing slush fund.

I have also been thinking about adding a second colour to the Blue wrap, thinking about adding white mirror caps, roof vent, brake dusts and side sills.. Think the white will compliment the white wheels...What ya reckon?

Clio 172

I have also been thinking about adding a second colour to the Blue wrap, thinking about adding white mirror caps, roof vent, brake dusts and side sills.. Think the white will compliment the white wheels...What ya reckon?

I think dark blue to the leading endge of the bonnet and lights would work well, ;)

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car

I reckon... it's a race car, you should only worry about cosmetics when you've had a coming together with armco/another competitor/all of the above.... ;)