ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle, well theres a surprise!

:rasp:

Morning, I bought a 172 cup a week ago, not a bad little car tbh - strange having to rev it quite a bit as am used to a 1.8T, and VAG build quality, I can deal with the odd rattle inside, but one on the outside is doing my head in.

Have been under the car prodding and pulling on things, cant replicate the noise so dont know how to fix, any clues?

The noise - "rattle" is the best word to describe it, cant hear it with windows closed, but with drivers window open you can hear it faintly just driving along normally, which I presume is just through the car vibrating, now when you hit bumps on our crap roads is where it is at its worst, much more obvious. It sound just as if there is a washer or something bouncing up and down/ wobbling about, metal on metal but not damaging, just lose if that makes sense, but where?

I've done a search and had a browse on people saying heat sheilds, but as I say from being underneath shaking stuff, I cant replicate the sound to fix it? Key points to check/ how to check. Oh and I've tried rocking the car to get the rattle, no luck..

HELP?! :S:boring:

Pretty sure the noise if from the rear, but will get looking around the front too this weekend :boring:

Not your exhaust is it? Maybe your rubber in the mount is buggered and its metal on metal?

Gave that a good pull side to side and up and down, nothing.
Definately sounds like a little piece of metal almost bouncing/ rattle, rather than a knocking. If that makes sense lol.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Exhaust heatshield? Mine didnt look like it was touching but it used to when the exhaust was hot. Fixed with some washers.

Exhaust heatshield? Mine didnt look like it was touching but it used to when the exhaust was hot. Fixed with some washers.

This is what I've kept reading but I cant replicate the noise to find out, It would make sense as the tinny looking heatshield would make the right noise.
Washers you say, where am I fixing these washers? Between the heatshield and the car, or the heatshield and exhuast

172 and vw passat
I have the exact same problem and its Deffo the same noise I'm getting. I replaced my exhaust hangers but it wasn't that. When you drive with the door open it sounds like its coming from rear drivers side wheel but iv done the same had the car jacked up and can't find anything. I do have a heat sheild hanging but rattling that off my exhaust dosnt make the same noise.

I have the exact same problem and its Deffo the same noise I'm getting. I replaced my exhaust hangers but it wasn't that. When you drive with the door open it sounds like its coming from rear drivers side wheel but iv done the same had the car jacked up and can't find anything. I do have a heat sheild hanging but rattling that off my exhaust dosnt make the same noise.

Even though I cant hear your noise, I would say we're the same! I'm gonna hopefully stick it up on some ramps this weekend, if not gonna do some slow driving over some bumps in a car park with people looking and trying to find where the noise is from ha! I'll keep you informed if I solve it, well more like when I solve it as it must sound s**t when driving about.

rb182 cup
i'd say exhaust bracket...thats welded to the backbox...mine was rattling for ages till it fell off

I better find it and fix it or I'll be selling again soon lol.

Crap video, and sounds more like a squeak here but definately a rattle.

th_1ba286e1.gif

Certain it sounds from the right rear, I know I'm sat on the right hand side but just seems next, and behind me. But there is nothing on the right rear to rattle?! :mad:

i to had and annoying rattle from the back
it turned out the be the rear wiper motor had come loose

Will get the trim off and give that a check too even thought it sounds external, this car is going to be rebuilt by me to cure it lol

Boot shook as much as I can without ripping it off - negative
Exhaust mount changed - negative

Getting severely pissed off - affirmative

More descriptive of the noise, sounds exactly like keys being shook lightly, no its not my keys ha.
I just can't figure it out, sounds like a washer bouncing around and rattling, a really light noise, nothing 'damaging' if that makes sense.
Doest change with exhaust note, can knock it out of gear and still does it, when going over bumps, so it's vibration movement doing it.

HELP!!

Taken the rear seats out and checked to see if theres anything underneath them, like maybe coins?

I think what i said's a long shot... but its worth a try and only takes a sec to have them out!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I had a rattle coming from the boot mechanism, bit of a PITA but perhaps stick a trusting friend in the boot to help identify.

Nope, appear tight!

Took my mate to get a new car today so we did some listening with the windows down.

Come up to speed bump:
Front up, no noise.
Rear up slight noise.
Front down, no noise.
Rear down, jingle noise again..

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
have you checked if there is anything trapped on the spring mounts? I had a front spring broken at the end and it sounded exactly as you describe.

BTW check the front ones as well. I always thought it was the rear on my car but was front in the end

LY 182
Also the plastic trim on the inside of the boot lid rattles and sounds similar! Lol at this thread, hundreds of ideas of things that's could fall off your car, must fill people with confidence!

DAR

172 Cup toy
Only hear it with windows down?

Window mech? I know you said from rear of car, but ears can play tricks............

have you checked if there is anything trapped on the spring mounts? I had a front spring broken at the end and it sounded exactly as you describe.

BTW check the front ones as well. I always thought it was the rear on my car but was front in the end

If the rain ever stop I may pop the rear springs out and make sure no fractures in them etc.

Also the plastic trim on the inside of the boot lid rattles and sounds similar! Lol at this thread, hundreds of ideas of things that's could fall off your car, must fill people with confidence!

Ha its worrying isn't it, everyone sharing their own rattles. This doesnt sound dangerous, just damn annoying. Not in the boot, thats had a good shake

Only hear it with windows down?

Window mech? I know you said from rear of car, but ears can play tricks............

Will shake the hell outta the door tomorrow ha

Turn the car upside down and shake. All Yeh loose change will fall out. ;)

That's one solution ;)

When my window is fully down it rattles in the door a little bit.​

As above, will give the doors a shake but 99.9% sure outside and at the rear

Been under the car for over an hour today

- Heat Shields removed
- Both exhaust mounts replaced
- Boot shook
- Doors shook
- Hit and pulled on everything

Went for a drive, still there. Jingle bell over bumps!

Ph2 Flamer
I had this, tie a mate onto an inspection trolley or skateboard and tie that to the underside of the car. Boot it down the road and they can pull themselves up the rope and have a listen under the car. Don't go over a speed bump.

clio ph2 172
Have you got anti rattle clips / springs in rear brakes??? Is it the pads rattling against caliper or the disk?? Just a thought I had this on my previous car, only my opinion. Thanks Harry.

I've tried lightly placing my foot on the breaks and still hear the noise, have had a prod around but will be doing rear discs n pads soon anyway so IF it is there it'll be eliminated, doesn't appear to be anything though :(

clio ph2 172
Was only a thought buddy as I've had it before... Handbrake cable hitting anything?? Just random things like that mate.