ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S1 Rallye - Rally Car Build

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Cheers chaps, I thought the write was awful...

What date is Goodwood you massive homo ?

Great write up, im 100% coming next year.

Your the one who dropped out because you got to drunk and slept with to many hookers while out skiing!

2nd August, come along I need someone to clean the windscreen..

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers chaps, I thought the write was awful...

Your the one who dropped out because you got to drunk and slept with to many hookers while out skiing!

2nd August, come along I need someone to clean the windscreen..

:eek:

Il be there mate, if you need anything im only 5 min drive from Goodwood

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Entry is £100 ish...

You will need a racesuit, helmet, gloves, competition B non race license to compete.

There is a road going class which your car would fall in to.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Tim? Race suit? Chuckles...

Rig+stig+_a04822cdc38147963521791d0e07d3fb.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
hahaha!!

Yea I didn't think that was needed ... it was a loose cable nothing serious..

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Well bit of an update, I still own the car. Not much has changed with it, I bought a house the later part of last year so things went on hold for a while.

I dug the car out of the workshop, back in Feb to check it over and get it ready for this year. I decided to put the car on the rolling road and to my suprise it made more than the 100bhp I was expecting it Made 134bhp and 117lbft. I now plan on just refreshing the engine later this year and sort some bits out in the engine bay.

IMG_7141_zpszej18egj.jpg

I have also since the last update fitted some new seats to replace the heavy omp seats.
16975461501_42925587c8.jpg

16790185239_473f21e51f_b.jpg

I still have some more jobs to do in the interior, I will be fitting a plumbed in extinquisher, handbrake and a navigator footplate as I plan to be going stage rallying later on in the year.

16356290393_de28b6616e_b.jpg

Over the weekend I decided to a test day at down ampney to get a taste for rallying and I have fallen in love with it even more, the weather was awful but I learnt alot about the car and I got some seat time driving in the pissing rain on a mixed wet and muddy surface. The car was very capable and impressed all day, despite us having some moments as you could imagine.

16354021354_8fbf3d9674_b.jpg

As the day progressed we got quicker and quicker suprising as we only had T1-r's and R888's with us so we ran the T1-r's all day making it very interesting at times. It started to dry up a little bit later in the afternoon so we starting pushing harder which in the end resulted in us having an even bigger whoopsy than we had hoped for, the car swapped ends on me at around 70mph which resulted in us hitting a huge mound of dirt side on at around 50+mph. The car didn't seem to be to damaged, most of it was cosmetic but the car did come off floor and cracked the windscreen as we landed.

16976385595_b791f41dd8_b.jpg

When we got back to the workshop we noticed a few other issues which we need to look at more closely, the boot floor as come away from the wheel arch and both wings have to come off so we can check chassis legs. The car seems to drive ok but is going to need some TLC before the next event.

One very dirty 106 -

16950430746_83338ca543_b.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
So after futher inspection it turns out I have twisted the back end of the car, after removing the seam sealer I found a lot of rust and a thumb sized hole between the arch and boot floor. The cage did its job and held the car in one peice, but because the cage is attached at the back to the rear arches it allowed the boot floor to move.

17016103510_d6bc4b5c10_c.jpg

I also stripped the front wings off to check for damage, to which apart from a few cosmetic scuffs I found nothing and the front of the car is straight. This left me with two options, repair the shell, replace the beam and fix a lot of other jobs that need doing or source another shell.

17017490089_4bf21c61a8_c.jpg

After pondering, I finally started looking for a shell and I found one which was 6 miles away with a new beam, perpex windows already fitted, cage mounts, seat rails and a gaz coilovers already fitted I decided it was a no brainer and a cheaper option than repairing my gti. Oh I forgot to mention its a S1 rallye which is even better, lighter, less to fall off and I have wanted one ever since buying the GTI.

I am picking this up tonight with two engines, bumpers, arches, headlights and a load of spares.

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

I have already started stripping my GTI, the rallye is going to need some work tidying it up but not alot to get me out racing again.
Sad times ...

17016104140_88b34100d5_c.jpg

If anyone is after parts for a 106 get in touch, I will be selling most of the bits off the gti.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
So it turns out the Rallye I have bought, has quite a history. I think it was owned by a member on here and was a car built by skip brown many years ago. I managed to dig up the old project threads on Rallye register from 2008. Part of me wants to put it back to standard, but I really can't see that happening.

Reg of the car is - M131 JFJ

Edit: I think @hsustyle owned the car before the previous owner?

Here is a better photo from last night -

16601973623_4043c27615_b.jpg

Megane R26
So it turns out the Rallye I have bought, has quite a history. I think it was owned by a member on here and was a car built by skip brown many years ago. I managed to dig up the old project threads on Rallye register from 2008. Part of me wants to put it back to standard, but I really can't see that happening.

Reg of the car is - M131 JFJ

Edit: I think @hsustyle owned the car before the previous owner?

Here is a better photo from last night -

16601973623_4043c27615_b.jpg
Oh man. I loved that car, I have owned this car three times and nearly bought the shell but don't have the space.
I'll post up my old progress blog tomorrow but here's a quick video of it on s**t tyres, was a proper little rocket! Wish my current s2 rallye felt that light!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Oh man. I loved that car, I have owned this car three times and nearly bought the shell but don't have the space.
I'll post up my old progress blog tomorrow but here's a quick video of it on s**t tyres, was a proper little rocket! Wish my current s2 rallye felt that light!

Awesome, thanks for the video! What suspension did it have on it when you had it, it is currently sitting on GAZ coilovers? I have also got the 16v engine you fitted in it, do you know the specs of the engine?

Megane R26
Awesome, thanks for the video! What suspension did it have on it when you had it, it is currently sitting on GAZ coilovers? I have also got the 16v engine you fitted in it, do you know the specs of the engine?
At the time it had skip brown 160lb springs with custom skip brown grpN spec dampers on the front and gaz adjustable dampers on the back.
The engine had a brand new cambelt two years ago, was a strong engine! One of those fabled twin pronged heads. Never had it in the rolling road but was serviced every 2k miles and ran like a dream!
Surprisingly clean underneath and had all the important welding done when I had it.
I got it as a 1.3 with various engine work and by skip brown, then 16v'd it myself.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Thanks for the reply, good to know the engine was looked after. The shell needs some love after looking more closely at it, so going to put it on its side this weekend and cut some of the rust out, clean up boot floor and weld in anything it needs. I will also be seam welding the boot floor and adding new cage plates.

The guy who I bought it off painted the bumpers and arches black which is a shame but not the end of world. I have just bought a new NSF wing for it aswell as it had a bump on circuit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99229870@N04/15440833520/sizes/l

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Ok so I thought I would give this an update, I fell out of love with the car a little after finding both sills and rear arch had rotten through so after going backwards and forwards deciding wether to scrap it. I decided to keep it and weld it up myself and get it ready for an event on the 7th November 2015.

First job was to find out ff there was any more rust so I stripped everything off the car, got the tank out and popped it on its side. I stripped back all of the paint on the chassis rails which the beam bolts to and also the fuel tank to discover more rust which needed cutting out. Not the best of jobs I went home looking like a chimney sweep or coal miner.

11863277_10205820320360781_6159723528417889582_n.jpg

21085843645_418a236e8d_b.jpg

21085851085_fde8c6c97d_b.jpg

21059663076_b2f02c27de_b.jpg

Once cleaned back I made up some patches to weld back in and add some strength, luckily my friend had just cut out the side of his T4 to have the window fitted so had plenty of thick steel knocking about. May I add, I am not a mechanic, fabricator or an engineer so no laughing lol! But these did genuinely weld in really well.

21075824812_95a8bbdefe_b.jpg

I didn't get any shots of it being welded in or the finished product as I was determined to get all of the repair work sorted. So the finished product once done looked like this once undersea and hammerite was added. I can't see the undersell lasting long, its going to be used a forest car so the gravel and stones will only beat the living s**t out of the floor. I also made up the brackets for the tank guards while it was up like this I just didn't grab a photo.

21085892505_4967578ce7_b.jpg

The car is now back the correct way up with the tank plumbed back in ready for the last of the fab work before we start putting it back together.

20464830773_fe5a6293d3_b.jpg

while I cracked on with getting the rest of the car together my friend started stripping the dash loom. I couldn't believe how much of it was and still isn't needed.

20898009098_779aed6b08_b.jpg

While the dash was out, we decided to fit a cross B Epas steering column which went in very well, all we had to make up were some brackets and modify how it fits to the rack. This should really help when I finally get round to fitting a plated diff next year.

20463276034_881e371101_b.jpg

I have got my BARS test booked for the 2nd October, we are hoping to have the car finished by the start of October so we can put some miles on it before the event. I will do my best to stay on top of updating this thread.

Clio 182 FF + Cup
Only just found this thread...
I owned it for 6 years, was the person who sold it to a member of 106rallye register...
It had a gripper diff and the skip brown 1300 engine when I had it, did 35,000 miles in it... still miss the car so much, so glad it's being used as intended!
Have you fitted a diff? It made the car, no one could keep up on the windy welsh roads!
So happy to see my little beauty again!!
Mike

Clio 182 FF + Cup
I owned it for 6 years, was the person who sold it to a member of 106rallye register...
It had a gripper diff and the skip brown 1300 engine when I had it, did 35,000 miles in it... still miss the car so much, so glad it's being used as intended!
Have you fitted a diff? It made the car, no one could keep up on the windy welsh roads!
Mike
The day I bought her The wheels were mega

Attachments

• IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7756.JPG
    IMG_7756.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 99
  Clio 182 FF + Cup
After reading the back thread, I sold to the guy who had it before @hsustyle, Ben? A guy off rallye register... he took the diff off for his rally car, that was a shame... the diff made the car, I've had a succession of 205 Gti's prior to this car, I kept her 6 years, I bought a clio 182 as the head gasket went, I had to sell her, I regret it every day!
I bought her from an import garage in Buckfastleigh who'd had it part exchanged by the original owner for a R32 Skyline... I paid £750 for it...
I by chance saw it advertised on auto trader, and thought that the garage didn't know what they had as skip browns was maybe someone they hadn't heard of...
I called them got the number from the build plate, called skip browns and they confirmed the spec... I bought it over the phone there and then!
The drive back from Devon to north Wales nearly gave me tinnitus!! She ran like a dream, the camber and castor settings were off, so I took her to skip browns to have the set up corrected, 7 happy years followed!
That car with the 1300 and the gripper diff was an absolute weapon.
My favourite car I've ever owned, the perfect car.

Last edited:

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Mike

The day I bought her The wheels were mega

After reading the back thread, I sold to the guy who had it before @hsustyle, Ben? A guy off rallye register... he took the diff off for his rally car, that was a shame... the diff made the car, I've had a succession of 205 Gti's prior to this car, I kept her 6 years, I bought a clio 182 as the head gasket went, I had to sell her, I regret it every day!
I bought her from an import garage in Buckfastleigh who'd had it part exchanged by the original owner for a R32 Skyline... I paid £750 for it...
I by chance saw it advertised on auto trader, and thought that the garage didn't know what they had as skip browns was maybe someone they hadn't heard of...
I called them got the number from the build plate, called skip browns and they confirmed the spec... I bought it over the phone there and then!
The drive back from Devon to north Wales nearly gave me tinnitus!! She ran like a dream, the camber and castor settings were off, so I took her to skip browns to have the set up corrected, 7 happy years followed!
That car with the 1300 and the gripper diff was an absolute weapon.
My favourite car I've ever owned, the perfect car.

My original advert to sell it, prior to the head gasket...
why why why did I sell?!
http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=55289

It was Simon I sold it to, memory jogged, then he sold to @hsustyle
I think I purchased at the end of 2004, then sold May 2011...
I had to go inside when he was loading it on the trailer.
Absolutely gutted I was!

So the car is built and is a fully log booked car. Its great to find out some more history. The car currently has a 1600 16v JP4 engine in it, with a Tran -X LSD.

Here are a few pics of it built and being used as a rally car, I have done a few tarmac events and out at Carewent on the 25th March.

_brys4862.jpg

_brys4973.jpg
_brys5073.jpg
_mrol9329.jpg
_mrol9485.jpg
28951155_10213015958927248_757528035107799040_o.jpg
28959037_10213015954327133_365908871199326208_o.jpg
29027710_10213015966087427_2175954775751786496_o.jpg
29063071_10213015962967349_9024024243662225408_o.jpg

Clio 182 FF + Cup
So the car is built and is a fully log booked car. Its great to find out some more history. The car currently has a 1600 16v JP4 engine in it, with a Tran -X LSD.

Here are a few pics of it built and being used as a rally car, I have done a few tarmac events and out at Carewent on the 25th March.

View attachment 1359291
View attachment 1359292 View attachment 1359293 View attachment 1359294 View attachment 1359295 View attachment 1359298 View attachment 1359299 View attachment 1359300 View attachment 1359301

Ah that's awesome! She was always great with an LSD :wink:
And being driven properly in Wales again!! I live about 5 miles from the horse shoe pass, used to love Sunday morning blasts to Macynllyth!
I used it every day for 7 years, what a car, so chuffed you're driving her properly

If you're ever selling please give me first refusal
She looks very different now! I loved the compomotive TH's
Mike

Last edited: