ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Skoda splitter disaster

F56 MINI Cooper S
So yesterday we fitted my Skoda splitter which I ordered last week. Screwed it in as instructed and was left with a decent looking splitter. So anyway, was driving down a dual carriageway today, and I hears a scraping noise, so I thought WTF is that and pulled over into a layby. As I pulled in a hears a crack, so gets out and looks at the front to see whats occuring. I look to find the inner plastic wheelarche protector missing. I look down towards the end of the layby and there it is laying in the road. So that is completly broke and grated where its been hitting concrete at 70mph. On further inspection, it has not only broke, but ripped into my front bumper, as pictured below...

DSC00186.gif

DSC00187.gif

And then the plastic inner wheelarch thats fallen off and been scraped to fcuk

DSC00188.gif

So basically, i'm left with no plastic bit, and a broken front bumper which I am pissed off about!

Need to get a quote on getting my front bumper fixed now! :mad:

Surely thats got nothing to do with your splitter, sounds like the arch liners been catching between your wheel and bumper and caused that... or something along those lines..

Ged

PD130 Peach
do you mean the splitter came off and got caught between the arch liner and the wheel maybe?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm guessing you screwed the splitter into your liner enough to push it upwards.

Air then got underneath it and boom.

172cup
nothing to do with the skoda splitter, that happened to me too going over 100 with stock splitter, the archliner went in pieces but luckily didnt crack my bumper.
When the front screw loosen up, the airflow might tear it apart.

Renault Clio RS182
i had all on to get those plastic stud things out that hold the arch liner in..cant ever imagaine the blooming thing coming loose and causing this much damage, id be gutted!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Weird thing to happen. Especially considering the 25 torq that holds the liner to the bumper (hence the split).

Unlucky. Expensive.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Same happened in my Cup, barrelling along at 80+ and suddenly got a noise from hell and vibration through the steering wheel.

The arch liner had come out, bent backwards, and kept catching under the front wheel. Luckily it didn't catch properly under the wheel and rip itself out at 80mph.

This was with no mods as well...so it seems that some go with no warning.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I bet Andy Carrol beat fcuk out of your bumper while you were driving along.

Can't blame him though, he's probably a lovely guy.

If I had to guess which person on here would fit a spiltter wrong it would be you...

Pics of it after fitted but before the crack?

F56 MINI Cooper S
I had to unscrew two of the bolts because other wise the splitter wouldnt have sit flush onto the bumper, there would have been a big gap in there

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
He's tried to fit it, and f*cked it up. Resulting in this.

Gotcha.

So you created an aerofoil with no where for the air to pass, other than to force pressure on the lining and eventually crack the bumper?

I blame skoda TBF.

Clio 182
Same thing happened to me when a garage didn't fit the arch linner back in properly. It didn't damage my bumper though. The weird thing was I'd just fitted a scoda splitter?!?!?

Ph2 Clio 172
I had to unscrew two of the bolts because other wise the splitter wouldnt have sit flush onto the bumper, there would have been a big gap in there

?

Are you talking about the screw in the bottom of the bumper at the end by the wheel arch?

I just cut a bit out of the spitter so it didn't cover it.

RS6 C7
Anyone else and i might feel sorry for you but seeing as you give advice on things you have no clue about i don't...

Karma is a b**ch.