ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault 5 gtt / 172 / 172 turbo Project

Mk3 Clio dynamique SX
this is a great thred. My mate is building a jeep from scratch, love these types of things - looking forward to the updates....

keep the updates comming.....

A

ashy_gtt

Brief Update, since building this engine the turbo has always had a slight leak from the rear seal. This meant that oil would weap onto the exhaust housing and burn off!! It was ok but sometimes after a good thrashing would smell a bit.

Anyway, I thought I'd buy a rebuild kit and get it sorted out!

Some pics.

turbo.jpg

comp.jpg

zorst.jpg

And back together!

blower.jpg

The glass blaster at work does a good job :)

All back together and all is well, no smoke and boosting well!!

Looking forward to some events this year!

A

ashy_gtt

Top job, Ashy out of interest what turbo is that your using ?

Erm, its a SAAB T3 mate, off a 900 I think... Tbh it was just a spare I used to build the manifold and downpipe up but in the end decided to use it and its been great!

R5 GTT
Erm, its a SAAB T3 mate, off a 900 I think... Tbh it was just a spare I used to build the manifold and downpipe up but in the end decided to use it and its been great!

I have picked up a similar t3 turbo but of a cossie my rear housing is a little different to yours.

alien green rs133
i cant get over how epicly rapid this is, and all the work is to a standard i would stamp with my quality seal :D

hope to see you soon mate love this car :D

A

ashy_gtt

Just a quick update, the car drove 400 miles round trip, did 18 runs at Pod on the 29th (and the gearbox never faultered) with road tyres the best time was 13.8 @ 105mph.

Next stage is to whip the engine out this winter, bigger clutch, bigger injectors and a bit more boost. Should be interesting :D

A

ashy_gtt

Coming along good mate!
Power figs look good!

That turbo looks very similar to mine!

Nah she's not up and running yet mate, new ECU is here just need to find some time to get the loom built up and fit it all!!

That turbo's on its limit really its only a small 50 trim T3. I've bought a 2wd cossie turbo which is the next step, could do with finding a 4wd comp wheel and cover too but they are like rocking horse poo.

Its all good fun tho :)

A

ashy_gtt

Managed to get a bigger wheel and cover for my 2wd turbo :D

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 255
  R5 GTT
Going for 300bhp then matey, what ECU did you go for in the end? Adaptronic?
Got any more pics of your 5 with the new bonnet on:D

A

ashy_gtt

Going for 300bhp then matey, what ECU did you go for in the end? Adaptronic?
Got any more pics of your 5 with the new bonnet on:D

Hi m8, aye 300bhp would be nice, no new pics really as the cars never really left the garage since Mallory!

A

ashy_gtt

Finaly got round to modifying my dash (had to cut 1" off each end) the new flocking made the steering wheel look old and tatty so it was replaced. Love the new look now feels much more modern.

Attachments

• user29_pic10852_1269722796.jpg
    user29_pic10852_1269722796.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 335
  • user29_pic10853_1269722883.jpg
    user29_pic10853_1269722883.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 360
A

ashy_gtt

Long time no update... But to be brief...

Put it all back together with the bigger turbo but my clutch wasn't able to hold anything more than 12psi of boost. So took it down to Pod in May last year and broke the bottom end. Spun a shell and welded it to the crank....

View attachment 56309

So whilst I re-built the engine I thought I'd also do some body work. The shell was rusty (rotten in places) so out came the grinder and welder.

First job was to repace the windscreen surround.

screen.jpg

As you can see it was fairly useless.

So I chopped it out and welded a new one in place.

screen_out.jpgnew_screen.jpg

Next Job was Sills and rear Bumper mounts, I measured them up and got some new ones laser cut....

bump2.jpgbump1.jpgsill2.jpgsill3.jpgsill5.jpgsill4.jpg

Job done...

Now onto prep and paint for the full shell.

body3.jpgbody2.jpg

Then off to the body shop...

car1.jpg

Shell in Primer...

DSC_0024.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0019.jpg

Got the shell back from the paint shop last weekend lookin lovely :)

paint1.jpgpaint3.jpgpaint2.jpg

And then had the chap from A1 windscreens in today to fit a nice new shiney windscreen.

screen2.jpgscreen1.jpg

So thats the last years work in 1 post... Still plenty to do but its gathering pace so hopefully be up and running again this year?!?

A

ashy_gtt

Bit of an update, progress is slow, but I've started on the engine build:

F4R to 02J mounting plate fitted to block

Adaptor_Plate.jpg

Engine & box offered up.

Engine_Bay.jpg

Engine mounts made

Finished.jpg

Flywheel spacer machined.

Fly_Wheel.jpg

Tial Wastegate purchased.

Wastegate.jpg

Plenty of Lube.

1.jpg

Crank in place, clearing threas.

2.jpg

Crank fitted, ARP bolts.

3.jpg

Pistons & Rods built up.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Botto End Built Up

6.jpg

7.jpg

Got all my new bits from Reno today, timing belt, new oil spray jets, seals etc... So hope to get the engine built up this weekend...

Then I can test fit it into the bay :)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Can't believe you painted it Trophy Red..............

It's looking good mate, if you need a hand over the weekend give me a shout :)