ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something a lil strange - Poss dephaser Pulley?

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
Basically i was out last night driving along the dual carridgeway when suddenly i lost all power to the engine. I pulled over checked the spark plugs and they where all sparking, i had fuel, there was also enough oil in the car. But it would start AA came out and basically didnt have a clue just said possible timing is out.

Well been up the garage today havin a good look over it the aux belt is fine along with the cam belt which is not loose or anything, again theirs fuel and a spark but no compression.

The car will not start, the starter is ticking over but it will not run. Now been speaking to a few people and a dephaser pulley could be the cause of this problem but would the cam belt be loose? Also i dont know if it would stop the engine from working but powersteering is comming out of the top of the cap?

Any help would be brilliant guys
cheers

Bondie

SQ5
I had this problem after I got my Mk1 conversion back from GDI, couldn't work out what the problem was. Open the oil filler cap and try turning it over and see if the cams ares turning. If not, your cambelt has snapped!

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
After a good going over it again last night with cookie-jnr we found the problem, Part of the aux belt has come of like a strand of the belt and looks asif it has wrapped around the crank shaft and knocked the timing out of the cambelt but luckily hasnt snaped the cambelt so no valve damage.

Going to get it to the garage monday quoted around £400, what you think?

Bondie

PH1 172 Sport
Could still be valve damage without a snapped belt but it depends on how much the timing has slipped

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
How did you manage to check the spark plugs? Did you take the plenum off on the side of the road?!

Anyway...looks like a lucky escape!

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
yeah me and few other makes includeing luke. off here took the plenum off in sainsburys carpark at 12 at night lmao.