ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'secerity tool' taken over pc

M135i
I turned my pc on about an hour ago and before the desktop came on a program called 'secerity tool' automatically ran and said i had some pc worm or somthing, looks a legit copy and not some pop up software but dont have a clue where its come from and once you go through it all sayin you dont want to buy the fuill version, its leaves me with a black desktop and no icons, and i cnt right click.

I tried running 'msconfig' to stop it popin up from start up but that same 'worm' message comes up and wont let me get on it.

Internet seems to be working fine but i cnt listen to music :S

This is on vista btw

M135i
im not sure, the program thats running looks very legit which is making me wonder, if it is a virus, is there anyway to remove it ? it seems to off done somthin to AVG as i can only uninstall it so cnt even run a virus scan.

It's A Reno
im not sure, the program thats running looks very legit which is making me wonder, if it is a virus, is there anyway to remove it ? it seems to off done somthin to AVG as i can only uninstall it so cnt even run a virus scan.

They always do look legit. It'll be a virus.

you need to reset your machine and keep hitting f8 before the windows load screen. You will then be able to select safe mode and do msconfig from there

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It's a virus, my fiances brother had this on his PC a few weeks back. You can Ctrl+Alt+DEL to kill the task and then start explorer. You can probably find some automated tool to remove it, I did it by hand.

320d M Sport
Deffo a virus I had it,

Start PC in safe mode with networkin
Download "Malwarebytes Anti Malware"
Install
Get AVG (if u havent already)
Run scan

Start PC normally

that was the ONLY thing that worked on mine, and I had AVG running when I got that virus

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Deffo a virus I had it,

Install
Run scan

Start PC normally

that was the ONLY thing that worked on mine, and I had AVG running when I got that virus

^^^This, plus there is a file called RKill

Rkill.exe http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe
Rkill.com http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
Rkill.scr http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr
Rkill.pif http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif

Use one of those links above, it should then stop the process from running, allowing Malwarebytes to do the rest.

MK5 R32
You need to some how system restore, start it up in safe mode. it will have block all your anti spyware, virus scanners, avg etc... when I had this i took vista off the machine and put on windows 7, no trouble since :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Deffo a virus I had it,

Install
Run scan

Start PC normally

I've found that in itself to be a right fecker though. Thankfully, they do provide the full instructions of how to remove it, but on the PC I uninfected - Malwarebytes was actually a whole lot worse than the original infection.

D.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lol if it's Vista chances are it'll be re-infected within weeks.

Solution? Re-format + XP/7.
FLOL, load of b****cks, i've had not a single issue with vista, i have never had a virus and i visit some fairly abnormal websites, the key is not to use IE or outlook on your home computer, webmail and firefox plus AV = no viruses, the os doesn't make any difference.

Titanium 182
FLOL, load of b****cks, i've had not a single issue with vista, i have never had a virus and i visit some fairly abnormal websites, the key is not to use IE or outlook on your home computer, webmail and firefox plus AV = no viruses, the os doesn't make any difference.

+1

(except chrome not FF)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

I doubt you'd know an 'issue' from your @rse to be honest. If that's the sort of erm...'requirements' you think Vista needs then that alone makes it a waste of time. Firefox is FAR more susceptable in Vista than IE.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I doubt you'd know an 'issue' from your @rse to be honest. If that's the sort of erm...'requirements' you think Vista needs then that alone makes it a waste of time. Firefox is FAR more susceptable in Vista than IE.
i've got more years experience in IT than you have in life!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I had it about a month ago. Its a right cnut, disabled running of .exe files so couldn't run task manager or rkill. Downloaded AVG and anti malware removed it completely. 1 week later its back and ever since then it just installs itself at random times under different names. Never seen that with XP, so i definately think its a Vista Issue and i will be reformatting the machine with XP over the weekend.

ITB BG 182
IE has been around alot longer than FF or chrome, people will know how to get around IE alot more no matter how much they change it as its uses an orignal base that the program was made with, if you know how to crack or create a program, worm, virus or anything else that can interefer with the base/core of IE then it will affect all versions of IE.
With FF or chrome you dont just update you have to completly reinstall the program and it changes more often then IE making it harder for virus's and such likes.

Ive had Vista on FF for the past year and not once had to reset my laptop. However, my other pc thats used by the family is on IE as i dont use it but ive had to reset it 2 times this year already.

185lb/ft dCi
Lets get a couple of facts thrown in here shall we, according to the national vulnerability database firefox 511 disclosed vulnerabilities and IE has 807. This however does not contain undisclosed vulns and third party apps, in which most vulnerabilities tend to lie.

NEVER trust any security tools installed on your computer that you have not seen before unless you have installed them yourself. Always check the spelling as most likely, as seen in this case too, they can't spell for s**t. a simple case of msconfig sometimes won't stop it if it is replicating itself. Best way is to find the process in task manager then search your computer for it. If you the results show it is stored in a folder, but you are unable to see the final. go to command prompt - change directory into the folder and use the ATTRIB command to change the attributes of the file so that it is viewable, then shift+delete = permanent delete.

/over and out

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
IE has been around alot longer than FF or chrome, people will know how to get around IE alot more no matter how much they change it as its uses an orignal base that the program was made with, if you know how to crack or create a program, worm, virus or anything else that can interefer with the base/core of IE then it will affect all versions of IE.
With FF or chrome you dont just update you have to completly reinstall the program and it changes more often then IE making it harder for virus's and such likes.

Ive had Vista on FF for the past year and not once had to reset my laptop. However, my other pc thats used by the family is on IE as i dont use it but ive had to reset it 2 times this year already.

Mate, you think any sort of infection is restriced to just one piece of software? Your logic is ridiculous. Re-installing an app won't get rid of a virus, just to clarify. IE is a lot more secure than FireFox and Chrome, which have no back-end, they are just purely browsing tools. That's why not a lot of companies allow them, they are massive security risks.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Go to http://download.microsoft.com
Search for the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" and download the latest version.
Run it. It may remove the malicious software automatically if nothing's been done to prevent it from running.

Failing that, download HijackThis and run it. Select anything that looks suspicous or doesn't relate to something you know is legitimate and choose "Fix selected". It's fairly unlikely you'll break anything legitimate but if you do, a simple re-install will usually fix it again.

Finally, always make sure your operating system and anti virus software are up to date with the latest patches. Do a Windows Update and make sure you install all the critical updates (including service packs). Then update your AV software and ensure it's scheduled to check for updates on a regular basis (at least once a day). Prevention is better than cure so you can also do yourself a favour by not using dodgy websites and not installing anything that you haven't obtained from a trusted source.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Pmsl. I don't know it all. (CLEARLY LOLZ)

But you're trying to tell me that Vista is an acceptable OS IF you don't use OUTLOOK (AN MS PRODUCT!!!) and IE? (also an MS product!)?

It's pisch for a number of reasons, but thanks for adding two more.

dk

911 GTS Cab
no I'm saying outlook and ie in general on a home computer is a no no, no matter what the os, they are the vulnerabilities. It's ok at work as you have thousands of pounds of security protecting you.

It's very difficult to get a virus from somewhere like hotmail and firefox is nowhere near as targeted as ie. Having a decent security product rather this free s**t people people seem to like to use, serves them right if they get a virus. I've not had one following my rules.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Vista is fine to use, as is XP and 7, or whatever else you want to use. Everything has vulnerabilities that can be exploited.

It's not the OS that's the problem with things, it's the hardware sat on the chair infront of the keyboard and monitor that's the problem with most malware/virus infections.

For instance, how many people here run with standard non admin accounts for normal usage? That eliminates quite a few vulnerabilities from the off :) But people are idiots, and don't do simple things like this to mitigate the risk becuase 'it's too much hassle' or 'yeah but I'll never get a virus I'm too clever' ;)

Last edited:
  dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
no I'm saying outlook and ie in general on a home computer is a no no, no matter what the os, they are the vulnerabilities. It's ok at work as you have thousands of pounds of security protecting you.

It's very difficult to get a virus from somewhere like hotmail and firefox is nowhere near as targeted as ie. Having a decent security product rather this free s**t people people seem to like to use, serves them right if they get a virus. I've not had one following my rules.

Hotmail is difficult to get a virus from? Are you blinkered or what? Outlook a risk? What planet are you on?

Firefox is more targeted everyday as it's becoming more popular and the hackers are very aware that it doesn't have the back end security IE does thus they can exploit it to f**k. Keyloggers are becoming more and more popular and you'd never even know it was there on Chrome etc

I've always used the same set-up, hardware firewall and a decent AV. I've had one or two backdoors slip through but they were detected and resolved completely on XP and 7.

On Vista I was repeatedly infected to the point of re-formatting. It's the OS the world should forget.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity dK, what do you do?

dk

911 GTS Cab
So because you have had issues with vista it's the worst os ever?

I'm a senior technical consultant for a leading IT reseller, been in the industry about 15 years, started off in tech support for Hewlett packard in their european head office in Stuttgart.

Now I do vmware, blade and San projects for customers. Presales through to implementation, get sold out at about £1100 a day, but that's enough about me.

As we're the uks no. 1 ms reseller we always run the latest software, we had a windows 2008 domain before it was even released, lot of pressure for us to do so from ms. We ran vista from it's introduction and have just started moving to 7, we never had any issues with vista, very stable product. Only thing really was making sure you had enough ram for it to run properly, they fixed that in 7 though, but ram is cheap anyway.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I've always used the same set-up, hardware firewall and a decent AV. I've had one or two backdoors slip through but they were detected and resolved completely on XP and 7.

On Vista I was repeatedly infected to the point of re-formatting. It's the OS the world should forget.

Interesting, seeing as 7 and Vista are very similar in most ways, and xp technically isn't as secure as either.

From a security point of view Vista is no worse, you've either been very unlucky or doing something wrong :p :)

I'm not saying Vista is a good os, I jumped from xp to 7 due to hardware, but have machines that run Vista elsewhere with no problems, ever.

I still maintain a lot of security 'issues' are the result of poor config and poor awareness/common sense.

And how are, and what, backdoors are getting through your steely defences?

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Deffo a virus I had it,

Install
Run scan

Start PC normally

Just to point out AVG is absolute SHITE!
Do as others have said, boot windows in safe mode, but install Avast. After you install Avast it will ask you if you want to restart the pc and let Avast scan for viruses before windows boots. This is your best chances of getting rid of all currept files

oh and mac os is alot more insecure than windows apparently :)
Referring to Apple, Maiffret said,"It's even a little scarier with them because they try to market themselves as more secure than the PC, that you don't have to worry about viruses, etc. Anytime there's been a hacking contest, within a few hours someone's found a new Apple vulnerability. If they were taking it seriously, they wouldn't claim to be more secure than Microsoft because they are very much not. And the Apple community is pretty ignorant to the risks that are out there as it relates to Apple. The reason we don't see more attacks out there compared to Microsoft is because their market share isn't near what Microsoft's is."