ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rain sensor, how to clean?

Clio 182
It does not seem to work on my 182. Someone suggested in one of the threads that it might need cleaning up.

Can someone please let me know where the sensor is located and how to get to it?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Have a look in the guides section.
Someone has written a guide on how to do it.
The rain sensor is between the interior lights panel and the windscreen.

Clio 182
Thanks mate. I already found the guide, I just was not sure where to find the sensor.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "between the interior lights panel and the windscreen".

Do I find it under the boot or from inside the car?

DMS

A thirsty 172
From inside the car.
If you're sat in the front seats, then just above your head are two lights. One of them is the light that comes on when you open the doors, the other one is a little map reading light that you point in various directions. These are the interior lights I was referring to.
If you remove the plastic panel they're sat on at the end closest to the windscreen, you should gain access to the rain sensor mechanism.

Clio 182
On my 182 there is no gelpack!

Is the gelpack there for all cars or does the 182 sensor work without it?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
On my 182 there is no gelpack!

Is the gelpack there for all cars or does the 182 sensor work without it?

Whats on yours?

Any pics?

I was going to have a look at mine today as i can see a bubble.

DMS

A thirsty 172
No idea TBH. I've never took mine apart. I read up on how to do it but never had to in the end.
I had erratic auto wipers, but noticed my wiper blades were quite worn. I brought new blades and that fixed them for me.

Clio 182
Fixed.
The problem was that there was NO gel pack on mine so the rain sensor did not work and NEITHER did the intermittent wipers function.

I remembered that the windscreen was replaced by a previous owner. It looks like that when they did that they did not put the gel pack in ...

I called Renault and it looks like that you cannot buy the gel pack, you have to buy the whole sensor which is over £50. Crazy!!!

So what I did was to remove the sensor and just put clear liquid GEL where the gel pack was supposed to be and put it back. Works fine now :)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Aweseome.

Took mine off and had a look.
Just an air gap on mine. Quick clean and push back on sorted it :D

Clio 182
The gel solution without the pad does not seem to work perfectly though as it needs plenty of water to get it going and not just a few drops.

My mechanic found a gel pack for me at a reasonable price so I will buy it soon, probably will wait until later though as I do not really need this in the Summer and I am rather broke at the moment!!!