ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RUST advice

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
My bonnet has some rust developing on the corner as can be seen in the pics.

I’ll most likely be getting a front end respray at some point in the not too distant future and wondered wether it’s worth just replacing the bonnet and having the new one resprayed or is this still salvageable?

Thoughts?

BA71FACD-B65A-4EFE-A4ED-50B87FEE145A.jpeg
1F593CB9-F273-4F03-9F95-89B3B07F1BDF.jpeg

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Our cars are far too similar. I have rust in the very same spot.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Our cars are far too similar. I have rust in the very same spot.

Look forward to meeting up at some point mate, be good to get the two cars together for some pics.

Are you leaving yours or considering swapping the bonnet at some point too?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Bin that bonnet as plenty of decent 2nd hand available. If new wanted would try and get genuine Renault.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Jesus, never seen one that bad before!
Yeah get a new bonnet or a used mk2 one and have it repsrayed

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Look forward to meeting up at some point mate, be good to get the two cars together for some pics.

Are you leaving yours or considering swapping the bonnet at some point too?

We’ll definitely meet up some time!

I want to swap, but mine isn’t that bad yet and my money is better spent else where at the moment.

Flamer Barn Find
A lot of Clios will rust on the edges of the bonnet.

Arctic Blue ones seme to be particularly susceptible to it from my experience.

In the past i've went to a scrap yard, got a bonnet off a bog spec 1.2 and had it painted.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Bloody hell.
Wonder if this sort of thing has been down to a piece of sound deadening that's just been saturated in water. Or from a dodgy washer hose or something?

Not sure really, sound deadening was in good nick. I thought it was a poor quality aftermarket bonnet but appeared to be oem with 2004 sticker on when removed.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah - definitely get it replaced. My original one had a nasty chip and bubbling paint in the opposing corner - identical to what @Brigsy posted above.

I booked mine in for a full front-end respray and the bodyshop said it would be much easier and cheaper to simply put a freshly painted new bonnet on there. After all, the 1*2s just use a standard Mk2 bonnet anyway. I think at the time it was around £60 for an unpainted new bonnet - not worth the hassle in trying to repair that on yours, imo.