ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something that does a better job than a Clio?

immaculate clio 172
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1083279.htm

i think this would tw*t all over a 182 lol

running costs would be slightly higher i'd expect.

my last car was a 306 rallye - you can tell much of a difference between that and my 182. the rallye pulled to 140 with 13 stone of ballast in the passenger seat!
That may be true as my mate has one and it is stupidly quick but my god they are an ugly looking car everyone ive mentioned them to has said dont care how quick they are as they look awful lol plus you be lucky to see 15mpg on a good day from a modded one, again swings and roundabouts i suppose:S

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Pulsar GTiR is a very good shout imo (nothing to do with it being an all time favorite)

But 4wd and 227bhp as standard is appaealing, s**t gearboxes though :(

As for the CTR having better steering feel is open to debate, alot comment on how its a little inert as it were

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
How about a Citroen ZX 16v Daker like this.

DSC01118.JPG

24138550006_large.jpg

You might struggle to find one these days but they're the same as the GTI6 but lighter and cooler imo.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Couldn't agree more with the comments about the Pugs.

I've been a Pug man all my life until I got the 172.
Had a 106 GTi which I think is nearly as quick as the Clio in a straight line, but I think would be faster around the twisties if both cars were driven back to back by the same person. They inspire more confidence IMO, and the handling is sublime. If you ask me, I think they're a lot more fun than the Clio. The Saxo VTS should be pretty much the same, but IIRC as standard they have a slightly thinner anti-roll bar at the back which means the turn-in isn't quite as good (quote me if I'm wrong?).
Haven't actually owned a 306 GTi-6 but have driven and raced a few. I didn't think they were as much fun as the 106 GTi because they don't feel as much like a go-kart, but they are definitely quicker and corner just as well. I've had a razz against a standard PH1 GTi-6 which was neck and neck with my 172, and a Y reg PH2 '6 which was pulling away slightly by the end of 3rd gear. I dare say a PH1 172 or a cup would be a bit quicker than either of them though.

IMO you can't go wrong with either a 106 or 306 GTi. Yes they're made out of spit and twine, but I'd say they're the best compromise between an old-school hot hatch and a modern bells and whistles car.
I just wanted something a bit newer that offered similar levels of fun but with more toys to make daily driving less of a ball ache. Hence the 172.

I've never driven a Ph1 172 or a cup though, so I can't comment on how they compare to the Pugs handling wise.

None :(
I know exactly how u feel when ya mates say your car is a crapy french car. I get it all the time at work (celica drive, type R driver, mx5 driver, a4 quattro driver) but yet the other day, i let the mx5 owner, drive my 182 after i stripped the back out, and he was, to put it frank "AMAZED" he said this is such good fun, and i now know what you mean!

Next time they say its sh*t car, just say right, here's the keys, let go for a drive then tell me its a sh*t car :)

But this has been a very interesting read on my night shift, i think ill treat/look at pug owners in a different light now ;)

BLACK GOLD 182
FPMSL!! I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels VERY unsafe doing over 110 in a Clio.

hahahahahaha i had back tires changed so i on 2 pe2's at front and 2 eagle f1s at back and fak me does my ass twitch! even worse wne i took the rear bench out lol need it lowering lol and some pe2s on bakc only had one nail in bak right tire but qwik fit didnt stock my pe2 so ended up wi spare pe2 and 2 eagles :(

BLACK GOLD 182
not drove type r to comment but drove 1.6 sport and there steerign and clutch are insanley light dunno about type r, but i rekon wen ppl say type r is fatser...yeh tru it is it has 200-ish bhp..clios have 180-ish but on the fifth gear people use to prove it the clio does an awful lap by my account i think. i would stick with your car save up and then blow it on a monster after that like evo ;) like am gunna do or summet along them lines :)

53 Clio's & counting
I know exactly how u feel when ya mates say your car is a crapy french car. I get it all the time at work (celica drive, type R driver, mx5 driver, a4 quattro driver) but yet the other day, i let the mx5 owner, drive my 182 after i stripped the back out, and he was, to put it frank "AMAZED" he said this is such good fun, and i now know what you mean!

Next time they say its sh*t car, just say right, here's the keys, let go for a drive then tell me its a sh*t car :)

But this has been a very interesting read on my night shift, i think ill treat/look at pug owners in a different light now ;)

Chap at work has a Cooper S works, and followed me into work one morning, only thing he could say when i got to work before him was 'that thing bloody shifts' lol

MCS R56
All things considered, I think the Clio Sports are very tough to beat. There are quite a few quicker cars out there but the mpg and running costs suffer.

When I bought my Cup, it was £10,500 for a pre-registered example. There was nothing close in terms of fun/bang per buck for basically a new car.

MCS R56
How about a Citroen ZX 16v Daker like this.

DSC01118.JPG

24138550006_large.jpg

You might struggle to find one these days but they're the same as the GTI6 but lighter and cooler imo.

Loving these!:) My dad had a few and I learned to drive in a 1.9d Avantage. Great cars - very unique!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I had a 106 gti before my 182 and my valver and i would NEVER go back to over after owning my 172, the interior is from the 80's, the early ones eat head gaskets, its hard to find a decent example for under 2k which hasnt been abused by billy bolt on. Also AS STANDARD they do handle really well and I love Pugsport exhausts :), I found mine really quick off the line, due to the weight I would have thought.

2.2 bar shed.
http://pistonheads.com/sales/1078298.htm ?

150mph, 200bhp with unlimited tuning potential.

Pretty reliable, only suffer from oil leak from the HG - fit a MLS one and no more problems. Gearbox is solid, clutches... Er, gone through 2 so ill let you decide on that one. That may be down to me being a bit of a tit tho so...?

Cheap as chips as well. That and its got a nice roof for the summer :p

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The problem with RS's is in each category they are probably 7/10 - an all round excellent package.

There are many cars which can be better in one or two areas but nothing that competes in every area.

My 172 isn't as much fun as the Williams no doubt but it is a far easier every day car. I am also getting 37mpg and that does include a fair bit of "thrashing". The Williams for the same was on 30mpg!

The handaling is alot softer than the Williams as well but the way I drive and the roads I am on makes it impossible to get the full advantage out of it. I read alot of comments on here and sometimes I often think or wonder if ppl miss the point? Why want a car, or set up a car to handle or go like it does, when you can only use that for 10% or less of your driving time? This was ultimatley why I got a RS as the M53 and A55 don't have too many fast corners or tight apex's! To coin a phrase that someone said on here and I love is "you don't go to work via the ring do you".

Another thing I like about the 172 is I don't think it is going to kill me, a little understeer doesn't feel like it will develop into manic lift off oversteer. It is a very managble car and easy to find the limit and drive within without having to be a genius behind the wheel.

I don't know much about some of the other cars mentioned in comparison on here but my 172 (and others no doubt) feels very solid in the engine department. I didn't feel liek this with the Williams but the car honestly loves to be punished and is certainly quick enough for me.

The only real disadvantages and massive critiscms I have with the RS's or 1*2's is the steering wheel and seating position - they are clearly all wrong. However this is nothing £500 won't sort out in buckets and a new wheel.

For me I am really pleased with mine and you are right Russ, looking around for a car which is noticebly better is almost impossible. You always end up back in the hot hatch department and very few offer the same VFM.

Last edited:
  williams and trophy
Was having a convo with a mate who was telling me how rubbish my Clio is, why don't i sell it and buy a 'better car' etc, which got me thinking...

what out there is 'better' than my Clio?

Lets say mines worth £1800-£2000, with £400 of mods

It does 0-60 in under 7 secs
0-100 in under 18
Can lap Castle Combe in under 1 min 30
Has decent mid range punch for safe overtaking
Can average over 30 mpg
Cheap to buy
Plenty of room for a larger driver
Comfortable on long trips
Fairly cheap to run (only big jobs being expensive)
Reliable if looked after (130k on mine with original clutch, gearbox etc)

I honstly cannot think of a better car i could buy for around £2000 that offers such an all round package.

I know there are better cars out there for more money so the rule is for around £2000 something that offers EVERYTHING the Clio has

still a clio.....but something that seems to get forgotten about in the current climate.

williams would better all above and still roll in cheaper. ;)

IMO you can't go wrong with either a 106 or 306 GTi. Yes they're made out of spit and twine, but I'd say they're the best compromise between an old-school hot hatch and a modern bells and whistles car.
I just wanted something a bit newer that offered similar levels of fun but with more toys to make daily driving less of a ball ache. Hence the 172.

GTi-6 build quality is alot better. People always used to say to me when I had one 'watch it doesnt catch on fire - crap french electrics' Now, I thought that was a misconseption from someone they knew who had a bad example. Mine never missed a beat.

The cup blew a fuse today randomly, and the interior is made on an extreme budget

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
I just sold a mk5 golf gti and got my 2002 ph2 172 due too being sick of huge finance etc and il say the gti is a lovely car but my 172 would be all over it and so much more fun to drive and 172 is worth a qaurter of the gti lol gti = too sensible
I'd take the scirocco over the gti, absolute riot to drive and more fun then my cup- the only reason i never slapped down a deposit was the feeling i would be missing out on too much when the R comes.

Ep-4efte-c160
agreed you could pic up a 1bar gt turbo, possebly advance for that kind of money now

1bar in a gt turbo would hit 60 in the low 6's(standard 6.9)
0-100 in between 13-14 seconds (standard 19 seconds)
Has eye opening mid range punch for safe overtaking and baiting much larger cars(all from a 1.3?)
Can average over 30 mpg
Cheap to buy
can outbrake alot of cars (860kg curb weight)
generaly reliable with sturdy build quality that can take abuse.
cheap to tax, insure and run(65 quid tax for six months.)
very easy to work on.
very active tuning industry around these cars with alot of back up and support.
gateway to afordable turbo motoring

im on about this shape glanzas are just as good, but also slightly heavier and more expensive.
welshmeet2009003.jpg

_MG_23851.jpg

check out uksc if your interested.

Last edited:
MG ZR 160 probably fits the bill the most - only slightly slower but people are recommending a VTS and it will keep up with that and pull away at higher speeds.

I dont see how a VTS is going to keep up with a 172 anyway, 130 bhp / tonne vs 160+?

MG ZR 160?

Supposed to be cheap and pretty good fun?

No personal experience though!

However, after the Elise I'd NEVER have a K-Series engined car again - Goddam HGF...

an MG an MG!!!! MG ZRs are w**k full stop

id perfer to die than own an mg zr (awful cars)

Clio 172
Not true i had a 55 plate zs 180 + was lovely never had any faults was fast rear wheel drive sporty looking and massive boot! Great car and handled well.

an MG an MG!!!! MG ZRs are w**k full stop

id perfer to die than own an mg zr (awful cars)

Have you ever owned one?

Had a ZR which (once warmed up) was driven hard daily for 18 months and it did around 25,000 miles in that time. Nothing major ever went wrong - with the biggest problem being electric windows needing rewiring. The car handled amazing and definitely much better than the clio, steering was the best for driving enthusiastically I have ever felt in a car.

After 1 day of owning my clio 172 (with very low mileage) two exhaust mountings have broke, the right xenon light has stopped working, the 1 week old OEM backbox and middle section are already blowing.

Now im not slating the clio as I appreciate its a lot of car for the money but just telling my experiences of ownership on two different cars so far - however short it may be, and maybe the point im trying to make is just because you had a bad experience with one particular car doesnt mean every one is bad - you get good and bad examples of cars from every manufacturer.

you think a ZR handles better than an RS clio?

maybe you bought a dog dude.

Well I was being a bit unfair - coilovers setup properly VS standard suspension on my clio - so yeh it did handle better compared to how my clio is now. No idea how well the clio will handle once setup correctly but now its definitely not amazing, and has a lot more bodyroll than I would expect which did surprise me tbh.

rps13
Never driven a ZR but from what i've seen the chassis looks like it can handle a fair bit of power.

The bodyroll is a bit s**t, but standard you can have so much confidence in the handling of the clio.

Never driven a ZR but from what i've seen the chassis looks like it can handle a fair bit of power.

The bodyroll is a bit s**t, but standard you can have so much confidence in the handling of the clio.

I think maybe im just used to a car that was very low and stiff, and going to a car with any bodyroll at all is a bit strange to me.

The back end certainly likes to go light under hard braking which was quite scary when I wasnt expecting it the first time.

172 Cup
106 GTi. I had one before my cup. With just a exhaust, manifold and filter it was 142bhp, ran a 14.72 1/4 at the pod. Felt just as quick as the cup. Different car to drive tho, can be very nervous in the corners, but you get used to it. Would still have it, just fancied something different.

Last edited: