ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ_16v's ITB'd & Caged 182 Track Car (Was Crispy's)

Yozz'd up 182
This is why i'm making my own loom! that way I'll know exactly how it's all done and have my own diagrams etc

Once I get round to it, ill see if there's any interest in making some extra ones but it would be a very minimalistic loom with the bare minimum of compenents required to function. I have a friend who has been making some custom ECU looms for Impreza's using Raychem type 44 aerospace wire, which is what I'm also going to use, for the ecu loom anyway, decent thinwall wire is fine for the car loom.

While that is impressive and probably better.
Its not really helping fix the problem.

Best thing to do would be multimeter the wires?
Hopefully its something really simple.

Cro

Meg'd r27
What was it last time wouldn't let you connect or start? First i'd be trying to work out why it wont connect, it could easily be the main problem and you wouldn't know. Then you can start seeing what the values are and what sensors are/aren't being picked up

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
While that is impressive and probably better.
Its not really helping fix the problem..

I appreciate that, but it was just in response to another post.

I have offered a few suggestions but trying to diagnose an electrical fault over the net isn't easy. As has been said already by others, the only way is to systematically work your way through everything, checking for continuity and voltage at the relevant terminals.

BMW Z4
One more thing to check and thus rule out. Make sure your laptop port is actually on? Check in Bios to make sure. Is it using the COM or a USB port?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Just to keep you all updated the car will not be ready for quite a few months now :( I still need to buy a trailor and do my B+E licence so even if the car is finished now it wont be going anywhere.

So to keep me busy my new windows from ACW Motorsport Plastics will be coming next week, i'm also changing the fuel rail for a Jenvey metal one with a braided fuel hose and finally i'm making more looms to get rid of my cr*ppy Renault Loom + ECU!

:)

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
What car do you intend using as a tow car?

I'm in the same position as you regarding towing and only having B entitlement, I thought my only option was to do the B+E test but in actual fact I can tow the Clio legally on my current licence.

Taken from the direct.gov website;

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:
  • a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Obviously this has limitations but if your only going to be towing a clio its feasible to get a combination which complies with the rules. If you intend to tow something heavier or your using a 4x4 as a tow car then your probably as well to go for the B+E but for me I figured it was worth a bit of careful planning and then getting some practice towing before thinking about the B+E.

I have an Audi A6 1.9tdi, which weights 1480kgs unladen and has a gross of 2030kgs,
so that leaves 1470kgs, a lightweight 4 wheel trailer weighs 400kgs which leaves a towed capacity of 1070kgs. A stripped out clio will be comfortably less than that, 850-900kgs and still leaves some scope for spare wheels and some fuel etc and there's still a few hundred kgs to go in the tow car.

The trailer has to be plated with it's gross capacity so in my case this would be 1470kgs. I've spoken to 2 trailer manufacturers and they're both happy to down rate the trailer to what ever the customer wishes, it can also be re-plated back to it's design weight at a later date.

BMW Z4
Just to keep you all updated the car will not be ready for quite a few months now :( I still need to buy a trailor and do my B+E licence so even if the car is finished now it wont be going anywhere.

So to keep me busy my new windows from ACW Motorsport Plastics will be coming next week, i'm also changing the fuel rail for a Jenvey metal one with a braided fuel hose and finally i'm making more looms to get rid of my cr*ppy Renault Loom + ECU!

:)

Do my B + E license? My license has the following on it.

A
B
BE
B1
C1
C1E
D1
D1E
fklnp

is that because im an old fart and took mine in the 80s?

172 cup, Impreza P1
What car do you intend using as a tow car?

I'm in the same position as you regarding towing and only having B entitlement, I thought my only option was to do the B+E test but in actual fact I can tow the Clio legally on my current licence.

Taken from the direct.gov website;

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:
  • a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Obviously this has limitations but if your only going to be towing a clio its feasible to get a combination which complies with the rules. If you intend to tow something heavier or your using a 4x4 as a tow car then your probably as well to go for the B+E but for me I figured it was worth a bit of careful planning and then getting some practice towing before thinking about the B+E.

I have an Audi A6 1.9tdi, which weights 1480kgs unladen and has a gross of 2030kgs,
so that leaves 1470kgs, a lightweight 4 wheel trailer weighs 400kgs which leaves a towed capacity of 1070kgs. A stripped out clio will be comfortably less than that, 850-900kgs and still leaves some scope for spare wheels and some fuel etc and there's still a few hundred kgs to go in the tow car.

The trailer has to be plated with it's gross capacity so in my case this would be 1470kgs. I've spoken to 2 trailer manufacturers and they're both happy to down rate the trailer to what ever the customer wishes, it can also be re-plated back to it's design weight at a later date.

Good info that. I was having the same dilemma as to whether to get the licence, trailer, tow bar on the other car or keep the car Clio MOT'd, taxed and insured. This helps that decision to be made. Guess the trailer has to be braked.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Very small update for you!

My new Lexan Margard windows from ACW Motorsport Plastics arrived today, i'm very impressed with the quality of the windows and for £254 its an amazing price :)

6f4ebbc5.jpg

A few facts for you that you might like to know.

Standard front windows weigh just under 5kg each and my new Lexan front windows with sliders weigh 2.4 kg.

Not had chance to weigh the standard rear windows but the Lexan rears weigh 1.5 kg each.

I'll fit them as soon as i get a free moment :)

Evo 5 RS
I've taken the original moldings off my rear quarters Chris, going to try and re bond them. They are flat but should flex enough...

beats paying for the thermoformed ones

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I've taken the original moldings off my rear quarters Chris, going to try and re bond them. They are flat but should flex enough...
beats paying for the thermoformed ones

myself and tony were talking about attaching the rears to get them flat....
i was think put on a load of bond on the car, let this go off, then apply another lot and apply the window, the earlier coating that has gone off will then act as the spacer...

windows look good man, glad tony sorted you out
shall we arrange the P4P rear asap?

Mazda RX8 231
Quality project! Took me almost 2 days to read this (whilst playing Forza) but it was well worth the read!
I love the fact that you just go for it and dont mess about! I wish i had the minerals haha

TrackCar & F30 330d
UPDATE:

Have been really busy recently so i havnt been able to really do much on the car, but this evening i fitted my passenger side window. I really struggled to decide where to screw the self tappers into.

I first slotted the window in through the top of the door for a trial fit.

324a77f8.jpg

5e67231a.jpg

Allthough these windows are not thermoformed they fit very well and dont have big gaps like i thought they might have.

After making sure the window was nice and snug i removed it and took it inside to dismantal and wax up.

So here's some pics of that window in :)

550ea21b.jpg

30af4b53.jpg

0b90c901.jpg

a37ce360.jpg

8eb06cbd.jpg

Very pleased with how it looks and fits, 1 down 4 to go lol

With regards to starting the engine i have ordered some bits and bobs so i can make my new carbon dash

Pretty positive it will start so i'm looking forward to getting all the bits :)

Cro

Meg'd r27
From the photos anyway there certainly doesn't look like theres any if much difference from the normal

Clio Sport 172 ITB
chris. have you got the weight of the glass vs plastic yet? :p car is coming along really nice m8! next year mine comes off the road :D

TrackCar & F30 330d
They do indeed, just the ones i'm getting also!

Cant wait for this to be done now and eventually be out on track, will be good to have a little tussle with this car! :)

I've saved 10kg from each door by removing the window motors inner door skins and bracing and changing from glass to plastic! I was very pleased with that weight saving!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Cutting a long post short I fitted the drivers side window yesterday and re fitted my single wiper ready to be re wired to my new switch board

7bf0f581.jpg

dff5b5cd.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
good work again chris, windows look good in there.
i can't help but think i have left too much in my doors when i look at yours, i left mine in there so the interior door handles have something to mount too.... how are yours going in?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Nearly finished my wiring!!!!!!

I now have
Brake lights
Indicators
Rain/side lights
2 speed wiper motor
Radiator fan

Just have
Ecu & fuel pump
Started motor

Does anybody know the safest way to stop the engine. Can I just stop the power to the ecu to stall the car?