ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I Do It?????

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Went to Renault in Inverness yesterday with a friend, convinced him to go for a Clio (with their new 3 year warranty on used cars why not?!). I ended up chatting to the guy who sold me my 1.4 Dynamique and mentioned all the mods I had done to make it look like a 172. His reply was "why not just get one, i'll sort out the rest of your finance, all you have to do is get a decent insurance quote."

I thought, "nah, can't be THAT easy."

So he phones me today, and I quickly get a quote of £1500 with Admiral!!!!! That's me the main driver, i'm only 20, with my mum added including her motoring offences (tut tut!). He tells me he has a 172 cup at the dealers, and just to pop in if I decide to go ahead and he can start looking at getting 172/182's up the road for me to see.

Holy crap, i've been wanting one for the last 2 years and looks like I can now afford it. Should I stick with my 1.4 (which i'm not insured as the main driver and paying out £900 anyway!) or take the plunge and put a smile on my face for the rest of my life.

I'd be a bit gutted too, i've enjoyed sourcing 172 bits to change my current car, and my 172 bumper arrived yesterday and it's looking sexy.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Funny thing is i've never even sat in a sport, but i'd say yes over the phone to one.

Octavia VRS
A different feel to the standard Clio mate but you will get used to it and I'm sure you will love the upgrade in performance

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
_Kenny_ said:
A different feel to the standard Clio mate

I know exactly what you mean. Drove my mums DCi for a year before my Dynamique and even that was different. I phoning him back now, see what he says.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Again, before I phone, holy crap. I've been ripped off stupid by Norwhich union! I've been paying £800 as an additional driver (so no n/c), admiral just quoted me £549 in my name, fully comp. MAN MY ASS HURTS FROM THAT. Oh well, I need to check the milleage on my car so that he can tell me how much he'd take my car back for. Any tips on that to increase the value?

Black R26, Iceburg 172
I am 20 and have just bought a 172 cup, insured in my name with my mum as a named driver for £1500. Im seeing deja vu. So my answer to your question would be yes definitly buy one you wont be disappointed!!

Nimbus Clio 197
oh god yeah, it sounds like you had convinced yourself in the 1st post anyway ;) I would say yeah

Burgandy 174 sport t
same as me I bought all the bits to make my dynamique look like a 172, and when goin to the dealer for more bits I ended up buyin a new un.

251bhp Skoda Fabia vRS
Do it!!!! You won't be dissapointed!

Make sure you spruce your car up good and proper before taking it for trade in. Think about spending £30-£50 on getting it professionally valeted before you show it to the dealer. Spending that amount may seem a bit excessive when you are getting rid but it will add a good few hundred to the trade in price if it looks like brand new inside an out.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Do it!! I'd go full fat though if it was me...
Sell privately if you can as they'll rape you with what they offer. Especially as they now know how much you want an RS as soon as poss.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
He's located a blue 172 Cup for me, but said I'd be buying it blind, but if there's anything wrong with it, its obviously covered. Plus the 3 yr warranty. Just managed to knock my insurance quote down to just over £1300, fully comp inh my name, and only being 20, by adding my dad as a named driver too. That's bl**dy good IMO. So apparently I can have the car in 4-5 days time, sitting on my driveway. I've told myself I'd call back with an answer today.

But a few Q's for you all;

Do I need to call my old insurance company to cancel, do they charge for this?

MINI JCW
go for it, although you dont have to buy a car from him. Look around on auto trader and you should get a good deal

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Crap, that £1300 quote is if I paid one off. £1800 if I want monthly otherwise. How the hell can they justify that?!

M2 Competition
Do it, i did a similar thing!

Wanted one for ages, had a 1.2 16v, saw a cup at the dealership.

Traded mine in for the cup, and i love it! puts a smile on my face every drive.

Just check how much extra you'll be paying, as might be better to sort the finance and sell it if thats possible, and start over on the new car...