ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something that does a better job than a Clio?

53 Clio's & counting
Was having a convo with a mate who was telling me how rubbish my Clio is, why don't i sell it and buy a 'better car' etc, which got me thinking...

what out there is 'better' than my Clio?

Lets say mines worth £1800-£2000, with £400 of mods

It does 0-60 in under 7 secs
0-100 in under 18
Can lap Castle Combe in under 1 min 30
Has decent mid range punch for safe overtaking
Can average over 30 mpg
Cheap to buy
Plenty of room for a larger driver
Comfortable on long trips
Fairly cheap to run (only big jobs being expensive)
Reliable if looked after (130k on mine with original clutch, gearbox etc)

I honstly cannot think of a better car i could buy for around £2000 that offers such an all round package.

I know there are better cars out there for more money so the rule is for around £2000 something that offers EVERYTHING the Clio has

320d
To be honest nothing springs to mind. A Saxo VTS would need at least £400 to get it to those performance figures as it would need full exhaust inc manifold and decat and a good IK setup. You can get them for £2000 no problem for a good one with FSH etc though.

The problem is its not as big as the clio. It also would not be a step up from the clio in anyway.

For the money you can't go wrong with a ph1 172.

Nimbus 197
I bought my 197 as, for the money, it was the best combination of size (not too big for the wife to drive and yet big enough for the family), speed, comfort and toys.
The Clio has always offered a good compromise. There are more comfortable, more spacious, faster, better spec'd cars, but non I could find had the same all round specs.

Add to that the price of a Clio compared to an equally aged car and you're onto a winner. (eg Civic type R, Mini Cooper S etc)

ITB'd MK1
Was having a convo with a mate who was telling me how rubbish my Clio is, why don't i sell it and buy a 'better car' etc, which got me thinking...

what out there is 'better' than my Clio?

in these circumstances "better" normally means newer, from the perspective of the person saying it. Typical of someone with little knowledge or enthusiasm for more than having a status symbol really.

A civic Type-R is the only car i can think of that rivalled the Clio when they were both new, and the fun factor is much less

53 Clio's & counting
in these circumstances "better" normally means newer, from the perspective of the person saying it. Typical of someone with little knowledge or enthusiasm for more than having a status symbol really.

A civic Type-R is the only car i can think of that rivalled the Clio when they were both new, and the fun factor is much less

My point exactly mate, and look at the price difference between mine and a Type R

And out of interest what does your mate drive......

MK5 Golf GTi, which he says is faster than mine, even though every time i pass him he had 'heat soak' or is loosing boost blah blah....

Id love a MK5 GTi, but again you cant get one for £2000

182FF Arctic
Some people i know constantly rubbish me for driving "a French, girls car".

But regardless of other people's opinions, i know it brings a smile to my face everytime i take my Ph1 172 out for a spin.

The main culprit only drives a 1.6 focus, which in my opinion isn't exactly a great car.

Renault Clio S
If your car is reliable, then keep it. In this price bracket you could end up with something that will give you no end of grief.

ITB'd MK1
Mk5 golf GTI is a long way from a performance car. it's a nice modern car, with some sporty looking bits, and a badge. It's not fast in any way, and they weigh about 6 tonnes.

I could have had modern cars many times, but they have no character

53 Clio's & counting
Mk5 golf GTI is a long way from a performance car. it's a nice modern car, with some sporty looking bits, and a badge. It's not fast in any way, and they weigh about 6 tonnes.

I could have had modern cars many times, but they have no character

it is true about nwer cars, more safety, more weight = less fun

but after doing a fair few miles in different GTi's i do like them you really have to man handle them but they can be fun, just no where near as much as the Clio lol

106 GTI
it is true about nwer cars, more safety, more weight = less fun

but after doing a fair few miles in different GTi's i do like them you really have to man handle them but they can be fun, just no where near as much as the Clio lol

Takes a lot more skill to drive a gti fast than a clio, torsion beams love to let loose and gobble you up

53 Clio's & counting
Cat D Integra DC2? - wont find one for £2k

Cat D EP3 CTR? as above

BMW E30 325i? - wont do over 30 mpg

Mk2 Golf GTi 16v? - long in the tooth now, youngest ones will be 17 years old

GTD, Lupo
Cat D Integra DC2?

Cat D EP3 CTR?

BMW E30 325i?

Mk2 Golf GTi 16v?

I have a mk2 golf 16v and they are fun but its 19 years old and breaks all the time :D Good fun. I have always got a lot of stick from my mates as they all drive jap crap and and BMs, i have always been a die hard VW fan, but recently took a risk and ordered a Clio 200 cup and now i get even more stick. I think no matter what you do your mates will always try and take the piss if you are slightly different from the norm.

Paul

Clio 182 + Recaros
I have a mk2 golf 16v and they are fun but its 19 years old and breaks all the time :D Good fun. I have always got a lot of stick from my mates as they all drive jap crap and and BMs, i have always been a die hard VW fan, but recently took a risk and ordered a Clio 200 cup and now i get even more stick. I think no matter what you do your mates will always try and take the piss if you are slightly different from the norm.

Paul

They will I'm afraid most of my mates are in BM's and Merc's and constantly take the piss out of my clio. I prefer my 182, its fun to drive its been very reliable so happy days.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
In response to the original question, You can't. Hence why I bought my 12th 172 today. f**king love them. :D

53 Clio's & counting
In response to the original question, You can't. Hence why I bought my 12th 172 today. f**king love them. :D

You have a problem lol ;)

Though iv been driving 10 years and im on car number 37 now....

Im thinking GTi-6 is closest, but out the 3 iv driven the Clio has felt more screwed together

S3, Polo
MG ZR 160?

Supposed to be cheap and pretty good fun?

No personal experience though!

However, after the Elise I'd NEVER have a K-Series engined car again - Goddam HGF...

F82 M4
To be honest nothing springs to mind. A Saxo VTS would need at least £400 to get it to those performance figures as it would need full exhaust inc manifold and decat and a good IK setup. You can get them for £2000 no problem for a good one with FSH etc though.

The problem is its not as big as the clio. It also would not be a step up from the clio in anyway.

For the money you can't go wrong with a ph1 172.

There's nothing in it really. A standard VTS will happily keep up with a 172 around a track, it's just the straights that the Clio would have the edge.

53 Clio's & counting
MG ZR 160?

Supposed to be cheap and pretty good fun?

No personal experience though!

However, after the Elise I'd NEVER have a K-Series engined car again - Goddam HGF...

mate used to own one, good cars

There's nothing in it really. A standard VTS will happily keep up with a 172 around a track, it's just the straights that the Clio would have the edge.

Yes a VTS would keep but it would need a bloody good driver!

Modded there is less in it

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Ill crack the jokes, there good, but imo, no dice!

Until you have driven both you wont know what i mean :rolleyes:

(Also before people tell me about how a modified GTi would hand a 1*2 its arse on a plate im not interested, modified versus standard FTL!)

AK

M240i
Ill crack the jokes, there good, but imo, no dice!

Until you have driven both you wont know what i mean :rolleyes:

(Also before people tell me about how a modified GTi would hand a 1*2 its arse on a plate im not interested, modified versus standard FTL!)

LOL welcome back.

Fair does ;) Was just a thought!

Will be my next purchase i rekon in a few months, so will be able to say one half of the argument anyway :rasp: