ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remap BHP increases

Clio 172 Cup
Hi everyone, just a bit of advice needed for a fairly new Clio driver please...

I work for a Renault dealer and asked yesterday about a remap, I was quoted £130 but was told to only expect a 9bhp increase, is that correct? I already have a induction kit, exhaust, de-cat and its pretty quick, would the remap make that much of a difference? The mileage is 73000 and just had cambelt and dephaser done, is that mileage too high to start messing about with?

Also a few people at work say my car has a cam, but having only driven my 172 I have nothing to compare it with. It is lumpy when first started (been told they all are) but I hit the limiter at 6500 instead of the redline (7000), is 6500 the normal limit? The power is in 2 stages, below 4k its ok and above 4k all hell breaks loose!!! (3rd gear wheel spins in the wet at silly speeds). I took out a Honda civic type R the otherday and was surprised how much quicker my car is.

Many thanks

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
A map will give u 5 bhp tops. It smooths out flat spots. Is their receipts for cams? The redline should be 7250

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
0.025 bhp tops.

tbh, those mods won't have made a noticeable difference over standard. Apart from noise, you'll just have a quick example (the standard cars rarely make book power). As long as it's been looked after, the engines are fairly bullet proof. 73k will be fine to tinker with it if it's got a good service history

on a relatively standard car, a remap will only improve the drivability. Don't expect noticeable power increases.

your car does indeed have a cam, above 5k is the 'kick' in which the car 'comes onto cam' and some magic happens which I don't understand but the car comes into its element. They like to be driven above 5k

the 6.5k limiter seems very low, Chip-mk1 may be able to explain

Last edited:
Renault flol most dealerships don't know the difference between a megane and a clio.

Remap will not see an increase just better driveability.

How did your work friends come the the conclusion its got cams. ?? Welcome to the forum:)

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for your replies.... People at work (and myself) think it has a cam due to being a bit lumpy when idling, a massive difference in power above and below 4k (its like driving a turbo) not smooth and progressive and its fast! The redline is definatly not 7250 maybe 6750 at most, I'll take a nice Sunday drive in min and check! I have a rolling road print out from before I bought it, 183 bhp with exhaust and de-cat. The de-cat did make a noticeable difference in power.

I think for £130 I'll give it a go, they also have a rilling road so I'll find out exactly what it makes.

You're right most (all) Renault dealers are useless we're also Nissan, Peugeot, Ford, Fiat, Subaru and service centres so we have a couple of mechanics that are good (most I would not let near my car, the stories I could tell!!)

I do clearly realise the car has 2 cams, saying "a cam" is just a term.

Are there any other mods you would recommend? Nothing too expensive!!!

I can 100% gurantee your car is not cammed and that its typical renault techs not having a clue. They are all lumpy and all go like the stink.

Get the car up to temp and see where the limit comes in. If its below 7000rpm you have a problem.

Where is the remap going to be done?? For £130 i would steer clear

Clio 172 Cup
I'll try it in min. Its £130 for staff, retail is £229 (or somewhere around that mark). Like I say we are not just Renault, we do anything and everything that will make the owner money. We are also a official superchips dealer so it would be their software. Someone from engineering does it not a Renault tech. Right I'll let you know where redline it shortly...

I'll try it in min. Its £130 for staff, retail is £229 (or somewhere around that mark). Like I say we are not just Renault, we do anything and everything that will make the owner money. We are also a official superchips dealer so it would be their software. Someone from engineering does it not a Renault tech. Right I'll let you know where redline it shortly...

Generic map then. Steer clear of it, you can get an RSTuner for less.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks for your replies.... People at work (and myself) think it has a cam due to being a bit lumpy when idling, a massive difference in power above and below 4k (its like driving a turbo) not smooth and progressive and its fast! The redline is definatly not 7250 maybe 6750 at most, I'll take a nice Sunday drive in min and check! I have a rolling road print out from before I bought it, 183 bhp with exhaust and de-cat. The de-cat did make a noticeable difference in power.

I think for £130 I'll give it a go, they also have a rilling road so I'll find out exactly what it makes.

You're right most (all) Renault dealers are useless we're also Nissan, Peugeot, Ford, Fiat, Subaru and service centres so we have a couple of mechanics that are good (most I would not let near my car, the stories I could tell!!)

I do clearly realise the car has 2 cams, saying "a cam" is just a term.

Are there any other mods you would recommend? Nothing too expensive!!!

its not an iceberg silver 172 cup is it? A lad from the north east owned it and that made silly power as standard

Ph2 172
Your car should definitely rev to 7k. Unless your cts is shagged and the 'cold' rev limiter is coming in? Or timing could be out?

And what do you think RSTuner is??

This is the EXACT statement you made when I suggested an RS tuner in another thread. Yes we all know it's generic, but it's -

A- cheaper
B- tried and tested.

Please stop implying that people don't know that an RS tuner is a generic map, because we know.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Thats because people think its the be all and end all. A generic map is a f**king generic map.
And what thread did i say that in?

As has been echo'd in this thread, all mapping the car will do is improve the drivability.
I know it's only a generic map but I've got the 98Ron map on my car which I loaded on myself. Personally I think it was well worth the money so that's my 2p.
The 5k kick is now gone and it feels far more torquey between 2k - 3k rpm. Becomes very usable after about 3k.
Also with the map my car will rev to 7500, as has been echo'd again in this thread, if yours is below 7k, something is wrong.

Clio 172 Phase 2
My limit is around 6.5k aswell. Only tried this a few times in 2nd gear tho. Now I seen so many people say this ain't right. I'm gna have to go for a test drive and my kick at 5k is not as big as my bro 182 5k kick

My limit is around 6.5k aswell. Only tried this a few times in 2nd gear tho. Now I seen so many people say this ain't right. I'm gna have to go for a test drive and my kick at 5k is not as big as my bro 182 5k kick

The rev limit is lower in 1st and 2nd, will only rev out in the other gears.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy

Wrong.

IIRC the little green "shift" light comes on earlier 3rd and 4th, but I'm not sure if the limit alters too.

If it's not revving to around 7200 then either you need a new thermostat or coolant temperature sensor(CTS), or both

RB 182 195bhp

No it's not. Rev limit is the same 7250 in all gears. It is only 6500 when the oil is still cold. Even if the water temp is at the normal level, the oil isn't for a little longer. It gives it's self the lower rev limit to protect it a little. Same as civic type r's won't engage v-tec when cold.

A generic map is a f**king generic map.

Regardless!! Someone still had to write the map. And i would pay double the going rate to have a generic map that has been written by someone with experience in mapping f4r engines and has owned most genres of the rs range.

Instead of someone with a massive worldwide name but knows f**k all about the characteristics of the 172/182 and what they benefit from on a tuning basis.

So no a generic map is not just a generic map!!!

Last edited:
No it's not. Rev limit is the same 7250 in all gears. It is only 6500 when the oil is still cold. Even if the water temp is at the normal level, the oil isn't for a little longer. It gives it's self the lower rev limit to protect it a little. Same as civic type r's won't engage v-tec when cold.

Actually it changes to 7000rpm 3/4/5th gears.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats because people think its the be all and end all. A generic map is a f**king generic map.
And what thread did i say that in?

No its not, they vary a lot, the RS Tuner is one of the better ones.

Edit: Oops, should have read MartinR's reply saying same thing before I replied, sorry to repeat you!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rugs99, if your car is cold/hot limiter at 6500rpm and 7000rpm, instead of the normal 6800 and 7250, then it sounds like it already has a remap of some sorts on it.

Take rolling road prints with a pinch of salt when comparing different cars, they do vary wildly between different places.