ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 gtt / 172 / 172 turbo Project

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Nice car. What comp. do you have in that engine?
By looking on he original pistons I cant say that it looks to be a lot that you
can take of on the pistontop, right?

///Ohde

A

ashy_gtt

Project 5 is going well, done about 200miles in her now and 130 of those were today... Headed South on the A1 and got as far as York, re-fuel'd and came back... She was faultless, the acceleration in 5th is unbelievable even at half throttle (not dared to put my foot right down yet plus its not mapped for WOT)

Can't wait to get the engine Run in!!! :cool:

Zeitronix ordered today so mapping should be easier once it arrives!

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ZR-2/ZR-2.htm

A

ashy_gtt

Had a spot of bother with the new engine last week... She developed an oil leak from the bottom of the timing belt cover....

So decided that I would strip her down and investigate. Whilst it was in bits I thought it would be a good excuse to add a second breather to the rocker cover and open the oringinal one up a bit as she had been breathing quite heavily.

Just thought I'd upload some pics as some of you may find it interesting?

Engine Mount removed

DSCF3160.JPG

Plenum Removed

DSCF3161.JPG

Standard breather plate removed, pic shows how the vapour passes through the plate allowing oil dropplets to seperate out and run back into the engine.

DSCF3163.JPG

Clocking in TDC

DSCF3164.JPG

TDC Locking pin (home made) Fitted.

DSCF3166.JPG

Cams pulleys ready to remove, you can see the inlet cam side of the belt is wet where as the exhaust side is dry!!

DSCF3167.JPG

THe culpret, caught red handed!!

DSCF3170.JPG

Cam Cover removed

DSCF3172.JPG

Cam Cover re-fitted

DSCF3174.JPG

Modified Breather Plate fitted, ive added a second breather port on teh RHS under the throttle body.

DSCF3175.JPG

DSCF3176.JPG

Back together and running again, still need to cover some miles to run her in, but its all good fun :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Awesome project!!!!

What kind of IC or CC are you running, as there's not much room in a standard 5 to go for a front mount?

What kind of revs does the turbo start to spool up

A

ashy_gtt

Awesome project!!!!

What kind of IC or CC are you running, as there's not much room in a standard 5 to go for a front mount?

What kind of revs does the turbo start to spool up

I'm running a front mount m8, you're right there isn't much room in there anymore...

looking at my logs, at above 80% throttle it starts to make boost at just under 3000rpm. Its a small T3. Only running 6psi at the moment but its very strong on and off boost!!

A

ashy_gtt

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] To cut a long story short, for my next mod I've gone from

Orig.JPG

To This

finished.JPG

All to get the speedo working
eek.gif

Anyway, its all working as it should, even the trip computer works out average speed etc LOL! says im getting 99.9mpg tho (I wish)

Just need to decide on a steering wheel... What do you think?
[/FONT]

A

ashy_gtt

Anything but direct m8, all had to be fabricated to fit, then re-wired!! Total and utter nightmare!!

340i
ABSOOOOOOOOOOOOOLUTLY amazaing project!

I would even know where to start with that dash... truely brilliant :D

I was impressed before I saw the dash!! :eek: staggering work! well done...must have been a hell'ova job! :approve: looks great.

I would consider a black suede steering wheel..something like an Omp Corsica.

A

ashy_gtt

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Last thing to do was to get the temp gauge to work (it's not worked on the gtt dash either) so I machined and adapter at work...

adaptor1.JPG

Fitted the sensor

adaptor2.JPG

Then fitted it to the engine

adaptor3.JPG

Now I have a fully working dash
smile.gif
well happy.
[/FONT]

A

ashy_gtt

Well,

Interesting weekend… Took my car to a friend on Saturday to get the map finished off properly, it was a bit of a struggle due to the clutch slipping as the boost came in hard in 4th or 5th… 3rd wasn’t too bad but for the revs to rise from 2500rpm to 7000rpm is so quick that its very difficult to map accurately… Anyway we knocked it on the head and I set off home… At least the car had survived its first long run out 350 hard miles in one day.

Anyway had to decide what to do and knowing I wasn’t getting the best out of it with a slipping clutch I pulled the engine back out on Sunday, removed the clutch, and its now on its way back to Helix to have the torque rating increased!!

clutch.JPG

Shame that I’ll miss out on the track time at FCS but I’ll be there on the RTOC stand in the Vee if anyones about :eek:

Ashy.

A

ashy_gtt

Couldn't get the Helix sorted in time for Santa POD this next Friday so I've had to go down the AP Paddle route...

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
DSCF3522s.JPG

Engines now back in so will be finishing it off tomorrow and hopefully taking it for a test run :)

See what sort of times its capable of down the strip!
[/FONT]

A

ashy_gtt

Yo Adey, no real updates at the mo, had it mapped fully 2 weeks ago but haven't driven it since... Got a few things to do on it before national day but nothing major...

Trouble is I've got a new project on the go in the garage so its been sitting outside for a while!!

Didn't know you had a 1*2?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah my second 17poo now, this ones about to go to omex 4 mapping, will make its track debue at nat day, would b cool 2 c u hooning the turbo about

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
This project is just AwesomeTastic!

My hat goes off to you mate, in fact, here <gives hat away>

Amazing piece of kit. I'm sure it's mentioned, but, what kinda power is to be expected? Also, what gearbox is it using as a matter of interest?

A

ashy_gtt

As i'm only running 803's its only good for 7psi boost. saying that I'm guessing that at that boost its going to be around 200 - 220bhp?

The plan is to run it at that power level for the time being until its proven to be reliable. I just want to use and enjoy it for a while.

The gearbox is a standard Phase 1 172 box, seems to be holding out fine at the moment.

R5 GTT
Ashy, What can I say your an inspiration I will be looking @ this thread alot in the process of doing my 172 conversion into my little R5 GTT.

P.s. many thanks for all the tips and advice via RTOC matey via pm.

E36 328
:O just read through this thread and its amazing how you can just fabricate stuff and make it work! wish i could do it! what do you do for work it MUST be something engineering like?

Great work btw, absolutely sick car!! would love to see some vids, especially on the track!

Mk3 Clio dynamique SX
i thought my good mates YB cossie transit van was a good project a 172 turbo in a gtt awsome... legend!

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Absolutely brilliant project log, loving this tbh.

This thing must go like a rocket.