ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Route Napoleon in winter

Wanted to go to Nice to meet someone, and wondered if it would be possible to go through the Gorges du Verdon and route Napoleon at this time of the year. The weather was sunny and windy, which would prevent too much ice forming on the road. I checked the 182 tyre pressure and oil level and was off by 9 in the morning.

After one hour drive, seeing the slightly snowy Verdon moutains
D958-01.jpg

BG182 pretty fit (new discs and pads, recent shocks and engine mounts, new Hankook winter tyres front and Michelin PS2 rear)
D958-03.jpg

Point Sublime, the name speaks for itself
D958-04.jpg

Might get a few points for Dirtiest Car Competition 2015 :smile:
The car is an absolute joy sitting on OZ F1 15" in terms of steering feel and handling.
D958-05.jpg

On the way down to Castellane, the conditions got a little bit more interesting, including a few oversteer moments on fresh snow.
Only traffic was hero postman !
D958-06.jpg

A bit more traffic on the Route Napoleon to Grasse with a lot of twitchy left-hand corners, but still massive fun thanks to winter tyres.
D958-07.jpg

Wasn't expecting that much snow, just 50km away from Mediterranean sea...
D958-08.jpg

The 182 was very fun and easy to drive. I left the ESP on but it was getting in only after a half turn of opposite lock. ABS was really helpful too as I was able to stop even in the snow after one or two braking straight ahead. At some point, I went past two E30 325i, Renault Gt turbo and 4L and a 309 GTI having as much fun on the other way. All in all, an excellent day !

Suzuki Jimny
Jealous!

Did the same drive in the middle of summer in a black 106 rallye with no air-con. Sweating buckets!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Stunning scenery!

Crazy how well you can still enjoy these cars with winter tyres on.

Cheers Lal.
tbh the tyres are really average on dry road, and even in damp / flooded conditions. Can't wait to fit two front Exaltos (and the roads to dry...)